BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Grunt

Grunt I Am Carl Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I've already seen those websites. The parts are all different. The springs are straight in the kit, but they are conical in my master cylinder. The piston is a different shape and the seals are all different. That's the problem I have been running into consistently.

Grunt
  2. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    That's BMW for you, ladies and gentleman.
    Not even kidding, the BMW 650 single cylinders from 2000 onwards have a master cylinder,
    that I have yet to find one any other bike. Spare parts? Through BMW only.
    And no, they don't even carry all spare parts. And if you want a new reservoir seal, guess what, you have to buy the reservoir cap, too.

In other words, once that thing craps out, do yourself a favor and invest in a standard Brembo PS13 (e.g. used on the Carb'd F650, 1990s Ducati Monster 600, amongst others)
    or any other master cylinder of your liking, since it is getting hard to get short levers for the standard PS13, and enjoy being able to order (all) parts from wherever you want.
  3. Grunt

Grunt I Am Carl Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rebuild parts that BMW does carry are as follows:

Rear caliper: Yes - pressure seal and dust seal.
    Rear master cylinder: No
    Front caliper: No, but I was able to find the seals on the internet from another source. The seals are Brembo 30mm and 32mm (the pistons are different sizes).
    Front master cylinder: No, they don't even stock this assembly in the US. They have to order it from Germany.

You can buy the entire assemblies for all of the parts listed above from BMW, but they charge BMW prices and it might take a while to get to you.

The rear master cylinder is still working and I really don't want to mess with it unless I have to. If the time comes I am hoping I can find parts for it on the internet.

Grunt
  4. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    Full front and rear caliper rebuild kits can be sourced from KTM, for part numbers, check here:
    http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/Repairs/Brakes/BrakeParts.pdf

While the site mainly deals with the F650GS range of models, many parts including the brake calipers are interchangeable or even the same,
    with minor differences here and there (e.g. colour of the brake calipers).

Huh...interesting that BMW opted for a different rear master on the G650X models?
    Anyways, just get one from the F650GS (single cyl.) or G650GS, that's a standard 11mm Brembo, direct replacement.
    Same mounting hole pattern, same everything and readily available for cheap.
    A rebuild kit for the aforementioned rear master is available from Brembo (110.4362.41).

And for the front, I'd recommend ditching the stock unit once it's due for a rebuild and get a good condition, used standard master cyl of your choice.
    I cannot think of any rational reason they chose to have a "special" unit there, when perfectly fine off-the-shelf solutions are available,
    other than cost and having a monopoly on spare parts?
    So fuck that.
    waylongway and Len like this.
  5. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    I havent had mine quite a year yet but as an all around dual sport compared to my old wellset up Xr650r and a wr250r (which I love for goofing off) the xchallenge is very well rounded and far superior when road is part of the day. Sort of out dated with regard to aftermarket but damm good bike for the money when you spend the time to go through it for your own base line forward.
    Toyed with selling mine for a short spell but really not much else that comes close for the dollar/smile once set up.
    PaulyD likes this.
  6. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    Fasco likes this.
  7. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    There are at least three bikes for sale in the Houston area now on TWT. See if ZigZag ever managed to sell his.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108979

m
  8. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a Hyperpro from EPM and Klaus has them on sale for $500 for the standard +200 for remote adjuster.
    rockydog likes this.
  9. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put 14/49 gearing on my X over the weekend and wow. I love it so much better now.

The bike no longer feels like you have to slip the clutch for 15 seconds to take off from a stop, and 5th gear is now so much nicer at highway speeds. The top gear always felt a little high at around 65 MPH, and now it feels great in the 55 to 80 range.

I really feel as though it should have come this way from the factory. Highly recommended! :jkam
    Proud Highway likes this.
  10. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    I ordered a 14t front, I was going to try it out before ordering a rear. I do love how the bike cruises but off road I felt like i was clutching a lot. If I can't get gearing i like I'll invest in a Rekluse, but sprockets are cheaper.
  11. wolfie10110

wolfie10110 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ouch!

Did your temp light come on? What were the symptoms prior to toasting??
  12. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oooh, maybe it is time I spring for one for my TDM . . .
  13. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey team, I just sniped a CanBus output helper (Essentially a fuse box so my battery doesn't look like a bowl of spaghetti). On the box, there is a yellow wire serves as a connection to the on/off on the bike (So your stuff doesn't keep charging when the bike is off). The directions noted that it should be attached to the yellow wire on a BMW's harness.

Is anyone familiar what the yellow wire does? or where an easy access point to it would be (so I don't have to cut through all the tape/nonsense). Also, I'm assuming its a hot wire? I kept having issues pulling up a good wiring diagram for our bike.
  14. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes, the temp light came on. The riders behind me could see lots of white smoke, then it barfed oil all over me. Took about 10 highway miles in Panamint Valley to fry it.
  15. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Light came on and then you drove it ten miles? Did it boil first?

Do you have a radiator for sale? just curious, still need to re do coolant procedure. Also wondering what I should do after this if it still boils over.
  16. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Over the course of 10 miles the light came on, went off, came back on, then it blew.

Nope, no more XChallenge parts, the last bits went to the recycler last week.
  17. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    So I finally got my forks back with stiffer springs and it performs much better, but apparently the springs could not be as stiff as recommended due to a limitation with the fork. The first time I got the forks back they were leaking oil and now after a ride, they're leaking again so it needs to come back apart. I also need to install the ohlins but it's tall already and it's a handful on uneven terrain so I hate to raise it but the air shock is pretty bad. Lastly, I had to go 30 miles out of the way today to get fuel since I haven't mounted the rotopax. I sat on a friend's 701 the other day and I gotta say, it's a very tempting option. It just seems like anytime there's an issue with this bike, it's difficult to solve because there's so few of them. :devildog

Anyways, got up Twin Cone today, first time above treeline this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I like your solution to the height issue.
    cgguy09, Len, jonnyc21 and 1 other person like this.
  19. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    What model number? Do you have a link to the specs page for the Hyperpro you are getting? Is it emulsion or remote or piggyback or ?
  20. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    my XChallenge - a lot of off road miles, rocks dirt and sand! I really love this bike -

pic is from a ride in the Pine Barrens exploring the cranberry bogs - a lot of sand and interlocking trails
    IMG_2459-X2.jpg

pic is from the Michaux Off-Road Rallye in central Pennsylvania
    I bent the bars pretty good in a rocky section when I went over the bars and the bike followed me down through some rocks - both me and the bike were upside down - ouch
    IMG_0756-X2.jpg