BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    alright guys, the time is coming, I am going to be building some custom side racks for my xch, I originally was going to use 3/4" tubing, but the guy who will be bending up the tubing for me only has 1" dies, now, I'm sure that I could get him to buy some 3/4" dies, but at a cost. what is everyones thoughts on using 1" tubing instead? racks will most likely look something like these: so that I can mount rolie style bags, to keep everything small, tight to the bike, and be able to run naked racks without looking stupid.

Attached Files:

2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

1" tubing is overkill and will weigh significantly more than 3/4". If you are just going to do a rollie bag, get a piece of 3/16" 5052 aluminum bent to be a top rack with side panels.
  3. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I should have been more specific.. I have a MM backcountry 40 duffle to go on top, and *plan* to run rolie style bags on the sides (or just some tough dry bags), but it would simple to add mounts for any style saddlebag should I want to, MM or wolfman, etc.
  4. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Those look like the same photos I posted a few weeks ago about the racks I want to make for my MosksoMoto Reckless 80 bags. The R80 will have most of its weight on the rear pillion seat so the side racks only have to really keep the bags off of the bike. If your design has to support all of the weight then you may need some stronger design. But still a 1" tube diameter is overkill and will look ridiculous IMHO. I'm looking at 5/8" most likely and possibly even 1/2" depending.
  5. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with the others about the 1" tubing. Also, if you ever decide to go with some of the standard mounting bags (as opposed to just standoffs), I can't imagine they will fit without modification. Can he just bend the 3/4" tubing with the 1" dies? Although even 3/4" seems a bit much.
  6. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest 16 mm or maybe 18 mm. Can't figure out that inch stuff from here :scratch
  7. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    5/8" roughly translates to 16mm
    3/4" is 19mm.

I agree with Dutchgit, those sizes are sturdy enough for luggage.
    The diameter of the tube won't be the problem, the key is a good design that spreads the load and doesn't break on the point where it attaches.
    I've heard flattening the end of a tube makes for a weak construction, so try to attach everything with a "fishmouth" (There's probably a better/correct word for that but you know what I mean)
    Dutchgit and Len like this.
  8. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll see if I can convince him to get smaller dies, appreciate the thoughts!
    Who knows, by the time we start bending I might just decide to make racks like the hepco or something..
  9. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a lead on where to get a new Cush hub damper (rubber)? It appears BMW isn't making them anymore.
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    You don't need a new one. Just cut up some tube and use that as shims.
    DGR and Dutchgit like this.
  11. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I don't but I just checked with my parts guy and he said there are a bunch on backorder and his system says BMW will be making more but it could be 6 months before they are available.
    Len likes this.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I think BMW isn't really interested in making new ones. I use an old inner tube to cut strips of rubber from and use those to fill up the space so the drive side fits snug in the hub.

[​IMG]

Place them on the pressure side between the thin and thick end of the cush rubber.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile: I've fitted a rack to the wifey's bike as well. (Hotrod Welding)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just have to educate her about the concept of "only what you really need" .... :fpalm

[​IMG]

She's worth it though :raabia

[​IMG]
    Fasco, rockydog, coldcatz and 5 others like this.
  13. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Great pics Ard!
    Can't wait to see your ride report of the big trip:clap
    keepshoveling and Dutchgit like this.
  14. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Don't get all exited yet ! It'll be another year and half at least !
    There might be two short trips in the next month or two thogh.
    TobyG and Len like this.
  15. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's funny! Let us know how that works out for you, I'm sure it makes a big difference to have the same bike to cut down on spares and tools.
    Very true, just think, she could want you to go shopping with her instead of working on her bike. She is a keeper.
  16. JollyThumper

JollyThumper n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I'm new here, kinda, been lurking for some time.
    Recently ordered some oem parts.(online-teile.com) They arrived on Monday and one thing was missing. Thats right, no rubber damper.
    However, the invoice said: "Teilenummer 27717696646 wird nachgeliefert lieferbar ab 25.07.16"
    Meaning that it will be delivered subsequently and is available from 25th of august.
    So i'm waiting for any news, nothing just yet, will keep you updated.
  17. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    An update on the Mosko/ DirtBagz setup. After setting the Reckless 80 up on the X, I loaded it with junk and took it around the neighborhood - mostly gravel and sandy roads with a couple of water crossings. Nothing special or technical About an hour into the ride I remembered that I had forgotten to install the Mosko heat shield. Fortunately, between the Dirtbagz racks and Leo Vince heat shield the Reckless system showed no sign of being heat damaged.

If I were making standoffs to keep the bags off of the sides of he bikes, as opposed to a rack to support the bag's weight. I'd go with no bigger than 5/8 and select a tubing that was moderately soft steel. After experiencing a few crashes with the Giant Loop/Dirtbagz setup, I want something that will not transmit too much energy to the sub frame in a fall, is easy to pull back into shape on the trail and can be brazed or welded by any muffler shop hack in BFE. I don't know enough about steel grades to say what that is, but the Dirtbagz are the right material, if not the perfect shape.

m
    Dutchgit and Len like this.
  18. coldcatz

coldcatz n00b

Oddometer:
    Ciao everybody
    I'm new in here and because of this forum I recently purchased an xc 2007
    44k in "decent"condition
    Decent means I'm figuring out the last owner was a butcher.

Anyways I went to LA from SF to get it.
    Then, drove back 518 miles in 14 hours
    Bike doesn't ride well it chokes on full throttle,
    Also the rear break doesn't work properly if you hold it down wile braking, it loose grip.
    The clutch is slightly leaking from the case hole where the lever pull is.
    No matter what,
    We made it back, we bond.
    I took me 8 stops for gas :)
    Pain in the ass, but fun at least I gave the engine a break.

I'm new to this bike but I really like it and it suit me right, I know how to work on bikes and been riding for 30 years more or less
    I enjoy riding it's a release.

I'd like to work on it my self.
    If I can please get/gather any help and maybe parts will be useful to my project.
    I have plenty of pictures then I will upload soon I just like to know where I put my hands.

Hoping there is still people loving the xc and then might have some time to help me, figure those things out.

Thanks everyone

Attached Files:

19. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't notice any change in power, but the whole reason I switched to the LV exhaust was to get rid of the heat generated from the Catalytic Converter. I can't say I notice much/any difference in that regard. At least I saved a few pounds, so it has that going for it.
  20. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    We get along very well together ! She knows she can't bring a lot of stuff and she's good with that too. She more or less hates shopping and loves biking.
    She doesn't work on the bikes but then again, I don't do most of the housework :-)