BMW G650X Country rebuild

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jtw000, Sep 6, 2018.

1. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    My BMW G650x took me from London to Cambodia, with a detour through and around Europe. She's had some bad luck and ended up on fire due to a bodged piece of wiring when someone (not mentioning who) fitted a sat-nav.
    [​IMG]

I stripped her down and fitted a whole new loom. To be fair she made it with a rebuilt wiring harness through three further countries but she needed some love.
    I decided to do the job right this time. She's had her day as a traveller and she's going to be relegated to semi-retirement as an urban scrambler, which is what she was intended to be in the first place.
    I stripped her to the bone and cleaned and painted everything.

[​IMG]

Thanks to some help from a few gentleman on this forum, I got her fully assembled and worked out the wiring. I won't pretend it was fun but she's running now and, in fact, she fired first time and ran well.

Now I'm just working on the direction to take her. I'm squeezing out a little more power. I'm making upgrades as I go and changing the gearing down to match the X-Challenge. She's going to look radically different as I'm going to have fun with this. So far, this is the direction I'm taking.

[​IMG]

The beak is tough to make out. It follows the line of the 'tank' and flows along. It will double as a mudguard and has alcoves along the sides where smallish LED projector lamps will be fitted. The standard seat is gone and will be replaced with a racing-style solo seat arrangement. The exhaust will be a carbon lightweight unit tucked in close and shortened and a PC4 will compensate for the changes.
    I'm thinking of removing the filler cap from the side and replacing the vent with a removable cap so it will take fuel under the seat. I'll cover the tank to disguise the look of the bike.
    The beak is plastic and will be cast locally in carbon-fibre. I'm in Cambodia now and work like that is remarkably cheap, surprisingly, but you have to make a model for them to follow. The thing is under construction and is looking pretty much how I want it now, after scrapping three of them.
    She's going to be all matt black when she's finished and is going to be fun. Her serious work-horse days are over.
    It's a slow project but hopefully will end up with a cool bike.

[​IMG]
    invisa-bill likes this.
  2. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    That's got to be taking the BMW beak concept to its ultimate conclusion... and I think it looks great! I look forward to seeing the bike finished, so carry on with the good work Sir!!

Cheers... Paul
    jtw000 likes this.
  3. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Thanks. This is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I want to try something different. I really did this thread so I have a constant kick up the arse, where I need it. I want to be riding her as soon as possible.