BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    If you guys are on Facebook I posted all the electrical diagrams that were converted over to English, at the top under files.
    BMW G 650 X Challenge
    CoatsEast, fish4life and joints4sale like this.
  2. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks, I had thought/looked into it a bit before, but I think I'd rather spend a little extra coin for exactly what I want than take a shot on something that may not be really what I want and have to buy twice.. thank you though!
  3. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have hyperpro front and rear. Awesome product. Go shock and carry extra fuel in a can. A good suspension makes a world of difference
  4. Wyocrawler

Oddometer:
    A bit of fun today in southern Ohio.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  5. Stoep

Stoep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well this is unfortunate. Tried to order the brackets for a low fender from hot rod welding and got this...

Attached Files:

6. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that seriously sucks. Guess I couldn't get an x-tank if I wanted!
  7. Stoep

Stoep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was trying to get some stuff too..
  8. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    My recently purchased Xch came with the TT 4.2g tank. I'm thinking about going back to stock. Is there a market for used TT tanks? If so, is there recommended procedure to address the penetrations in the stock tank other than buy new or swap with the purchaser of the TT?
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    If you can I would see about a swap with the purchaser of the TT. I didn't know about (or think of) using the vent as a siphon when I got my TT tank or I would never had cut into the primary tank...
  10. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    My offer still stands, if you guys need anything.
    joints4sale, Butters and Len like this.
  11. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Proud Highway , There is a market for the tanks, just specialized. Mine had one on it at one time, PO sold it separately. He used some QDs to connect the hoses together so he could go back and forth.
    IMG_2560.JPG
    Proud Highway likes this.
  12. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Yes I did the quick disconnects as well, worked fine.
  13. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those TT tanks would be handy..
  14. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just plug the lines that tap the OE tank. That's how mine came. I reinstalled the TT tank and reconnected plugged line.

The "plug" was a trimmed bolt (smooth portion left only) that fit the fuel line snugly, with a hose clamp.
  15. Wyocrawler

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I know it's a long shot, but I'm looking for a TT rally fairing for my X.
  16. fish4life

fish4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I have a question about correct suspension set up for my G650x country:

1. The manual explains how many turns to do to adjust dampening and preload for 180lb rider. I'm 210lb, so probably 220-225 with gear. How many extra turns does that equate to? I have no idea
    2. The front feels a little too soft when i brake. Would thicker fork oil help at all? Or only stiffer springs?
    3. What is the maintenance schedule for front forks? Manual does not mention.

Thanks!
  17. cgguy09

cgguy09 ScientiƦ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey friend,
    1 so with that weight you're going to want to turn the knob just about all the way in... unfortunately, BMW shocks are made for boys like you and me. So, you'll get the best results if you turn it all the way in, otherwise you'll need to get a new spring ( which we have already discussed LOL ). Also, feel free to Google ride sag, that will really determine how much you to turn it in.
    2 your latter suggestion is going to be the best, HyperPro sell some rather inexpensive springs that you can drop in. Thicker oil really won't make too much of a difference, if you look in this thread you'll see a lot about that. In short, any oil change you make will be palliative at best. If you're from a Telelever bike, then the nose dive Will drive you crazy for the first thousand miles
    3. Not sure, i've put about 8,000 miles on mine, and outside of brief leak due to dust, they still feel great.

Please ignore all the typos i used Siri write this
  18. fish4life

fish4life Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! What about adjusting the front? Reading here I see that i can set compression and rebound damping on the front forks but I'm not familiar with how that works.

Can I perform this change in order to stiffen the front end up a little under braking? If so, what's the procedure? Increase compression side and leave the rebound side as is? Increase both?

Is there a write up for this?
  19. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I spent a cuppla hours poring over the wiring schematics to try to make some sense outta what's going into and out of the Instrument Panel. Then I decided to tabulate it all on a spreadsheet BUT I can't figure out how to upload anything here that's not a picture or a gpx, so picture it is.

Therefore, here's a jpeg of the spreadsheet that tabulates every connection to the Instrument Panel that I can find plus some few connections to the ABS Control Unit and Motor Control Unit that feed on to the Instrument Panel.

G650XCh-Instr_Pnl_Pins.jpg

So with that done, lemme first lay out a couple of caveats: 1) this simply reports what I can observe from the schematics I have available and they're not always completely legible so there may be a little kentucky windage in my reading & interpretation, 2) nobody else has checked this for errors and while I've gone over it a couple of times, I find that once I miss something, I usually miss it on the next check too so it might behoove you to go over it yourself, 3) I'm not a trained service tech so my guesses as to what function each connection performs is just that, a guess, so exercise some caution about taking what I think I'm seeing here as the literal truth. Use this info at your own risk!

Now, a couple of interesting observations. First is that the wiring to the Instrument Panel (IP) is different with and without ABS. Without ABS, the wheel speed sensor feeds directly to the IP. With ABS, the wheel speed sensor goes to the ABS Control Unit (ABSCU) which passes the speed signal and ABS warning light signal on to the IP AND it goes to a different connector. Also, the rear wheel speed sensors have different part numbers w/ and w/o ABS ... I'm guessing that the difference may be in the length of the wire and end terminals configuration.

Second, it looks like the high temp alarm signal to the IP comes from the Electronic Motor Control Unit (EMCU) 'cause that seems to be the only place the temperature sensor signal goes. That kinda makes sense 'cause the EMCU needs to know the engine temp for air/fuel ratio control and to turn the fan on and off.

Last, there's a mysterious connection from the IP to the EMCU that's labeled "TAA". I haven't got a clue, can anybody else out there shed some light?

Based on the inputs to it, I reckon that the IP is solely in charge of computing and maintaining the clock and odometers.

So here ya go. Get your own schematics & check/confirm my work. You can find 'em here --

Thanks blaster11, for both the reminder and the file repository. You can also find a set on Snooker's website http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry/bmwLinks/index.htm
  20. cgguy09

cgguy09 ScientiƦ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    The X-Mo & X-Ch have adjustable front forks. The X-Co does not. (Thanks BMW)

If you were to get a set of X-M/CH forks, you could crank up the Compression/Rebound...But you'd still get a nose dive...and the rest of the ride would suck. No matter what, you'll get nose dive to some degree with traditional/inverted forks on an ADV bike. (It's one of the sacrifices you make for this style of bike). If you really want no nose dive on a non-telelever bike, go out & a F800GS with the electronic fork suspension....for a low low price of your left testicle and a small mortgage!!

If you back track in this thread, you'll see a lot of X-heads have swapped out the forks all together...from Gas Gas, Aprilla, and other assorted bikes. I don't think that's necessary, I swapped out the springs with Hyper-pro and they felt just great. then, I went a step further & had a shock guy rework the valves & they feel amazing. (The latter change is hard to do, but the first is quite easy). I'm willing to bet there are a number of people in this thread that likely have a pair of X-Ch shocks taking up space on a shelf somewhere. Keep in mind if you swap out the internals it'll make your front end about 2-4 inches taller, and you'll need to lower the front end...which will look weird and maybe even change how the bike rides...I'll defer to higher authority on that aspect.

good luck.
    focal likes this.