BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    just tried that again after running bike. no work . ideas ? tried tying rope around actuator shaft and pulling , tried tapping with screw driver, tried prying in different ways... hmm
  2. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    or do you have to remove the actuation arm so the splined shaft can rotate freely? I think that was it. I felt like an idiot when i did it the first time and couldn't get the cover off.
  3. CarstenB

CarstenB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    twist the shaft. You may have to use a vise grip. If that doesn't work, you can wedge a long piece of wood underneath the actuator shaft and use the frame as a lever. I recommend twisting though.
  5. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    marred the shit out of actuator shaft with pliers when turning it(have new one)). used screw driver in cover bolt holes to pry , screw driver was bending . bastard finally flew off of there but my fist smashing into foot peg. have new cover. thanks for the moral support
  6. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used a 2x4 on mine (also had a new shaft so it helped knowing that) after I went through a similar ordeal. Good news is all my bruises have healed and my seething rage has dissipated so you should be fine in 7-10 days (and it should pop right off now with an easy twist).
  7. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good choice, I like the E 09 too, but sometimes hard to get & pricey. I do remember how strong they are, ran it flat for miles once.
  8. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is the 2 dowels that give all the grief. I usually use a very thin screwdriver to pry next to the dowels.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  9. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they are strong. They are also an absolute bitch to get off. Roadside puncture repair becomes an endurance event with much sweat and swearing, and sacrificing of skin on knuckles.
    :becca
    Boarder06 and XallengeXccepted like this.
  10. DESERT SCORPION

DESERT SCORPION SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer:
    You are hopefully using a new cover O-ring gasket. Mine was very dried out, and cracked and ripped trying to remove it from the old cover.
  11. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    So, apparently in a drunken fit of passion, I bought a leo vince exhaust yesterday. Should be here by Thursday. I need to block Revzilla and Twisted-Throttle when I drink...
    octopusenvy, PaulyD, Len and 4 others like this.
  12. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    just finished the clutch cover issue fix. wow what a difference , no walking and I can shift into neutral now.
    I replaced all the parts with BMW parts . shaft, bearings, clip, gasket, seal, cover. the clip went on easily with the new parts .

when the old cover came off there were aluminum shavings where the clutch shaft meets the shift shaft.

I havr photos of everything and part numbers that ill put up later tonight .
    octopusenvy, Len and keepshoveling like this.
  13. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7-10 days!!? Sheesh, hold a grudge much?
    keepshoveling likes this.
  14. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's part of the reason I LOVE the Pirelli Scorpion XCMH. They slip right on and off with minimal fuss.

I swear there was iron rebar in the bead of my Mitas rear tire. There is NO WAY it was ever going to be repaired in the field had I gotten a flat. Never again.
  15. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought mine with 9500 miles and sure the plugs were original. Vibes made me crazy and as a matter of coincidence I asked the dealer to change them while I have the valves checked (just barely out of spec on this the first check ever). First ride after picking the bike up and the difference was dramatic. Love how the motor is now. I never rev it to the moon anyway but it it very smooth and enjoyable with fresh plugs.
    Hope it helps your situation.
    keepshoveling, jonnyc21 and cgguy09 like this.
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    photos from clutch cover, shaft, bearings, gasket fix.

all bmw parts: i think if you zoom in you can get the part numbers off the bags

[​IMG]

aluminum shavings from clutch cover. my bike has 14,000 miles on it. Already it was eating itself.

[​IMG]

inside the hole there is a shiny spot. im pretty sure thats where the shavings came from

[​IMG]

the new cover with gasket, bearings , clip , seal and shaft installed . no need to grind anything. the new cover has a slot which the o-ring gasket fits inside. i put the bearings in the freezer for about two hours then used an 8mm attached to an extender and a hammer to tap in the small bearing and a 12mm to tap in the larger one.

[​IMG]

i torqued the cover bolts to 10NM , not sure if thats correct but it felt ok.

one thing that i noticed: i ordered two sets of bearings, one set from bmw and the other set from the part numbers that were given for the amazon.com bearings. the small bearing from amazon is just a little fatter than the bmw one. probably doesnt matter but its worth noting.

the hardest part was removing that bastard cover. i definitely suggest purchasing a new actuator shaft before doing this just in case you need to grab the old one with pliers and twist the hell out of it. also, you wont have to grind anything. i know this has been covered a hundred times .. here's 101.
    rockydog, Dutchgit, Len and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    You could have put your shifter on the shaft to help get the cover off, it has the same dimension and teeth.
  18. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Swamp, what was the total cost? Just an estimate will work..thanks, Stephen
  19. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the rear E09, along with MT21 front. I`m on my 3rd set now and like this combo a lot for my mix of tarmac and dirt which is about 50/50. They last me about 5 to 6000 km depending on temperatures
    My first E09 was stock size 140/80 18. But for the next ones I went with size 130/80 because it´s much easier to put on and off and a bit cheaper too. I didn´t notice any difference in how the bike handles.
    keepshoveling and Boarder06 like this.
  20. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very clever
    Dutchgit likes this.