BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. cgguy09

cgguy09 ScientiƦ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    He's right about that...I got this bike (I got it for a good price at that), but I've quickly turned mine from a X-co to a X-Frankenstein. That being said, I've done it mostly on the cheap. (new suspension, luggage racks, engine protection, now I feel its an off-road warrior, only limited by the crappiness of the rider.
    I'm behind the g650x 100%
    blaster11 and Dutchgit like this.
  2. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    So... did you check to see if it was a warped rotor? Someone posted about bleeding ABS being a little finicky earlier in thread. You can search within a thread so I find that quite helpful.

What other issues have you had? There are a couple really common ones that can be extraordinarily frustrating but otherwise it seems to be a very solid, reliable machine. Off the top of my head the three bad/frustrating ones are 1. clean your idle actuator, 2. bad wiring in the ignition cylinder/kill switch, and 3. the bike is quite finicky about having a good battery.
  3. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if your front master cylinder may need to be rebuilt. I would start by changing the fluid, it could be possible some dirt or crap got caught in it. the piston in the master could possibly be seizing up somehow..
    when the front wheel is seized, what does the front brake lever do?
  4. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 likes this.
  5. Stromius

Stromius Part time danger seeker

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Changed the oil last night. Learned that the reservoir fills quickly :D I pulled the #2 fuse to cycle the engine and move the oil back into the sump.

Next stop tires..I know there are varied opinions but thinking Michelin T63s as I'll be mostly forest service trails and single track here in the Pacific "Northwet" US.

Starting to get familiar with the mechanicals.

Still thinking about Motech crash bars and a rear rack plus TT waterproof bags ($250) as next add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. daze55556

daze55556 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got some advice on switching to a foam air filter? I've read there can be some issues with getting a good fit with the Uni Filter model and the pre filter is required to get it to fit properly?

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.
  7. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Nope, the issues have been resolved and the pre-filter now fits perfectly.
    I have used both the main filter and the pre-filter for a while now. I like them.
    daze55556 likes this.
  8. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I ordered the filter and pre-filter from Darin at http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com.au/ who is, conveniently for you, located on the same continent you are. But he was good and shipping was fast even 'round the world.

My advice would be to spread a little bearing grease around the outside edge of the filter when you're putting it on just to make 100% sure that there are no tiny air leaks (it fits fine normally but why not spend the extra .02 cents and 30 seconds to be absolutely sure).
    daze55556 likes this.
  9. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Swordmetal,

Maybe the brake-pistons are stuck in the bore (because there of sticky old dust and dirt). You can pump them out a little (allways keep an eye on the fluid level) and clean them, until you are able to press them back by hand. If there is too much fluid in the reservoir, there is permanent pressure in the sytems, that makes it brake constantly.

I hope you can solve this,
    Andreas

Hello All,
    New guy here, thanks for the wealth of knowledge and experience!

I've been riding for many years on many different bikes, but I'm currently on a new-to-me '07 G650 xChallenge. When I bought the bike I noticed a slight front brake pulsation, it felt like a warped rotor. I put it on my list of things to do and rode it anyway. After a couple weeks the front brakes started to drag and eventually (almost) seized up. I bled the brakes using a vacuum pump and replaced the pads. After a few weeks of riding without issues, I tried to pull the bike out of the garage this morning and the front brakes were seized again. Didn't have time to mess with it before work so I'll take a look this evening. Any thoughts on what could cause this again after a few weeks of problem free riding? My first thought is to open up the master cylinder and bleed the ABS again. Is it possible that I didn't get all the air out of the system and it took a few weeks for an air bubble to work it's way through?

I appreciate any thoughts and assistance you can offer.

On another note, this bike seems to be very finicky and I'm starting to consider replacing it with something else. I love the bike and don't really want to replace it, just seems that I've spent more time chasing gremlins and sourcing parts than riding it. This is my first BMW so maybe this is the price you pay for riding one? Convince me to keep the bike!
    keepshoveling likes this.
  10. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    I am using the T63 ,very happy with them. Good price from M/C superstore . The front don't have deep knobs, but it works for me in sand, mostly dry dirt and slab.
    Stromius likes this.
  11. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    This is also helpful http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/g650x-tyre-choices.288141/ linking because folks might have missed it because they spelled tyre wrong. :hide
  12. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    BMW = Bring More Wallet.
    If your unwilling to spend some money you've got the wrong bike! Actually, your in the wrong sport.....
    One year BMW makes them finicky and harder to get parts. Can be A GREAT bike though

Bob

"Get on with riding or get on with dieing. It's one or the other..."
    Paul Rodden - Fifty Years Of Kicks
    octopusenvy likes this.
  13. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are doing mostly off road, and not so much pavement, I would highly recommend the Pirelli Scorpion XCMH tires for the XChallenge. Best tires I've run on this bike for the dirt. Came recommended from a fellow inmate, and XChallenge guru, tbarstow.
    Stromius likes this.
  14. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So for those of you that are contemplating the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 setup, I ordered one and it arrived yesterday.

These things are truly bomber and will no doubt provide many years of service. I plan on using it for both of my steeds. Here are some photos of a quick and dirty mount on the XChallenge. I have the Hepco Becker racks mounted, and was originally concerned they wouldn't fit with the racks and I would have to remove it. It seems this is not the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highly recommended!
  15. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    I like the T63 front, plenty, but I tried the rear and hated it!
    I run E09 rear and T63 front, and that seems to work just fine.
  16. The Crow

The Crow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Running T63 front and Mefo Super Explorer rear on my X
  17. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Scorpion Rally Pros front and back for off road. Mitas/Savage MC 23 's for road trips.
    Liked the T63 front too with Pirelli MT 21 Rear Tire.

Bob

"Get on with riding or get on with dieing. It's one or the other..."
    Paul Rodden - Fifty Years Of Kicks
  18. SIF

SIF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings all from the UK. Picked up a 2007 X Challenge which is on MT21s for the British winter and finding it all a bit vibey on the Tarmac, especially through the pegs, bars and seat so it's coming up from the engine. Now I have tried pulling the clutch in at 75-80 mph and all the vibes die away and it coasts smoothly. Any ideas, someone mentioned might be second plug ?
  19. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    ok , whats the trick to remove the clutch cover ? ive removed all the bolts and clutch cable. seems to be stuck on there. ive tried heat and rubber mallet . wont budge.
  20. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    move the actuator lever and it should come loose if i remember correctly.