BMW G650XCH Touratech Install Bash Plate, Rotor Guard, Bar Risers

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by lsellers, May 5, 2007.

1. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Firstly I have to apologize, I'm new at wrenching and posting this sort of thing but loved the instructions on how to install the hb crashbars on my GS and really appreciated the attention to detail. This won't get close to that but maybe I'll get better. I haven't done much as far as working on my GS, I let the local shop do most of it but that'll change. My growing bike is the g650xchallenge. I plan on wrenching on it and becoming familiar/confident in fixing things myself.

I took the time today to install the Touratech Bar Risers, Bash Guard and Rear Break Cover. Just got the bike back from it's first service of 600 miles, thats why it's clean. Later I'll do the canister removal. You'll see in the Bar Riser section an easteregg of the light protecter.

The Bar Risers:

Conceptually very easy to install. I've helped a buddy install bar risers on his R1150 R and I thought, sure.....I can do this no prob.......it'll be a 30 min job and I'll be on to the next thing.

On an earlier ride I had mangled my handlebars and they were slightly bent to the left, so I was familiar with how the bars were mounted....bolts from below!

Touratech's instructions didn't mention how much trouble I'd have with the right side bolt, but more on that later. There isn't a lot of room to work between the forks so step 1 was to remove the light/instrumentation panel to clear some room up, and the beak. Step 2 is to install the risers (sorry no pics but they fit right under stock) and replace old bolts with longer bolts. Step 3 is to put everything back together.

I started with taking out the display screws
    [​IMG]

disconnected the right/left front blinkers
    [​IMG]

I kept the lights hooked up and just propped it up on top of the bars using the break cable for tension
    [​IMG]

I put the headlamp on the ground and placed out all the bolts so I'd remember how I put them back on
    [​IMG]

notice the knobs coming out of the beak, the light housing unit slides up and out after the two mounting screws are out
    [​IMG]

the beak was easy to take out, four screws, 2 washers, the top two screws the washers were either stuck on somehow or were part of the beak itself, I didn't mess with mother nature.
    [​IMG]

here's a pic of the beak from the side
    [​IMG]

here's what we're lookin at. You'll see the new screw on driver's left has been installed loosely. I was able to get the old one out and in w/o removing any body parts. However notice driver's right side, notice the ignition housing, the bracket below and to the right of the ignition (why it's there I don't know, nothing was attached to it but it's predrilled for something) and the locking unit/pin in the center. These two things were the pain in the butt. Touratech's new bolt is longer than stock, so trying to replace it was a PIA. With some tweaking it worked, I basically had to force it, also making sure that the washer with the notch cut into it lined up properly to the underside adjacent nut.
    [​IMG]

My bloodsugar was getting low so I took a break and got some food, left off some steam because like I said earlier, that bolt was a PIA.

Success!!!
    [​IMG]

I put everything back together, tightened and torqued, and checked the lights....they worked!
    [​IMG]

The Bash Guard

Basically an easy install, I didn't read the instructions. Remove four screws, replace with new screws, washers and spacers - pretty simple!

Here's the stock bash guard front.
    [​IMG]

Stock bashguard side.
    [​IMG]

Stock bashguard rear.
    [​IMG]

Here's the stock and new side by side comparison.
    [​IMG]

Here's how the screws line up with the spacers, note how the spacers are on the inside of the front section of the bash plate.
    [​IMG]

New Bash Front
    [​IMG]

New Bash Spacers
    [​IMG]

Here's the new bash plate side view, see the coolant drain plug? I'm gonna tie that down in the future I think.
    [​IMG]

Rear Rotor/Break Guard

The easiest of today's installs. Remove two screws, replace with new screws, washers and one spacer. I actually did this first so I have less pictures. I let the sensor hang connected and removed the bolts, lined up with the new bolts, spacer and washers and then tightened. I had dried plants stuck in the cracks, you'll see them on the ground......kinda funny.

Guard Front
    [​IMG]

Guard Side
    [​IMG]

Not all that difficult but I had fun and thought I'd share.
  2. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    Sweet! What would it take to get that stock bashplate off from ya? PM me if you want to sell.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent pictorial installation, just what we need for the X-Challenge. :clap

Now that the bike is a reality and people are buying, please post such posts separately and not in the X-Challenge mergefest. It'll be a lot easier to find this way!

If you add more farkles, please show us here.. you lead, and I will follow! :lol3
  4. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    I'm going to hold on to the stock bash plate, never know what that spare metal can turn in to!

5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to use this thread in the Index thread for the XChallenge.. I'm not seeing your pics here anymore.. is it just me or are the pics gone?? :scratch
  6. mcftw

mcftw hxc n33b

Oddometer:
    i dont see em either :patch
  7. kutch

kutch That fell off where?

Oddometer:
    See what?
  8. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    x2