BMW GS/GSA TFT Megathread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Matrixmatt, Aug 21, 2018.

1. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What version is having this issue ?
  2. Colin S

Colin S n00b

Oddometer:
    001_019_180

So, the mystery deepens....

Friday afternoon, I rode home from work, after posting on this thread. As expected, the trip computer figures continued on from the ride in to work (they appear to zero each new day), but the onboard computer appeared to have reset itself. The ride home was a bit more stop start and I ended up with a trip computer showing something around 57 mpg as the consumption for the day and the onboard computer some 51 mpg which would appear about right for the journey home.

Saturday I didn't use the bike but I woke up the dash and checked the figures fully expecting both computers to have zero'd. The trip computer had but the onboard computer was still showing 51 mpg. Perhaps the problem had gone away, I wondered?

Today (Sunday) I decided to go for a little joy ride. The computers were still showing the same numbers from Saturday, i.e. Onboard computer 51 mpg and trip computer -- due to the auto reset selection for this. As I got into the ride a bit I checked the numbers and the trip computer was showing high 50's and the onboard computer was slowly creeping up from 51 as the miles passed but it correctly never caught up with the trip computer as it had 14 additional miles covered since it's last unexplained reset. Fast forward 20 or so miles with 1 brief ignition fully off stop of no more than 10 minutes and I pulled into a filling station. After a short stop I headed home and, at some point, scrolled through the readings to spot both mpg readings showing an identical 67 mpg. When I got home this had dropped to 64 mpg. I went into both computers via the down menu button to find Onboard Computer showing say 150 miles since reset (correct) and Trip Computer showing 38 miles (which would be correct for today's outing) but identical mpg numbers.

Quite what is happening to the two mpg figures, I am not entirely certain but, my best guess is that both mpg computers zeroed themselves at the fuel stop and, on Friday, just the Onboard Computer mpg reset itself. Let's see what Monday brings....
  3. resoluterider

resoluterider n00b

Oddometer:
    Speedo Angels Nano Glass Screen Protector for R 1250 GS (2018+) x 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KX43MZW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UIFwDb3AC4WBH
    mikegc likes this.
  4. GSAviator

GSAviator Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an '18 BMW car, and the dealer flashed the gauge cluster to fix the fuel gauge. No problems since. But the dealer had to do it. I think the infotainment updates over satellite or internet, because one day while I was driving the display asked if I wanted to be without Nav while it updated. So I clicked "yes" and it updated in about 15 minutes. New maps and who knows what else.
  5. GSAviator

GSAviator Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL! I did that at least a dozen times!
  6. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I joined this board after reading this thread. The connectivity problems just drove me nuts, I had resorted to having the phone connected to the PackTalk only.
    So, I went on Monday to my dealership for the 1000kms service and mentioned my problems (Cardo PackTalk, iPhone XS, 1250GS). He said well I have the same configuration, and I got mine working ok. First of all, there was a small update to the bike that he did while servicing my bike, probably a TFT update, but I forgot to ask, stupid me.
    My bike is very recent, delivered in August, built recently too.
    We deleted everything everywhere, added packtalk and iPhone to the TFT, deleted the Navi6 BT connexion (I don't use the voice direction thing). It works. No music skipping, everything controllable though the wunderwheel, great sound. I also left the Connected App on my iPhone.
    I will try connecting again the Navi6 and see what gives. Also, he mentioned a big update coming in October, and also told me that Apple Watch messed a little bit with BT on the iPhone and could conflict with the PackTalk BT system. I have yet to ride again with my Apple Watch, I had another watch that day.
  7. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm having a weird issue. I turn on the bike, turn on my Sena, I see both my phone and Sena connect to the bike. I start playing my music and it shows on Spotify it is going through the TFT but I don't hear anything on my Sena. I have to restart my Sena to pick up the sound (I don't even pause on the phone). It has been happening multiple times. Anyone else with this issue? I wonder if I have to turn on the Sena until my phone is connected so that it picks up the music from the first go?
  8. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Sena. Same thing.
  9. Rollmops

Rollmops Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I have a BMW System 7 helmet and integrated Comm system and it does the same sometimes (but not all the times).

Alas, this is not the only issue I have. Mine is from the very first batch of TFT equipped GSs(2017.05 Rallye I got in October of 2017), and I had the displeasure to go trough a lot of software updates, but still have some random issues(a LOT less than when I first got the bike but still flaky)...

I just had my TFT updated to the latest version yesterday but didn't yet bother to redo all the bluetooth setup. (will update you guys when I have spent more time with the updated TFT).

For info, I went from 001_018_040 to 001_19_180 and here's the issues I'm still experiencing and hoping it will fix :

-Random pairing issue between helmet and TFT where it just doesn't work until I power-cycle the bike and the helmet.
    -Random pairing issue where everything seems to have connected successfully but I have no sound in the Helmet unless I power cycle the helmet.
    -Random occurrences of the TFT completely losing the pairing info of my helmet (but the phone is still remembered so it's not a complete reset of the user settings, super weird).
    -Rather long pairing time from the moment I switch the bike on and the moment my helmet is connected(up to a full minute). Phone seems to be a LOT faster.
    -Sometimes I lose the ability to control the music flow with the TFT / WonderWheel but the current tune keeps playing(but might get distorted).
    -Sometimes, especially at the start of a ride, the sound is garbled/distorted and seems to be lagging a bit before catching up.
  10. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since Tuesday's update, I seem to have a much more robust connection than before. I was already on the last bike firmware, but there seems to be another TFT update.
  11. ShirtTucker

ShirtTucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I contacted a local dealer via their online support about updating my TFT. As recommended on this forum, I mentioned my Bluetooth cutting out.
    Being the crafty buggers they are, they called me and left a message stating that the NAV6 handles the Bluetooth connection. Basically they can't be bothered to do the update.

This is why owners need full access to keep their own machines up to date.
    side-burn likes this.
  12. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't see how BMW would let anyone update themselves their bikes with all the safety issues at risk such as corrupted downloads, updates etc though. Tesla has a very clever and quick way to update their cars, but I don't see this happening anywhere else...
  13. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My TFT is totally out of the picture on my 1250 GSA. I had a couple minor issues when the TFT was also paired to my phone and Packtalk. Mainly the TFT would forget or not connect to the phone or Packtalk. Been about 2 months now with just Nav + Phone + Packtalk and no issues.
    SpEd likes this.
  14. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I would have to call them back and ask them how you are connecting to the TFT without having a Nav... They don't need to know if you have one or not
  15. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried it too but for the life of me this thing should work, I love the WunderWheel !
  16. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True and it doesn't seem to influence the TFT BT behavior much. I actually suspect that the iPhone is the culprit here, either it pushes too much data (syncing phone book etc) at once and the TFT can't digest it all, or it buffers too much for the TFT to handle it. Either or, it should be working. This isn't new tech at all !
  17. sk8nsanta

sk8nsanta Mommy's Little Monster

Oddometer:
    Can you let us know which version number you're on?
  18. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike FW hasn't changed, it's the last one (bike is in the garage right now and I'm in bed, I'll post it tomorrow).
  19. Rollmops

Rollmops Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There should be a way to make that kind of behavior known to the mothership(but then again I understand that escalating a minor issue with a local dealership, thus antagonizing it, might not be a good idea in the long run if you don't have other options to get your bike serviced).

Still, I think getting that kind of uninformed(if not outright dishonest) answer should bear consequences... The TFT is deployed on almost each and every current model at BMW motorrad and clearly the idea is that it is the central bluetooth hub (the lack of interoperability between the Nav and the TFT is a really severe design flaw but a whole 'nother topic altogether).

Anyways... NO, the NAV6 doesn't handles the bluetooth connection to your phone or helmet if you chose not to or don't have a Nav6 to begin with, and in any cases, the TFT should be made to work as advertised and be updated with a software revision, especially since such a thing does exists and aims to fix precisely this...
    NoiZboy and mikegc like this.
  20. ShirtTucker

ShirtTucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The message was kind of funny to me, since the entire event played out like this:
    • I found a BMW motorcycle dealer who had a service department that received good reviews online.
    • As I mentioned, I contacted them online with my request.
    • They left a message on our home machine.
    • My wife called me in to the room, telling me that there was a message from a motorcycle dealer (she had already pressed play).
    • I walked into the room to hear "the TFT doesn't have much to do with the Bluetooth connection, that's handled by your NAV unit" part of the message.
    • Pretty much before he had finished the sentence, I had turned to walk out of the room, telling my wife that one of the highest rated BMW motorcycle dealerships in the area has no idea what they're talking about, and that pisses me off.
    NoiZboy, side-burn and scottydawg like this.