BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it;s the bars and not the headstock bearing going on you?
    Do you have bar risers installed? I found that with bar risers it was almost a given that the bars would shift very crash (perhaps more leverage on the higher bars)...
    ...otherwise tighten the screws holding the bar risers to the upper tripple and/or replace the bolts.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  2. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm certain it's the two bolts connecting my Rox risers to the triple clamp. I can see it flexing while I ride. I've already torqued the shit out of the bolts. I'm thinking it's the added leverage from the 2" risers that really makes it flex like it does.
  3. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Dutchgit has a post on procedure in this thread. I think I quote it at some point as well.
  4. gqelements

Oddometer:
    if you can see the bars move, i wonder if you are missing a spacer/washer or something on the underside of the triple and/or the bolts are too long (backing into the the back of the riser's threaded hole and not tightening the risers to the triple adequately). There is also some squishy rubber washers that are supposed to sit between the riser and the triple if recall correctly...

There is no reason why the risers should be moving at all while riding.
    Tallbastid likes this.
  5. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Cool - I'll take a look tonight. I should add I'm a really big guy, so I'm guessing I put extra stress on the bars, but I'll report back on what I find.
  6. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I noticed the same thing with my X. I blamed it on my two bill plus weight but the additional leverage of bar risers. I went through the tightening procedures for the TTC and it fixed the problem
  7. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Thank - what's TTC?
  8. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Top Triple Clamp... sorry, on mobile device.
    Tallbastid likes this.
  9. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I just went through to try and find the procedures for coolant draining. It seems there are a few ways to skin the cat. In short, I didn't find a clear write-up on how to do

Hard way:
    1.) Watch

Easy way:
    1.) Remove Tupperware as needed
    2.) Undo the little bolt on the right side of the head
    [​IMG]
    2.) removed the radiator cap.
    3.) removed drain bolt on motor.
    [​IMG]
    4.) squeezed the hoses and rock bike back and forth
    5.) remove & dump overflow reservoir.
    [​IMG]
    6A. (Optional): remove hose attached to radiator
    [​IMG]
    6B. (Optional): Runs denatured water through the radiator to partially "flush" the system.
    7. Tighten Drain screw, re attach reservoir.
    8. Fill Radiator fill UNTIL coolant comes out of the RHS bleeder bolt.
    9. Tighten the bolt back up and close the radiator cap,
    10. Fill the expansion tank to the "max" level.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:hmmmmmIf you're going for the quick and dirty you shouldn't have to remove a single hose. It should merely be dump, pump, and fill to you spill.

:hmmmmmIf you're like me, and you burnt a hole in a your radiator hose and had to refill it with questionable Canadian Fluid, then I would pour some denatured water in the system, remove the hose attached to the radiator and remove the hose attached to the lower crank case on the LHS.

Type of Fluid:
    Modern engines require specific fluids and this includes coolants, motor oils, gear oils, ATF, etc. and there is no one size fits all.

This is what Propylene Glycol mixed with Ethylene Glycol looks like when drained from a Bobcat Skidsteer and it would look the same in our Rotax over time.

That white substance that has settled to the bottom of the glass jar is a “goop” or “gel” like substance. This plugs up our coolant system. (Credit @ArcticRider)

So my recommendation is flush the Propylene Glycol out if you are using it and go back to Pentofrost NF or BMW Blue.

AND if anyone is using coolant more than 2 years old...its probably a good idea to change it because it has lost much of its anti-corrosion properties and will result in premature water pump failure or radiator corrosion. (Credit to @ArcticRider )

Hugs & Kisses,
    cFogs
  10. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a rubber bushing in the handlebar system? I seem to recall @tbarstow mentioning it when he broke the bolts.
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are rubber dampers under your handlebar risers. You probably have bent boolts and washers in your handlebar mounts as well.
  12. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pentofrost NF also meets the requirements for BMW. It is used in Mercedes engines and likely the German company that makes it for BMW.
  13. gqelements

Oddometer:
    you guys are amazing. Thanks for the tutorial, will try the quick and dirty way this week...you may actually make a mechanic out of me!

@tbarstow stop lurking, buy that xCountry just outside Monteal (3K USD) and come do the Roaming Rally in May with @BikerBobber and i
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just had to bookmark the page. Thanks to all for your information.

Is the fluid change from the service manual or did it come from another source?

☮️
  15. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The picture (where it says "slacken screw 4") is from the manual. I always take the bolt out. Keep the bolt handy for when it starts to piss out fluid.
  16. gqelements

Oddometer:
    Hi @ArcticRider did that GS Radiator Kit work out for you? I'm thinking of spicing up the radiator hoses while doing the flush...
  17. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Nice to see the coolant instructions again. Perfect timing as I'm about to change it again next weekend.:clap

Last time I changed the coolant (6months ago) I also replaced the thermostat. I just wanted to finish the job that day and didn't have any real hose clamps at home so I reused the stock clamps...
    Turns out that was a bad idea since I recently found a few drops of coolant on the floor. The hose was leaking at the point where it connects to the thermostat. Main suspect is the reused hose clamp :linzi
    Just posting this here so others don't make the same mistake. Get some decent hose clamps if you plan to remove any hoses, don't try to reuse the stock clamps. They will fail you eventually. I feel pretty lucky I found out at home, but these thing usually happen at an inconvenient moment... you know how those things work :D
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  18. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'll pm @GB & see if we can get that post added to the 1st Index page.

For all of you who are un-awares. This is an index-style thread. Thus, all the major how-to's, questions, and procedures are linked on the first page.

hugs & kisses,
    cFogs
  19. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Aww thanks cgguy09.
    I needed a hug.
    Working on making a new dash for my lynx fairing. I mounted like they said but really wasn't fawned of it being under the bar risers. So before my risers I got coming from Dee gets here I figured I better get busy.

Peace
  20. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Like to see how you do that. It is the one thing I don't like about my fairing...

Sent from my mobile