BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I think this might be the perfect pine barrens bike. :beer
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  2. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which windscreen is that? Looks like the parabrisas?
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  3. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    I'm getting the regular emulsion shock (I'm a cheapskate)
    Not sure of part # etc. Klaus said he'd send me an email when it was ordered so maybe it'll have specs in there. He asked me what I wanted as far as lowering and weight. I considered ordering progressive springs at the same time but I think i'd rather save the money for some shivers.
  4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the basic emulsion shock is the 460. I sent Klaus an e-mail about my TDM but haven't heard back yet. I noticed in going through my old e-mails to him that mine is actually lowered 1", not .5" (and it is a basic emulsion/460). At the time he told me you can always upgrade the basic shock to the higher end versions. Of course, it is cheaper to do it from the beginning. I don't have any complaints about the basic shock and I haven't bottomed it out yet. The vast majority of my miles are on the street, but it has seen some fairly rough trails (like the last few rocky photos in Big Sur's post).
  5. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    spec
    Motorbike : BMW G 650 X Challenge '07

Rider Weight: 195 lbs

Passenger Weight: ~

Luggage Weight: 40 lbs

Riding Height: -1 1/2"

Spring Color: Purple

Mileage- 26,000

1 460 Hyperpro 460 Emulsion Rear Shock 499.00 499.00T

1 Shipping & Handling Domestic 30.00 30.00T
    keepshoveling likes this.
  6. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Nevermind, I repaired mine with a piece of flexible poly tubing. It is now screwed, glued and tattooed.
    [​IMG]
    keepshoveling and cgguy09 like this.
  7. snooker

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: LV does in fact sell replacement spark arrestor screens in the US as part of a bigger kit. See my post 10906.

Hi all. I'm in need of a replacement spark arrestor screen for my Leo Vince X3 pipe. I can't get one from Leo Vince so not sure what I'm gonna do. Perhaps there are some of you "urban" riders out there that don't need yours? But I don't want to burn down my forest so it's not an option. If anybody wants to sell their's I would be grateful. I'm not sure they shipped to the non-US market or not.

[​IMG]

Or is there another solution? Adapting one or making one perhaps?
  8. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep me in mind next trip there. Havent ridden with you yet and id love to exercise the x there!
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  9. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 likes this.
  10. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
  11. daze55556

daze55556 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So this seems to happen every time I ride now. Bike starts fine drops back to normal idle speed after 30 seconds to a minute, within a few minutes of riding the idle speed goes up and remains constant, like the choke is on (I know it doesn't actually have a choke), then I turn it off and start it up again and the idle returns to normal and stays there. (I've only done 30 minute rides to work so it remains at normal idle that long at least)

Any suggestions?
  12. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Got to the hardware store. Get three 5x5 inch squares of steel screen. Rotate them in a fashion that makes the holes smaller. I.E. Verticle, Horizontal, Diagonal. Mount to existing three hole carrier. Trim. Ride. Ride.Ride.
  13. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    I've used these before with some success. Make sure you get stainless screen.
  14. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    Anybody in here want this?
    I'd sell it to someone here for $400 if they'll trade me their side plastics.
    Or does anyone have a set of plastics they'd sell me? My bike looks naked :shog

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]
    Lzlusy, PaulyD and cgguy09 like this.
  15. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Clean the idle actuator and the throttle body if you haven't done that already. Spray the plunger with some PTFE lubricant.
    jonnyc21 and keepshoveling like this.
  16. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Just so I'm following, you think the issue is probably 1. idle actuator has it's standard ethanol gunk issue, combined with 2. if you clean it then it might get stuck because it's not properly lubricated so even if it has the clearance it won't properly open/close because it's too clean and unlubricated?
  17. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree totally!! I have done the PB300/500 on 3 or 4 different bikes for the past 8 or 9 years and have had the most fun on my XChallenge. I have also done the Meteor Enduro on it, Scrub Pine Enduro and the Hammer Run several times. About 4 years ago I took it out west for a month of off-roading in Colorado and a month in the southern California deserts. It truly excelled at everything except for baby-head rocks - which I think is my riding style more that the bike.

I picked up this XChallenge in 2009 for $5000 from the third owner and it had 92 miles on it and I have tried everything on it.

I tried a 450 and after two rallies on it, I knew that I would really hurt myself on it. It topped out whoops, eat up single track and was just plain - hold on - FAST!
    I really don't miss it.

Hammer Run 2011
    Hammer Run 2011-S.jpg

I also got a killer deal on an HP2 which is a blast in the woods, but I got tired of picking it up in deep sand.
    It still puts a huge smile on my face when I ride it off road, but I stopped doing tighter woods on it a few years ago.
    IMG_4995-S.jpg

The XChallenge does everything now!
    IMG_3078-S.jpg
  18. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - it is an early version of the parabrisas windscreen and I cut the bottom edges off with a coping saw because I think they looked goofy. It does a great job protecting my GPS, my phone and my roll chart.

I also like the fact that I can remove it in about 3 minutes when I do really tight woods.

Sno Dawg
    jonnyc21 and PaulyD like this.
  19. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ sending you a PM with my contact info - Are you signed up for the Touratech East Rally?
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ly-east-huntingdon-pa-aug-18-21-2016.1132963/

The rallye is just a bit north of Michaux and there is some amazing riding in that area. I am doing some sweep riding on both days and hope to do some other exploring. My hard off road riding has been cut back because I tore something in my shoulder snowboarding this winter - and I am getting old - ha ha.

I am taking a year off from Michaux - it is in my opinion the best one day rallye in the area with some very challenging options and it is put on by a great club - M.O.R.E.

Sno Dawg
  20. snooker

Oddometer:
    JJ's idea and the classic tea strainer are good ideas. However I'm sensitive to the US Forest Service requirements of < 0.023" openings in the screen, plus if done incorrectly it could really screw with performance if the flow gets reduced. So I am trying to do it right. In addition I do an AMA sponsored rally where they may have Rangers actually inspect the screen and I'd hate to get turned down.

My current idea is to buy a screen from another brand like HMF, FMF, Big Gun and cut it up and adapt it. But they appear to be a lot smaller than the Leo Vince and I don't really want to reduce the size of the total exhaust flow opening space.

I was hoping one of you geniuses has already figured out an "engineered" solution... :)

Did you guys outside the US receive a spark arrestor with your Leo Vince X3 that you will never use? PM me please.