BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you take a picture of your redneckery? "Creative engineering" is highly valued in Alabama.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  2. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Ok X-lovers and lovers of X (the bike not past gfs and pill poppers)...I just rode my 2nd hand Xchallenge 8000miles from Cali, up the Continental Divide to Banff, then back to LA via the 101. I'm supposed to sell and return home end of this month but thinking to keep and return.in a few months to ride SAmerica...any suggestions to help store or anyone want to buy a great X at a great price (3500 with ohlins, custom seat and some other goodies, 35000miles).  BTW not a single issue aside from punctures on the rough stuff!! Perfect touring/offroad bike :) DSC_0378.JPG DSC_0285.JPG DSC_0378.JPG DSC_0285.JPG DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0378.JPG
    Reg York, PaulyD, seasider and 3 others like this.
  3. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    There are complex solutions but what I did for a quick connection on my XCo was to pick it off at the fuse box. I picked a lightly loaded circuit for grins (can't remember which one but I could look). Use a Positap to pick it off.
    Another option is to use the aux port on the side (by the shock) and plug into it with a cable, but it is always on so you'd have to remember to unplug when not running the motor.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Tap into the evap cannister solenoid circuit or the parking light circuit for switched power. The ignition switch wiring has enough issues with the switch melting the solder joints inside it so why add to it?
    keepshoveling and jjmead1 like this.
  5. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Listen to Tbarstow..........not the ignition. Anything but that.
  6. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    I took the power for the USB plug from the headlight, to prevent it from draining the battery when the bike is off. Works great and requires very little wiring.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  7. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    So just an update and a big request...I bought the ADVtank for the xchallenge and it performed flawlessly over VERY rough terrain plus no damage at all to alloy subframe. FYI, I jump my bike too so it wasn't a simple gravel cruise! For 200bux it's a good looking, plumbed in solution that took 30min to install and gives me 210-250mile range! See pics of CDR in previous post.

2nd...I need help in Los Angeles!! Short term storage or a place to work on bike (oil change etc, nothing major as bike is great after the big trip and zero issues). Anyone in LA that can help??
  8. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    This is what I did for my GPS and has been great.
  9. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    octo, post your request in the California regional forum, has to be one for LA listed
    octopusenvy likes this.
  10. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Or look in the Tent Space thread and click on the google map there.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  11. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I told you guys I would post some photo's of my clutch and cover replacement and I apologize for taking so long, and for the bad pictures..

You can see a bit of wear on the inside of the old cover, the bike has less than 7k miles.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the old cover, and the new, they are the same, BMW on top, Husky on bottom.
    [​IMG]
    Heres all the old clutch assembly, I'm not sure why the one steel plate turned blue? All the friction plates had a ton of material left, but they were slipping for sure.
    [​IMG]
    BMW spring on the right, new EBC on the left, they are a bit larger in diameter, and are definitely stiffer, but I like it.
    [​IMG]
    As some of you guys said, I checked the bearing, and nothing was wonky
    [​IMG]
    And last, a photo of the Husky cover on the bike. It may not be the look that everyone likes, but I do. haha
    [​IMG]
    crash a-ron and Reg York like this.
  12. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also made a tail tidy, have about ten bucks into it. Made from .090 5052 aluminum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd say its an improvement!
    [​IMG]

While I was working on the bike, I also decided to do something about the kickstand switch, I decided to simply take Snooker's approach, tape it up and tuck it away. The 9 o'clock position worked the best for me.
    [​IMG]
    I taped it up, ran it along the left side frame rail, and on top of the rear inner fender.
    [​IMG]
    Now I don't have to worry about that stupid kickstand safety switch! woo!:wings

I love this bike!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DGR, keepshoveling, seasider and 4 others like this.
  13. Reg York

Reg York Boet

Oddometer:
    Schoenies.jpg Bike Sorted.JPG
    Head gasket sorted and bike running well..... photograph taken at Schoenies, Eastern Cape South Africa Bike Sorted.JPG
  14. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    My lovely wifey and I had a nice three day trip out in the Netherlands. Doing recce for a two day event that covers about 300 kms a day in October and some general riding about on tracks and trails.

Here's my bike all loaded up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

The Dream Team !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We even got spectators ! :imaposer

[​IMG]

Slippy slidy stuff too.

[​IMG]

Time for a brew !

[​IMG]

She's only been doing off-road for two years now and this was a first with luggage. Her having vertigo doesn't make it easier :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing I brought my Swiss Army knife here ! :rofl

[​IMG]

Clear skies, clear minds and off to home !

[​IMG]

We both have the fully adjustable Hyperpro shock and the reworked forks with Husky cartridges and the ride is amazing even with full luggage I was able to go over 100 km/h on some pretty bumpy tracks !
    keepshoveling, Reg York, Len and 6 others like this.
  15. jamie92j

jamie92j Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some great photos there! Although this is by far the biggest hill I have ever seen in the Netherlands! :clap
    octopusenvy, Dutchgit and hansi like this.
  16. Cam805

Cam805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Octo - I am in Ventura, about 1:15 from LA. Hit me up with a PM if you are still looking. I have a small garage, but could probably squeeze in another moto for a short while

octopusenvy likes this.
  17. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    Had my transmission fail on the Nullabour on Sunday
    Changed down a gear as I crossed a road, let the clutch out and no drive to the rear wheel
    Waiting for the bike to get shipped home to see what has gone wrong
    Bike has 60000km
    Anyone had their transmission fail?
  18. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I'm over 48,000 kilometers without a hint of transmission problems... and I don't use the clutch much of the time.
  19. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I had a spring let loose in the transmission and the shifter forks are also a bit delicate. The worst part is having to split the cases to fix it.
  20. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is had to tell from that pic, but is your bearing fully seated? It isn't crooked, which is good, but it looks like it isn't fully flush to the lip on the outbound side of the pressure plate.