BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I would remove Booster plug.
    After that, if you've over filled your oil you may have oil in your airbox from the crank case vent. Split the air box and take a look.

Bob
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Yes it does ! It keeps my radiator clean and seeing it has a tight radius (comes from a KTM 85cc MX bike) it doesn't let the tyre throw out much crap in front of the bike so I stay cleaner too.

[​IMG]

They come in various colours too.
    Len, keepshoveling and Meriden like this.
  3. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my goal!

Good, not that orange is bad. I just prefer it on a KTM.

m
    Dutchgit likes this.
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Acerbis makes them in white for the Yamahas.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  5. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know what bike it comes off exactly? Or a part number?
  6. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
  7. tester1

tester1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone rode double on xchallenge or xcountry for any distance? Was it a positive experience or a pain in the ass?
  8. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I have had a bout a 2 hour ride with my daughter (5' 6" 120 lbs) on the back of my X Challenge with a custom seat from Renazco setup for it and so it wasn't to bad even with the custom seat I would add a gel pad for anything longer.
  9. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    I have the X-Co seat. I did 2-up for a day trip (300 miles or so) we were both uncomfortable. I'd less a problem with the seat cushion as it is with the space. Around town, it's fine, but I wouldn't do a multi-day trip on her.
  10. tester1

tester1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your input, sounds like day trip ridding double may be the limit for this bike.
  11. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I got it from my local MX shop. They often have old plastic ready to throw away. It's from a 2011 or such KTM 85 cc MX bike.

There was a guy who did South America on his XCo. Together with his girlfriend and luggage. He only had to have the (standard) shock repaired a few times and then replaced.
    They have a RR on here too.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...e-and-sam-a-south-american-adventure.1096776/
  12. tester1

tester1 n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks1
  13. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Wasn't going to mention it, but one of our guys in the Houston BMW club rode South America on his XCo. Oddly, his name is Sam, but he didn't take his girlfriend on that trip.

He does ride all over Texas with her as pillion on his XCo today.
    tester1 and Dutchgit like this.
  14. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Oh my, look what the guy in the brown truck just dropped off...

[​IMG]

I'll put it on the X this weekend and post up some more photos. So far I'm impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship. At first glance it has all of the features my Giant Loop was missing: set-up flexibility, outside pockets, it's not school bus yellow. Makes me want to take a month off and go to Canada.
  15. tester1

tester1 n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the information on doubling up. sounds like I can make some short trips with a little preplanning.
  16. Solace

Solace I'm back, baby!

Oddometer:
    I've done 1,000 mile weekends on the X Challenge and the seat is "firm" but the ride was tolerable. Great bike on the backroads.

Later,
    M
  17. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hint Bob - Yesterday I've tried to disconnect the booster plug but the problem is still present. Airbox is OK, no oil in there.

In the meantime I've bought another complete fuel pump from ebay:

[​IMG]

Problem not solved :( low power and "sputtering" is still there. Next thing will be a new injector, maybe a slightly bigger one as I have the unifilter and leovice slip on.
    I'm spending a small fortune on this bike, but I really want it to go like is supposed to, or even better ;)

As always, I have some questions and I would be really glad if someone could share some knoweledge:

Question 1) How do you test the lamba sensor (on the exhaust)?
    Question 2) How do you test the Oxygen Sensor (the one in the airbox)?

ps: I realized that, and months of asking/posting, I never showed my X so... here it is!

[​IMG]
  18. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Just bringing the symptoms current. Until someone more knowledgeable comes along, here's all I've got:
    -Any chance you can get your hands on a GS911? Might answer the questions about sensors more quickly and also potentially spot other issues.
    -maybe I missed it, but did you already clean the idle actuator valve?
    -is the venting working correctly from the xTank?
    -have you already done the throttle position sensor reset?

Most of these don't seem like the low rpm symptoms I would expect, but worth checking anyway.

Sorry if you already answered these, but;
    -did the problem appear instantly or gradually?
    Any changes happen around the same time
    ?

Good luck, keep us posted.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  19. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have cleaned the actuator, I suspect the hose between the tanks, if it has a kink, it will sputter.
    Yukon Ho! and keepshoveling like this.
  20. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    Just looking at your picture you have posted, if it is very current of the bike and you have the X tank on there have you checked the venting in the fuel cap on the xtank.
    My understanding is that you draw fuel form the xtank through the vent line into the main tank. Any issues with the line between the two tanks will starve it of fuel (as a previous post has mentioned) as it has a fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system so it will suck the fuel through from the main tank and the xtank.
    So the only vent to let air into the tanks is through the X tank fuel cap. If the vent is not working then this will starve if of fuel.
    BMW also sell a fuel system cleaning product, may be also get some of that and run it through the system.
    Is the Xtank new. If not have you checked to see if it has anything contaminating the fuel and blocking the pick up out of the xtank.
    Can you post a picture of the fuel lines under the seat and from the xtank as the lay out of these can also be affecting the flow of fuel and air into the tanks.