BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. TigertreeJosh

TigertreeJosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to see if anyone could help me out with a weird error thing this morning. When I was getting on the freeway I was kind of rocketing on in what may or may not have been a response to a dick bag in a convertible 911 with a red interior and vanity plate wearing a straw hat, my display went totally blank followed by an error message that only showed for a second so I can't totally remember it but it was something like ab1.5 of a61.5 or something like that, then all of the lights came on at once like when I turn the bike on then it was just normal. Never lost power or anything.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Check the wiring where is goes around the airbox on the rh side of the frame. If there is no damage you possibly have (had) moisture in the dash.
  3. TigertreeJosh

TigertreeJosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's mostly garage kept but there was a night last week when I got home after my kid was asleep and I couldn't use the garage and then it got caught in a downpour. They have to be built to withstand a little rain though right?
  4. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:

THAT ASSHOLE IS REALLY TAILGATING YOU...
    XallengeXccepted and Stromius like this.
  5. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I have the SW-Motech center stand. It makes everything just a bit easier. Its not a bad design, although compared to the standard BMW 1200/1150/800 etc center stand, its not as good.

To qualify that statement, there is no "foot" bar to step on to move it down, you store of vertically step on it, then shift your foot to hold it horizontal as you shift the bike back...all of which can make it awkward, at least until you get used to it.

That being said, once you get the muscle memory down, it's pretty easy. I just grip the engine crash bars and shift the bike back (takes less than 1/4 second). I bought mine from an inmate (never opened). I don't know if I'd buy it new.

Hope that helps, friend.

-cFogs
  6. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info /review ;)

Where does it bolt onto the bike at?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Nope. Not the dash anyway. I've done a post on waterproofing the dash. Go find it.
  8. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    OK. I'll give this all a go soonest Wednesday because I have solid work for the today through then.

Centerstand: Twisted Throttle had one a while back for the XC only.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  9. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    It had 2 brackets that attached on the stock pegs. It takes 5 minutes to install (minus that spring....the spring...well...good luck).

@slide is right...Twisted Throttle has them. (Good people there, if you've never worked with them)
  10. tigrebleau

tigrebleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling my '07 X, 3500 miles, new everything (tires, chain, sprockets, cable, fluids, brakes, shock, aux gas tank, more). PM me if interested.
    Tigrebleau
  11. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    maybe put a link up Tigrebleau to your CL or whatever ad? Or list everything here with a picture or several and a price and we can spread the word? GLWS
  12. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Looks good, but you will need to beef up the tail section if going off road. The tire will grab your license plate. Also look on the front page here regarding air shock mod. Steve
    XallengeXccepted and Stromius like this.
  13. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice one!
    Stromius likes this.
  14. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha got one the guy said was from an XChallenge....install it ... go through the hassle of that spring...a few skinless knockless later....ends up too short...barely lifts the bike :D. It was from a XCountry.
    In hindsight i should have believed my own...eyeballing...or the half assed measurement i took kinda confirming it's touch and go here... :D
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Caveat emptor! That's gotta be the worst feeling!
  16. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Took me long enough...I just got busy. I installed the Adv Tank meant for the F800 on the G650x. It was very easily to install and is solidly mounted. I just had to get an aluminum plate made up to securely mount it. Some of the other tail mounts probably wouldn't need it but my Alu-rack just has too many holes in it to mount it up directly.

As you can tell, my shock is off the bike I'll let you know how it rides next week.

I'll try and do a better write-up on how to do it as well.

-cFogs
    IMG_6655.JPG IMG_6656.JPG IMG_6657.JPG IMG_6658.JPG
    octopusenvy and Traumat1x like this.
  17. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    IMG_6661.JPG
    octopusenvy, Traumat1x and Len like this.
  18. swordmetal

swordmetal n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All,
    New guy here, thanks for the wealth of knowledge and experience!

I've been riding for many years on many different bikes, but I'm currently on a new-to-me '07 G650 xChallenge. When I bought the bike I noticed a slight front brake pulsation, it felt like a warped rotor. I put it on my list of things to do and rode it anyway. After a couple weeks the front brakes started to drag and eventually (almost) seized up. I bled the brakes using a vacuum pump and replaced the pads. After a few weeks of riding without issues, I tried to pull the bike out of the garage this morning and the front brakes were seized again. Didn't have time to mess with it before work so I'll take a look this evening. Any thoughts on what could cause this again after a few weeks of problem free riding? My first thought is to open up the master cylinder and bleed the ABS again. Is it possible that I didn't get all the air out of the system and it took a few weeks for an air bubble to work it's way through?

I appreciate any thoughts and assistance you can offer.

On another note, this bike seems to be very finicky and I'm starting to consider replacing it with something else. I love the bike and don't really want to replace it, just seems that I've spent more time chasing gremlins and sourcing parts than riding it. This is my first BMW so maybe this is the price you pay for riding one? Convince me to keep the bike!
  19. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! And welcome to the club.
    Stromius likes this.
  20. Dutchgit

Oddometer:

Hell no ! Sell it ASAP :lol3

You are new to this bike so get used to it. You have a problem with it so try and sort it out first.

There might be air in it, there might not. Make sure.
    Take out some of the brake fluid from the reservoir and see what happens. People tend to overfill it.

These bikes have dedicated owners as it's not a common bike, it can be hard and/or expensive to get parts for it and it's by no means perfect. Before long you'll want more range, better suspension, luggage capability, and so forth and so on.
    There are over 500 pages on each of the X models with countless links in them and explanations on how to work on them illustrated with pictures etc.
    People who contemplate buying one of these bikes generally read through these pages first before they buy one of these models.
    Do some reading, there's a lot of it.

We mostly love our quirky bikes, I hope you'll get to do the same but if in doubt sell it.

Cheers, Ard :beer
    blaster11 and Len like this.