BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hot rod welding, hepco Becker, and dirt bagz make standoffs. Congrats on the purchase!
    hansi likes this.
  2. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Mosko Moto Scout or Backcountry PANNIERS require racks that support ALL the weight of each pannier on each side, this is a lot more of a requirement than their Reckless 80 bag that is slung over the seat/top rack which takes most of the weight. Plus there are clearance concerns for sliding the MM Scout up. The HotRod was not intended for pannier weight, nor the DirtBagz. Investigate thoroughly, just saying it's not obvious.
    hansi and keepshoveling like this.
  3. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    IT worked out well for one year. Then it failed. Mounted up pretty easily, not an exact fitment but so close. The bag pre fuel filter does not fit so well. Nothing that would cause me to want to spend BMW money on it. Plus that warranty was exceptional, and the customer service. The fuel filter itself is found cheaply enough, but only from europe. Found a company who will ship it and take care of customs for you, for near $60 total.
    crash a-ron likes this.
  4. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you explain how the hotrod welding xrack isn't designed for panniers? It says right on the website that it was designed around the macadam panniers, but suited for all kinds of soft luggage. It also connects to the front part of the subframe, as well as the rear, certainly looks plenty stout to support the Mosko panniers.
    http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/product.php?id=8
    Obviously the dirt bagz are just standoffs. Not trying to start a pissing contest, just curious why you say they aren't built to support panniers?
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  5. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    With the Magadan, like the Dirtbagz, the weight rests on the seat via a harness between the two bags. The bag is attached to the rack only to hold it in place. Personally, I started with the Dirtbagz and didn't find them satisfactory. Since then I've used a Great Basin and now a Reckless 80 which looks to be the more practical adventure touring setup.
    Reg York likes this.
  6. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The Hotrod rack was indeed designed for the Magadan bags. The weight is spread over the whole rear of the bike. The rack might not be suited for the Mosko's.
    I have the rack and the Magadans.
    Reg York likes this.
  7. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used a fender bag on their x? I'm thinking about trying one out but it looks like it would probably block the headlight pretty bad. Anyone have any experience?
  8. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm just curious as to why they wouldn't work with a set of panniers that don't have the straps to go across the top of the bike. They look very stout, and built in a way to spread the load. I could be very wrong, I just wonder why they wouldn't work?
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

With the OEM fender, a fender bad is worthless, as it blocks the headlight and makes the floppy fender flop worse.
    PaulyD likes this.
  10. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was afraid of that
  11. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    It might work with panniers (soft or hard) as I've crashed my bike on them quite a few times and they've held up very well.
    You might try and use a strap connecting the bags over the rack.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Try an Acerbis fender. (85cc MX KTM +/- 2012 model) they come in various colours and are very strong. You need to drill two holes between the factory 4 but that's enough. Then you'll have space between the fender and the light for a bag.
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  13. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What did you do for the lower headlight mounts that attach to the fender?
  14. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Nothing as I've got two XCountry's turned Challenge. The Country has a different headlight (mounting) so you'll have to improvise there.
    PaulyD likes this.
  15. Shmikes_1

Shmikes_1 Perpetual Novice

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, quick question... I'm gonna install a usb port thingy on my handlebars before I head off around Europe for a month.

I don't want to connect it directly to my battery as i'll likely drain it dry. The product i've ordered has a single usb port and a cigarette lighter port. I'd like there to be NO current draw when the key is off. Can i just connect it inline with the ignition cables?

Cheers in advance..
    Shmikes
  16. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would work, make sure you get a USB port that supplies 2.1 amps. I have a Samsung Galaxy 5 and it will barely stay charged running maps on a 1 amp USB. I'm in process of upgrading now.
    Shmikes_1 likes this.
  17. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Cheers bud, so running it inline with the ignition switch isn't a bad idea electrically?...
    adventure5101 likes this.
  18. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem, 2 amps at 5 volts is less than 1 amp at 12 volts so it isn't much of a load in the big picture.
    keepshoveling and Shmikes_1 like this.
  19. Shmikes_1

Oddometer:
    Boom, thanks again.
  20. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Warranty fuel pump arrived. It is a different shape than the first, which is different from the OEM. The latest one included and new two wire plug, Neg and Pos to pump unit. It included a newer pre filter that seems to fit much better than the last, and a few rubber sleeves.

I got creative with zip ties to mount it, as the included sleeves won't work for our application/oemfitment . Re did my redneckery and she fired right up!