BMW GS/GSA TFT Megathread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Matrixmatt, Aug 21, 2018.

1. rostov

rostov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to contact BMW/Motorrad on North America - after that things go much smoother with local dealers... ;)
  2. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well for the first time today the bluetooth on the bike froze during startup. The phone connected and then it stopped, helmet option and below were all greyed out and unselectable.

Also during the glitch, the bluetooth connection icon on the TFT flashed for the entire ride, normally it only flashes for a minute when the bike is first turned on.

v19-180
    2019 GSA
  3. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    I have not been using the TFT connections although I was one of the first in the forums/FB with this thingy.
    I have a suspicion.
    BMW wants us to crash and burn while we are frustrated with connected/disconnected music and TFT fucntions and devices. That way, they can sell more bikes?

Just ride. Forget about these modern BS devices. (...and I work in the IT industry)....
    LOL
  4. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I paid good money for those modern BS devices and I want them to work. If not, I would have saved a shit ton of money and bought a bare bones cafe racer or something. All that modern shit is the exact reason I chose a 1250gsa over the competition. There are plenty of mediocre bikes out there without the electronics of the gs/gsa. All that crap, is why I chose the 1250 and not the competition.
    rider1150gsadv, WyldCFH and Covert like this.
  5. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 3k mile trip with my Shifty GS, Sena 10r headset and Iphone XR. Had a bunch of occasions when the headset would not pair and a few when the phone would not pair. Most of the time pulling over and turning off the bike for a few minutes fixed things. But that's a major pain in the ass.

On the way home I was trying to make time and get miles in before it was dark. Wife was figuring out where I was staying. I was concentrating on looking for critters on the side of the road. TFT said everything was connected properly but I couldn't hear my wife on the phone and she couldn't hear me. Pulled over a couple times and shut off the bike and restarted the Sena and the phone but it didn't fix the issue. Had to communicate by text which isn't the safest when you rolling 75 mph in back country Wyoming. Next morning everything was working properly.

This is typical BMW. The software on their cars has always sucked. It's been two years since the TFT has been in production and it's still buggy.

At least the Bluetooth sounds great when it works. The Bluetooth on the RTs and K1600s sounds terrible. That's been going on for ten years now. BMW don't give a shit.
    ClosetCaseNerd and deadflagblues like this.
  6. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my trip I also had trip 2 reset when I reset trip 1. This happen three times out of probably 25 resets. Trip two is the automatic trip meter. Has anyone had trip 2 reset when you only reset trip 1?
  7. swiss-happy

swiss-happy Happy Joe

Oddometer:
    Got mine TFT updated to 180.
    Tire pressure back to 1 decimal. Looks great actually.
    mikegc likes this.
  8. blackfriar

blackfriar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is disappointing to read about the frustration in this thread. I do not use a headset and have not had a GPS on my bikes. Is there any advantage to buying the Nav VI for use on my 2020 GSA without a headset?
  9. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's great for navigation, get's real time traffic and weather via your phone, integrates with the wonderwheel for zooming/scrolling and changing pages. I can't imagine not having it, for me, it's part of what makes our bikes our bikes.
  10. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure! For me, first and foremost, I like planning my own routes and loading them into the Nav VI. Then, there's the bike integration. I do have a headset but I don't use the GPS's ability to "talk to me."

Mike
  11. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it displays readouts from many sensors on the bike including engine and air temps,continuous tire pressure monitoring,etc.

JR356
    scottydawg and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  12. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:

Yet another update here. After all of my efforts with the iPhone 6, as if on cue the phone itself started developing other problems (GPS stopped working, screen started failing). It's a 5+ year old phone, so I wasn't too disappointed, although I had been hoping to wait for a 5G iPhone. With my new phone problems, though, I ended up getting an iPhone 11 Pro over the weekend. It's a great phone and I'm very happy with it so far - especially the 3-lense camera.

Since I had a new phone, I went ahead and tried running it through the TFT. And - miracle of miracles - for three days now it's been very solid! Way more reliable than the TFT/Nav VI/UClear combo ever was with an iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 ran BT 4.0. The iPhone 11 is on BT 5.0, so maybe that's the difference, but of course also the CPU in the iPhone 11 is WAY faster than an iPhone 6. Whatever the reason, the TFT setup's been more than usable and downright reliable for three days - which is more than I can say for the TFT setup's performance with the iPhone 6 at any time. I'm going to keep running it and will report back again, but in the meantime wanted to say a bit of hope has been restored.

The rest of my setup is detailed in earlier posts if you're interested.
  13. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m trying to figure out how to add my nav 6 or something close to it on my HD I like it so much! Arguments for use your phone instead don’t hold up. I hate it. Plus twice now my phone shut down from overheating.
  14. krussell

Oddometer:
    You can get a powered mount for the HD to take the Nav-VI. No wonder wheel, but everything else. I run my Nav6 on my KTM all the time.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  15. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Seriously? Got a link? I've seen the car kit, but no motorcycle kit except the Zumo series.
  16. krussell

Oddometer:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/51125

The Zumo660 powered cradle used to be the one to get, but Garmin stopped making them. This aviation mount *seems* to be a current product. I bought one this summer, and Garmin still shows them, but gps city shows out of stock.

The cable has all sort of stuff you don't need just for power so I just cut it off found power / ground, and connected that up to the KTM factory provided power in the headlight bucket.

IMG_20190727_150558.jpg IMG_20190727_150636.jpg
    side-burn likes this.
  17. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use my Nav VI on my Honda CRF250...
    screenshot735.jpg
    @side-burn, I got one of these Garmin mounts (Mount needs a minor mod. There is a locating rib at the 6 o'clock position that I just Xacto knifed away, then the Nav will snap in place),
    https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/a...iation-gps/garmin-aera-660-bare-wire-kit.html
    a couple of 1" Ram balls and wired just the 2 power wires from the cradle to the aux power connector Honda provided...there's a bunch of other wires in the harness that I just ignored as I did not need data.
    side-burn likes this.
  18. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought 2 as they were becoming unavailable and getting scarce. They were quite expensive. I have only used one so if someone needs one I may be able to help them out.
  19. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I ordered one from Garmin directly.
  20. deep6blue

deep6blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had some issues with the Sena 20s connecting to the TFT. Found it was the cheap LED lights I’m using. So now the lights stay off until after the Sena has connected.