1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Ya Dutchy, I read about the "put the shifter on the shaft " technique on the f650 link that carstonB threw out here earlier but I had a new shaft so the old one was disposable.

Rockydog - the cost was around $300 for everything. I went to the local BMW dealer here, stood with the parts manager and ordered everything while looking at the parts schematic.
  2. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Swamp.
    As a side note..back in Ireland after going to the English HUBB, checked out the CCM. 3 times as expensive as my X but felt really comfortable, super light and fun to ride, but prefer my X.
    octopusenvy, DGR and seasider like this.
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    New fronts for our bikes (smug smiley) :-)

[​IMG]
  4. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Been watching the Reckless 80 thread closely and am about to pull the trigger. Please post more pics when you get them. Especially the fitment of where the side holsters meet the main tail bag. I'm concerned about how stiff the R80's mating plate on each side is and how well it will "bend" across the tail rack on the bike as the angles surely won't match. If you know what I mean. For my XCo I'm planning on using my small BMW tail rack, adding an XTank and then just making a simple single tube on each side to keep the bags off the exhaust and XTank, not a complete pannier rack. I might add a aluminum plate onto the tail rack that is the correct shape and angled edges to meet up with the bags "mating plate".

So post up a few when you can, thanks!
    mbogage likes this.
  5. SIF

SIF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for taking time to reply, I will give it a go and let you know the result. Thanks again.
  6. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Use Iridium plugs. They're better than normal ones in my opinion.
    jonnyc21, SIF, cgguy09 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pulstar he2rt8 work very well. There is a noticeable increase in low end pull due to the better ignition energy.
  8. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the 101, glad it worked out good for you. Mine is on the list, and for the cost of a new shaft I'll make it easier on myself when it's time.
  9. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    I assume you mean the tiny ball and spring in the cover? Seems to be under a plastic insert. Is the plastic just a push fit?

The larger plastic float and big spring , needs to remain? yes?
    I haven't had any problems with my remote tank yet, but trying to be premptive here.
  10. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Yes to both.
    The little ball and spring can come out. Look carefully and you can take it apart without breaking anything. If it breaks no harm is done really as you won't need to put it back in anyway.
    keepshoveling and octopusenvy like this.
  11. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to put a cold shower on this Reckles set-up (and I love the company and their story by the way), but in my opinion there are waaaaay to many straps and adjustments. Some may love it, but others will go mad. A buddy got it for his 690 for last weekend's trip and it was infuriating seeing him fiddle with all the straps, stuff coming lose and falling out of the top over-carrier. Also, in heavy off-road riding they really seem to need set of side racks to connect to, otherwise they flap around like mad.

In my opinion, it's really hard to beat the simplicity of Giant Loop. it would be nice to have some MOLE attachment options on the Loop though :)
    BMacW650 and swamp like this.
  12. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    What's the reason for removing the ball and spring? I read something about "better flow", but I just completed a 700km weekend with my Xtank without any issues?
    I just plumbed it in, no other modifications. Might this go wrong eventually?

It really is a great feeling btw, being able to ride almost twice the distance with the Xtank :ricky
  13. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The spring and plastic valve are a restriction in the flow between the aux tank and the main tank. If you have a great deal on the stock gas cap you may be fine. But a less than perfect seal may allow air into the stock tank and break the siphon. BWOE, on my bike the aux tank siphoned fine while on my wife's bike the aux tank would not empty on occasion. Since removing the plastic valve and large spring there has been no issues with either bike.

BTW, I don't think it is necessary to remove the small check ball if you pull the large spring and plastic valve.
    Dutchgit and mbogage like this.
  14. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    Made up a tiny hooked piece of wire. Pulled the plastic plug out after multiple pulls. Thanks for your reply.

But now a bit confused by MJS as he left the small ball and spring I just removed and took out the big valve and spring. So which is the right one?

My auxiliary tank cap is breathable (not a one way valve) so without that big valve in, could all the gas drain out of both tanks if bike was tipped over on the right side in an accident? (Worse case scenario, I know)
  15. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Have to admit that I am torn. I have an older Giant Loop Great Basin that doesn't hold all of my gear. I've been interested in the flexibility of the Reckless system every since Snooker first mentioned it. I currently have an Venture Out N Back on the X that I need to move to the KTM and a buddy has a Venture Nomad Rider that he is pretty happy with. The Nomad Rider is not as durable as the Giant Loop but fixes most of the problems like tie downs and convenient outside pockets. The X is about to become my long trip bike, since the smaller KTM will be seeing most of the single track duty.

I'll probably end up with the Reckless. To make the Giant Loop work for a week trip I end up with fiddly crap tied all over the back of the bike anyway. The Nomad would just be another of the same thing, if only a little improved. Whatever I get will be hooked to a set of DirtBagz stand-offs. I think I just sold myself.

m
  16. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I initially had a Wolfman X-bag duffel on my bike. Supposedly designed specifically with the X-Ch in mind. I had to mess with so many straps just to get into the bag, I ended up selling it about a year later. I'm a huge fan of roll top bags - a couple buckles and you're in very quickly. My Ortleibs stay on the bike all the time and I am constantly in and out of them. I also have a Firstgear roll top duffel that fits well on the back if I need more storage.

I was really impressed with how Mosko took lots of rider input into designing their bags. But I would probably be more inclined to go with the Scout or Backcountry pannier if I ever need to replace my Ortleibs. The caveat being all those need a rack.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  17. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Do the dirtbagz stand offs fit the xchall?

Edit: looks like they do
    http://dbzproducts.com/fs/order.htm
  18. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Yes they do. Somebody with a little talent in tubing fabrication could make a set pretty easy.
  19. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tr650 clutch covers works well to fix the cover issue correct?
    octopusenvy likes this.
  20. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Didn't the person who did it say you needed to replace a few other parts with husky parts too?