BMW GS/GSA TFT Megathread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Matrixmatt, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Matrixmatt

Matrixmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there does anyone know if the tft screen on 2018 gsa have a protective screen or film over them. Mine is hard to clean and looks like it has marks on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I clean mine with just warm water and a clean rag. I used cleaners on it once and it looked like crap. The warm water and rag leaves no streaks or anything for me.
  3. Matrixmatt

Matrixmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering if that is the issue. I used plexus on it once.

4. KDXRC51

KDXRC51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be, try just warm water and a rag, you may have to do it a couple times to get the plexus off.
    Matrixmatt likes this.
  5. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use this on my NAV V, iPad, laptop and such.

689F8AE2-86A8-40FB-8975-2E365057F152.jpeg
    Matrixmatt likes this.
  6. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    BruceWA, glen gs and Matrixmatt like this.
  7. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine had a matt looking cover over it ... when removed the TFT is very glossy. I placed a protector over mine similar to the one used by Vanha.
    BruceWA likes this.
  8. Matrixmatt

Matrixmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok sso was the cover heavy plastic or a strip of flimsy plastic.

9. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fingernail initially rippled it and then just peeled off .. just a thin film. I guess you could leave it on for protection but you will notice the difference when it comes off.
  10. glen gs

glen gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for the speedo angels cover,
  11. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I received my screen protectors from speedo angels - standard and anti-glare.

The TFT on my BMW C400GT screen has an anti-glare coating on it.

Can the speedo-angels screen protector be removed safely without damaging the existing anti-glare coating?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
  12. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a matte Speedo Angels on my TFT and gloss on the Nav 6. I have seen screens get inadvertently scratched so I wanted the added protection. Not sure about removing the screen protector "safely" so it's hard to say. I've had several screens on my iPhone that I've had to change out and haven't had an issue but that's a different screen type I suppose.
  13. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    It does have a protective film when delivered
  14. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a speedo angels anti glare on my 1250 TFT and found it not so bright and clear so removed it it came away very easily no issues whatsoever.
    My TFT has it's own anti glare coating and it seems to work brilliantly I'll just be careful not to scratch the surface .
    I only bought the speedo angles one as a protection layer.
  15. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    Did you try adjusting the brightness? Also, there are several different screen protector options from Speedo Angels.

Mine has a pinkish hue which I don’t particularly care for but I’ve gotten used to it.
  16. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    I reviewed my screen protectors on YT. Go to 5:30 to see that and see what the protection kits look like if you’re interested.

17. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The_Eccentric, BruceWA and Jarvis like this.
  18. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping that a mod can sticky this thread, in the hopes that it will slow the spawning of TFT related threads here. I'm writing this from the perspective of the owner of a 2018 GSA in the US. Where there are regional differences that I'm aware of I'll add them.

The FAQ I’ll keep adding to over time. Feel free to PM, or post @Me in this thread if you’ve got something to add. Let’s try to keep general bitching out of here. I’m also disappointed that my bike doesn’t give me a reach around. Damn stingy Germans.

==========

Ok, so you bought a 2018 or newer bike that has the TFT display. First things first, read the damn manual. I suggest downloading them as they get updated periodically. I've linked directly to the relevant manuals below. These links point you to the most recent version as of Apr 20, 2019.

Seriously, read it. You can find them all here:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html

2018 R1200GS: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/download.jsp?rx=0&gx=1&mx=6&mjx=6

2018 R1200GSA: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/download.jsp?rx=0&gx=1&mx=12&mjx=9

2019 R1250GS: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/download.jsp?rx=0&gx=1&mx=10&mjx=3

2019 R1250GSA: http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/download.jsp?rx=0&gx=1&mx=17&mjx=3

Next, feel free to take a look at the videos BMW made:

==========

TFT Software Updates

There are multiple "modules" on BMW motorcycles that run software that is updatable by the dealer. Typically the tech will download the appropriate software load to the flashing device. Then hook the device up to bike diagnostic port. TFT updates are streamed from Germany. This means that the software is downloaded from the mothership at the same time it is being pushed to your bike. Why is this important? It takes fucking forever. Best case I've read about is 1 hour, commonly it can take up to 2 hours. Now this doesn't mean a mechanic has to baby sit your bike for two hours. But you are tying up a diagnostics terminal. While you are under warranty you should never have to pay for software updates, including the TFT. That said the dealer is going to have to make a warranty claim to BMW to get the tech's time covered. So simply asking for an upgrade may not work. Stating that you have an issue with connectivity constantly dropping out might be the golden ticket.

As always dealerships run the gambit of accommodating to seemingly punishing you for purchasing a $20k motorcycle. Frankly customers do as well...

Smoak is a vlogger that touched on the process briefly in this video:

==========

TFT Software versions

With the release of the R1250GS/As, it appears that BMW is trying to have one software package for both it and the R1200GS/As. I can update this section with additional info I get from y'all.

Note: BMW does not publicly post software release notices, or change logs. So all we know about are differences that users spot in the field.

Note: I have no idea about the 750/850GS. I believe its the same part, but I know nothing about the SW.

001_011_081:

Older version reported by a R1200 owner.

001_15_040:

This is the version that was on my bike when I picked it up at the dealer in May 2018.

001_015_060:

Changed start screen to include "ABS Pro" logo
    Added transition animations when changing screens on the TFT
    Added the ability to customize Dynamic Pro, and Enduro Pro riding modes
    TFT will attempt to connect to your phone first. Then when successful it will connect to your helmet comms.

I think you have to have the Pro modes plug installed to see this menu.

Note: This version caused issues, and BMW ordered dealers to stop installing it.

001_015_090:

Presumably fixed the black screen issues that version 001_015_060 introduced.

001_018_040:

I believe the first R1250s were built with this version

001_019_180:

The following was provided by @deadflagblues, I've edited a bit. The below items may or may not have actually changed in an earlier release.:

Original firmware was 001_011_081, have since upgraded to 001-019-180 on 06/21/2019.

Changes noticed:
    • Tire Pressure value display was integers. New update value reads to tenths place.
    • Hill Hold ON icon was white. New update HH icon is green, and minimizes to upper left corner when changing to different menu.
  19. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FAQS:

Q: I'm in the US, and cannot figure out how to change the speedometer units displayed on the TFT from MPH to KM/H.

A: You can't. BMW believes that it is illegal for them to enable this in the USA.

=====

Q: How is the TFT supposed to work with helmet comms, my phone, and a Nav V/VI.

A: Do this in order:

Pair your phone to the TFT
    Pair your helmet comms to the TFT
    Pair your phone to your Nav
    Pair your helmet comms to the Nav

Music, phone calls will be controlled via TFT. Your Nav can get live traffic, and you can hear turn by turn directions in your helmet.

=====

Q: Can I use my Cardo/Sena/Chinesium BT comm unit with TFT?

A: If it was made in the past 4 years, probably.

For Cardo Bold/Slim update your unit to at least 4.2.

=====

Q: Can I use the wunder wheel to control the volume on my Cardo/Sena/Chinesium BT comm unit?

A: Not unless it’s a BMW branded unit.

=====

Q: Which ride modes are supported when the plug is installed?

A: Rain, Road, Dynamic Pro, Enduro Pro

=====

Q: I paired everything like you said to, but I don’t hear music!

A: Check the BT device your phone is streaming to. It needs to be the TFT and not the Nav.

=====

Q: How do I control my Nav V/VI with the wunder wheel?

A: You really didn't read the manual did you? Fine. From the home screen on the TFT, hold up on the menu button. You'll see an icon in the top left corner of the display light up that says "Nav". That means you're currently controlling the Nav device in the cradle. Press down once on the menu button, and you should see the icon flip back to "TFT".

=====

Q: My Nav is installed in the cradle, but I don't see a subdued Nav icon in the top left part of the screen. I also can't access the Nav by holding the menu button up. WTH?

A: Take your Nav out of the cradle, and reinstall. The Nav VI fits a little tight. If this doesn't work take a look at the contacts on both the cradle, and the GPS. They might be dirty enough to interfere with the connection. A pencil eraser is a great contact cleaner.
  20. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    First:D
    And in favor of this thread getting sticky’d
    deadflagblues and DMack_762 like this.