BMW GS/GSA TFT Megathread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Matrixmatt, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not used my bike since the 12.4.1 update, but after following the described procedure, I still have some clicks and drops here and there. It’s definitely usable, though, but not what you expect from BMW. My bike has the latest FW, and for one thing, the iPhone BT is rock solid with the Cardo paired directly to the phone. It is also when paired to my Bose QC35 headset.
    If I add the Navi6 it becomes unusable, clicks, drops etc. Infuriating.
    When I went for the 1000kms service, they did perform a small update to the bike though, that made things better. Prior to that I had given up to connecting to the TFT and was using a direct connection with the PackTalk.
    While the TFT is a fabulous tool, the BT shortcomings are simply unacceptable on a 23k€ bike !
    Boxerbro likes this.
  2. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that sequence, which I was able to follow to the letter. It works with the bike parked, and I will report back once I get a few rides in with these connections.
  3. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it happens again, I might do a reset on the TFT....perhaps its Windows base and need to be turned off and on....hahahaha
    NoiZboy likes this.
  4. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This sequence hasn’t proven to be better for me, on the last bike fw
  5. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys, do yourself a favor and just connect to the GPS. I did the whole setup and while it worked most of the time(2 months ish), the TFT would sometimes forget the phone or PackTalk. Very rarely would I get a skipping and I’m sure that was the phone trying to play with both TFT and GPS connected. I fixed it by disabling media on the GPS while it was happening and the skipping instantly disappeared.

For the last 2.5 months I’ve had exactly zero issues. I’m paired with phone + packtalk + gps. I also tried to keep the TFT paired to just the phone and while it worked I saw little reason to keep it.

I know, it should work, but hell you might as well try. Honestly I don’t know what I’m missing without the TFT.
    scottydawg and SpEd like this.
  6. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t tried disabling media on the Navi6 I’ll try it as soon as I go back home. I’s rather have the TFT paired to manage calls and media from the WonderWheel than having the GPS talking to me...
    side-burn likes this.
  7. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    This was definitely a critical part of getting the GPS & Nav VI to work together on my setup, and easy to overlook since it's a "scroll down" item on the Nav VI's screen for the phone connection. Wishing you luck!

UPDATE: See my post below for an update - the TFT started acting up again after getting the most recent TFT software update last weekend, so I've now dropped TFT integration and moved to using the Nav VI as my phone/BT hub. So far that's roughly 10,000% better. Not saying the TFT won't work for anyone or that it's not worth trying, I'm just personally moving on as I've spent more time than I care to on this issue and like the phone & BT I already have. See more info below (Post #311) & good luck to everyone trying to pull this off!
    side-burn likes this.
  8. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019 R1250GSA ... TFT is paired to both my iPhone 8 and Packtalk Bold. The Nav VI is paired to both the iPhone and Packtalk Bold. However, the iPhone <> Nav VI connection only has SmartLink enabled. I always power up the Packtalk Bold before turning on the bike’s ignition. Everything seems to work well except music from the iPhone occasionally “jitters”. It’s as if after a button push on the Nav VI, playback gets behind and is trying to catch up. iPhone, Nav VI and Packtalk Bold all have the latest software. TFT is on 001_019_180.
  9. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My TFT is forgetting my Sena so I’ve just given up and connecting directly to the phone.
    side-burn likes this.
  10. Mr Magnum

Mr Magnum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That, exactly. I sincerely hope that BMW will fix this because what a PITA when it starts clicking/jittering !!!
    side-burn likes this.
  11. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    Well, sad news & I apparently spoke to soon. While my fully updated & reinstalled setup worked ok for a few days, it started acting up again during regular weekday commuting. Same problems as before - inconsistent/frequently dropping connections, playback issues like skips, speeding up/slowing down, etc. For whatever reason, the TFT just doesn't seem to work with my setup. For those who've lost track of/not seen my posts - this is with the latest TFT software version, a Nav VI, an iPhone 6 running OS 12.4.1 (that I fully reinstalled as part of this testing), and UClear Amp BT Headset running its current OS. I also followed the setup & turn-on sequence instructions on the video & in posts appearing in this thread.

After a couple more efforts at reprogramming the BT setup again and still seeing no improvement, I decided to try having no connection with the TFT and to use the Nav VI as the BT hub. For the first three rides that setup's been 100% stable, and I've been streaming music & making/taking phone calls through the Nav VI with ease and consistency. It's a vast improvement over the TFT and I don't miss the wonderwheel integration - especially since it never really worked anyway.

So I've decided that's enough trial and error for me - I bought my GS to ride it, not be a $25K, +500lb rolling iPhone controller. At this point I'd just rather move on and get back to enjoying the GS as a motorcycle. I don't doubt that there are phone/BT combinations that work better, as others have identified here, but I have no reason to upgrade my phone right now, I like the UClear Amp BT setup, and I've already spent the money to easily move my setup between two bikes and three helmets.

Good luck everyone!
    side-burn and SpEd like this.
  12. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently traded in my 2016 R1200 GS Adv for a 2019 R1250 GS Adv. Getting the "symphony" of TFT, Nav VI, iPhone and PackTalk Bold to all play from the same sheet of music is no small challenge. I love the TFT display with its WW integration and ability to control/play music/podcasts from my iPhone as well as take/place calls. That said, I was also able to do most of that with my Nav VI on my 2016 GSA. I've been able to get the TFT, iPhone, Nav VI and PackTalk Bold to all play well together most of the time, and when they are all on the same sheet of music, it's a really nice thing. However, when they start tripping all over each other, it becomes a nightmare of distraction and frustration. On top of that, I'm really missing the ability to hear the audio alerts from my Valentine 1. I thought I had a solution by adding a Sena SM10 to the mix paired as mobile phone 2 to my PackTalk Bold and deleting the bluetooth connection between the PB and Nav VI. I figured I could give up the GPS audio directions if I could get the V1 alerts. Unfortunately, the SM10 doesn't play nicely with the rest of the ensemble. It wants to be either fully in charge (delivering V1 alerts, but not allowing any audio from the TFT/iPhone) or it's an observer (no V1 audio, but music/podcasts from the TFT/iPhone). I'm rapidly approaching the position of @NoiZboy where I just step back, let the Nav VI serve as the bluetooth hub, enjoy the TFT display for all its clarity/data and just focus on enjoying the ride.
  13. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Without the TFT you can enable phone calls as well on the GPS without interference between the two, which was my experience. I've no idea why you need TFT with the GPS. It should work, yes, but you're not missing anything IMHO. And, since I can pair my PackTalk to the phone, I have full Siri control.
    scottydawg and NoiZboy like this.
  14. BlackPaw80

BlackPaw80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to update this after a few weeks of riding.

Definitely still have some problems occasionally no matter what order I turn stuff on (music skipping, clicking, etc).

99% of the time if I pull over and shut off the bike and headset it'll reset and work fine.

Stupid bluetooth issues aside....damn this bike is a sweet ride.

15. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Mine lost connection with my Packtalk this past Tuesday. I deleted everything, left it overnight, repaired everything (only took a few minutes). Went for a ride today and it was golden!

I love using the wonder wheel for phone calls, media, etc..

And yeah, the bike is absolutely awesome!
  16. DeepSeaOne

DeepSeaOne Carnivore

Oddometer:
    For those interested...
    I had problems with the Connect app not recording rides properly and some other gremlins. I'm now confident that it's fixed. I went into my phone and turned off data & power/battery saver features, and prevented both the app and bluetooth from sleeping, data limiting, or battery/power saving and everything works normally now. You have to find your system apps to manipulate bluetooth settings.
  17. ClosetCaseNerd

ClosetCaseNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading through 16 desperate pages of people trouble shooting a "Feature" on their 20k motorcycle, I've come to this conclusion. If BMW follows this thread at all - To the programmers, engineers, software designers, and those who made the marvel of integration come to fruition on my 2018 R1200GS Rallye, sincerely I can't say this enough:

Fuck you for the aggravation.

I hope you feel the rage of a thousand suns as I sweat my ass off in my helmet, gloves, riding jacket, in the AZ heat, trying desperately to get the bike to recognize my phone OR my packtalk as my friends all glance at each other, sweat running down their faces. What a souring experience on an otherwise excellent motorcycle. If you never put the feature there, I'd probably of love the bike MORE. But instead as I say "fuck it" and nod "lets go" to my buddies I ride to the next stop, in silence, just me and my anger pontificating how thrilled I am that the Allies used flamethrowers in the european theater. But - In you're wisdom, you did release an update so that I can't even troubleshoot the fucked BT system while in motion on the highway. So it is assured I can't unfuck it until the next fuel stop. THANKS BMW!

Too much? Nah. You got $20+k of my money BMW and couldn't do what KIA, Hyundai, and $14 dollar amazon headphones can. Connect reliably via bluetooth.
    side-burn and GSbyname like this.
  18. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dealers won't acknowledge that there's actually a problem.
    They won't allow customers to officially lodge a fault report or warranty claim.
    I've tried twice to lodge a fault, to no avail.
    All because they (the dealers) know that they have zero chance of getting BMW Motorrad to do anything about it.
    Time for a class action?
    Product not fit for purpose, as advertised/specified.
  19. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everything seems to pair up fine, but using it is difficult. The sounds gets choppy, and with the Mesh Intercom on on a Sena 30K, the whole setup becomes unusable on a group ride. I deleted all the pairings and went back to the simple phone pairing to the Sena, and left it at that. This is BS, but I do not see any viable way forward at present.
  20. Colin S

Colin S n00b

Oddometer:
    Just to update, the problem is still ongoing although I've established that the reset is not a daily occurrence but seemingly random and once or twice a week. It appears to occur when the bike is started and yesterday it reset in the morning before my commute, was fine for the ride home but reset again when I started the bike to run it into the garage.

I've not heard back from the dealer yet and I've also been in touch with someone at a bmw.de email address whom I contacted via the Connected Ride app. They have been very active in responding to emails but have yet to come up with a solution.