BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mbogage

mbogage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the ukgs website someone was selling a pace radiator fir the X. If you google pace radiators there website comes up. You could shoot them a email.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    SKF or similar. Any known brand will do.
  3. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right on! Thank you.
  4. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    I knew the air thing was bad but I didn't realize how bad until today. I got the Ohlins on and it's A LOT better off-road, although the reservoir placement seems exposed. The downside is it kind of exposes the front end for what it is, or maybe the heavy engine. The 701 seems like it has a much lighter front end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry in advance if this ranks as the dumb question of the week...
    Does semi synthetic oil affect the running temp of the engine. I recently changed from reg 10w40 to semi synthetic 15w50. I can suddenly notice how hot the oil res. feels beside my leg.
    Is it the oil or should I be looking for something else causing the higher oil temp?
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think the oil would make much of a difference. I know the heat you are talking about, however. I always assumed it was more off the exhaust than the oil reservoir (although it does feel like it is from that area). It may also have to do with the fan kicking on, especially at low speeds, and sending more heat that direction.
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    It's mainly the exhaust that gives off the heat. The oil reservoir being just above it doesn't help much I suppose. The fan sits on the RH side of the bike so that has got little to do with it.
    keepshoveling and cgguy09 like this.
  8. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Odd that I noticed it after changing to semi synthetic. I've never noticed the heat to the extent I have the last few rides.
    Thanks
  9. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is the middle of summer, there is that to consider...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Dutchgit likes this.
  10. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the stock exhaust? The catalytic converter gets really hot and is a major heatsource on these bikes.
    I can't imagine the oil making such a difference to be honest.
    Dutchgit and cgguy09 like this.
  11. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really wish there was a quiet, smaller, lighter, cooler exhaust for these things, tempted to cut mine all apart..
    seasider likes this.
  12. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!
    I hear you on the ohlins, I moved mine to the right side behind my luggage racks. I also modified my subframe to do it.
    But, I'm pretty sure you could easily make up a protection plate, and mount it between the Ohlins mount and the subframe. A metal shop would do that for really cheap.

As far as the front end goes, are you still rocking the stock springs? The aftermarket springs make a big difference. Although, to get to perfect you'll need to re-do the valving. #WhyCantBMWFigureOutSuspension
    Len likes this.
  13. inti

inti One more day everywhere

Oddometer:
    Fr

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk
  14. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to ask.......whats your opinion of the xc compared to the new Husky v you are riding with? Are we far behind the new bike curve? Im guessing not so much but ignorance is bliss :D
    cgguy09, jessehere and DGR like this.
  15. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    So on a short ride round town town I was surprised by a truck over the line on a blind curve....to the point I went wide and steered towards a lush lawn and thought no problem but damm if there wasnt a lump of concrete in the one spot of longer grass and over the bars I went.
    Any of you guys have a stock rim in great shape I can buy to replace mine?
    I would go Woodys but still want a stock as his insurance will cover it.
    Thanks
  16. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    It's not as far behind as you'd think it should be, based on the xc being almost 10 years old, but the husky is definitely a step up in terms of performance. First, the forks on the husky are a lot nicer. I have racetech springs and the forks on the husky are much more plush and capable. Second, the engine is just a lot better all around. It makes a lot more power, it makes more torque, it seems to be lighter, and it revs quicker. Combine that with the decreased weight of the bike and it's noticeable. We're generally riding between 9-14k feet elevation and the xc struggles compared to the husky. The husky also feels less front heavy or more balanced than the xc. If I were at sea level and traversed more developed terrain, I probably wouldn't switch, but I think I'll pick one up this winter for the power and fuel range. If I were riding around the world or something and reliability and simplicity came into the picture, the xc would still be a better choice, but for what I do, I just want the performance and the 701 is definitely a step up in that department.
    seasider, Dutchgit, DGR and 2 others like this.
  17. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Not in my experience.
    I cut out the Cat and it did not change the temperature.
    Also loss in top speed, not worth of a mod in my opinion.

M
  18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Sure the exhaust is not partly blocked ?
  19. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a LV exhaust. Yeah I know it's summer. And hot! But I've never experienced the heat coming from...the pipe?...before. At least not to this extent. The reason I thought it was the oil res was because I was trying to find where the heat was coming from. It was damn hot. I felt the oil res. and it was really hot. I've never really had the need to feel the res. before now because even on the hottest of riding days I've never felt the heat I am now. So...I thought maybe the change in oil.
  20. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I've heard good things about Myler's in West Jordan, Utah. I have a radiator that was bent when I hit a tree and have been thinking of sending it to them for repair. Of course I'll wait until I hit another tree to spend the money.