BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Sugra

Sugra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any 150lb. XChallenge riders out there? What rear spring rate are you using? Please, help! My bike came with a Hyperpro for a person considerably heavier than me. I somehow decided 800lbs/in was the replacement spring I needed. Appears to be too stiff. When I'm at about 3.5 inches of rider sag, my static sag is around 2.0 inches. Rather than spending more money going the trial and error route with lighter springs, I just thought I'd ask for input.

I'd be curious to know what front springs you're running too.

Thanks
  2. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sugra, I think that was the weight used for my wifes lowered shock for her XCo. I looked in email but didn't see spring rate, just weight spec. I will try to check tomorrow in garage to see what it says.
    Otherwise, reach out to Ted Porter at Beemershop, he will set you up.
    Sugra likes this.
  3. Sugra

Oddometer:
    What are you getting for your static and rider sag on the 95N/mm spring?
  4. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    does anyone know the purpose of the short drain hose under the airbox is? about 6" long with a plug..part 6 in the microfiche page 13_1213 intake muffler, mounting parts. just a short hose with a plug in the end... curious
  5. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    Damper question.
    Anyone running a Scotts or GPR damper with a HDB bar setup?

Dan

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  6. an13

an13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Airbox drain hose is for draining water, fuel and oil from bottom of air box which gathers there because crank case breathes into airbox. Just open sometimes and let the goo come out.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  7. fish4life

fish4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys ... Owner of a G650x country here, but feel the questions are relevant to both. Hope you can help. The stock instrument cluster died. Thinking of getting a Trail Tech Vapor to replace it with. My questions are about whether the stock instrument cluster does any calculations inside it, or is simply a display.

1. Will the ABS still work fine with the stock instrument cluster removed? (I don't know whether this unit does the ABS calculations or is there some dedicated unit on the bike for it)
    2. Since the stock setup has no temp gauge does it calculate the temp at which to trigger the warning light inside the instrument cluster, or does the stock temp sending unit only send when it reaches a certain temp and that, in turn, only triggers the light? Also, anyone know what that temperature is, or what is considered overheating for this bike so i can configure the Vapor?
    3. Same as #2 but for low oil pressure, ABS and low fuel warning lights (I want to make sure i can wire in separate LEDs that will still function correctly after i remove the stock cluster)
    4. Where is the stock speedometer sensor? Is it the same one as the ABS sensor?

Thank you guys so much in advance. Need to get this all sorted out before riding season, and it is coming up quick.

(FYI, the instrument cluster works 10% of the time. Other 90% it displays half-digits (ex. an 8 looks like a J or a 0 looks like a L) so i can't read any of the data. I don't believe there is a fix for it. I tried to disassemble the whole thing and make sure it was totally dry and not corroded on the inside etc, but to no avail. Still broken.)
  8. an13

an13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4. as stock speed is measured from rear wheel ABS sensor.
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    #2 and #3 - yes, these are just high/low switches for temperature, oil, and fuel.
    waylongway likes this.
  10. cgguy09

cgguy09 ScientiƦ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    I briefly looked into installing a Vapor....in short, it could be done, but it wouldn't be easy. You'd have to do a fair amount of splicing to hook up the basic components of the cluster, then to get oil pressure/temp, you would need to install a Trail Tech sensor into the oil circulation system. I wish trail tech would have made a G650x kit but they didn't....
    If you do it, document it. I know a lot of people would want to follow the trail if you made it.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  11. fish4life

fish4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But if I don't want to connect oil pressure/temp to the Vapor, cant i just connect the existing oil sensor wire to a new LED on my custom dash and have it work the same way as now? Low oil pressure, LED comes on ... because the current system does not snow oil pressure/temp anyways, just a warning light

I agree, if you wanted to have everything hooked up properly it would probably be a considerable amount of work. That is in #2 and #3 i'm asking if these sensors just send data when to light up the light, or if the instrument cluster does any computation with the data and decide when to light up the light.

Thanks!
  12. fish4life

fish4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok ... so i took a look at the wiring diagram for the 650 to see all the wires that feed into the instrument cluster. This is what I've found:

PIN - Usage

22 - ABS
    9 - Tach
    13 - oil pressure
    23 - neutral
    2 - high beam
    1 - right turn signals
    8 - left turn signals
    25 - fuel level

So with the exception of the temperature sensor, they all seem to send data directly to the instrument cluster, which means, i should be able to, in theory, just add additional indicator lights for these when the instrument cluster is gone.

However, there are two wires coming into the instrument cluster from the engine electronics control unit, that I'm not sure about. I'm assuming the temperature light comes on from a signal from these two wires? They are labeled Pin 18: TAA and Pin 24 : KT.

Does anyone know what else these two wires carry?

Also, if the temp signal is not coming to the instrument cluster on a dedicated wire (like oil pressure) then is it safe to assume the OEM temp sensor is not just a switch, but rather a gauge, and the instrument cluster is programmed to light up the warning lamp after it reaches a certain value? (Just guessing here?) If not, then how would it work unless nothing else is coming from the ECU to the instrument cluster across these two wires? (Because any other signal would trigger the high temperature warning light, right?)

Thanks guys!!!
  13. Cam805

Cam805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am out of the country for a few days, so will confirm when I get home; but if I recall, I set it up for around 20% sag with rider / no luggage. Most of my riding is day trips, but occasional 3 day loaded camping so I split the difference somewhat. I think I had to dial in the pre-load just a smidge.

Still have the 110N/mm spring if there are any big boys out there!
  14. gswadd

gswadd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went for a bit of a squirt on the weekend with a few other guys. Ended up being close to 1,400km for the two days. The XC got the best fuel economy of the group, no matter what the conditions were. Had to beg for fuel at the Mt Coolon pub for the other three, but the XC made it to the next major service station (180km) with litres to spare. To be honest, Glen ,on the DR, did give away 6.5 litres to the thirsty WR on the last leg and left himself a bit short. Fuel can be a bit of an issue in the back blocks of Queensland so glad I have approx. 650-700km range.

The speeds were high and the roads corrugated, so the poor old girl shook off nearly everything that could fall off without affecting its ability to be a motorcycle. Might have to invest in a heavier grade of Loctite.

DSCN0238s.jpg DSCN0265s.jpg DSCN0236s.jpg DSCN0231s.jpg
    keepshoveling, DGR, DoubleM and 5 others like this.
  15. Sugra

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Given that I've read it's pretty standard to spring bikes at the factory for around a 170 pound rider, it's surprising that the Ohlins suggestion of 110 N/mm is so high. I guess the whole factory airshock thing sort of throws a wrench in things. I hope choosing fork springs for my weight is a little simpler.
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    It's true, I am passing the X torch along... if all goes well I expect Brent should have his new to him ride in the next two weeks tops (quicker if shipping is quick).

Was a hard call and I may, as some have in the past, regret it. But I am down sizing as I am shifting to almost completely off-road technical trails and trials riding.

I will likely keep an eye on the thread as it has been a great bike and may someday get a second one. Time will tell.
  17. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your contributions and have fun. If you post up any trials video, shoot us a link!
    waylongway likes this.
  18. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be a done deal if it weren't for our stellar USPS. Seems like Certified Mail would be more difficult to lose....

98 1100GS
    98 CB750
    78 KZ650
  19. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Nice pics!!! :thumb
    700km days on the wooden blue stock saddle? :eekers
    That would be torture for me!
  20. gswadd

gswadd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After doing similar days on a WR450, I quite like the stock seat on the XC. I'm a bit of a lazy rider, so sit down when I can, but must just have a hard arse... :kat
    keepshoveling likes this.