Bmw gs r1150

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ralt41, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ralt41

ralt41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed pump but over flow is emptying tank
  2. ralt41

ralt41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a new gas pump in my gs 1150 adv.all well but when i put the gas tank in his position the overflow empty my tank.bike starts & runs well but gas is overflowing from the small tubes on the side.&when bike is on side stand it is overflowing from cap?? Must be too much pressure in tank which pushes gas out = means air doesn’t get in the tank when pump is working.i did change the pump 2 years ago & ther was no problem? Thx
  3. zaxrex

zaxrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you lay the tank on its side when you had it off the bike?
  4. ralt41

ralt41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes
  5. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    Either one the small hoses is off inside the tank, or one has split. Drain the tank and remove the plate. Cheers
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    There are two "overflow" tubes that go from the fuel tank plate to the ground. One (1) is the actual overflow tube, the other (2) handles fuel spills and water from around the fuel tank cap. If one of these lines is spilling fuel on the ground, and you are also getting fuel coming out the fuel cap, then clearly it's the (2) line that has failed. You simply need to replace it. Though you should replace both as long as you are at it. Be sure to purchase rubber fuel line certified immersible. Regular fuel lines, even fuel injection hoses, will fail when immersed 24/7 in fuel. You need the immersible stuff.

And in your country, do they really call the bike a "GS R1150 ADV"? Because the rest of the world calls this bike the "R1150GS ADV".
  7. ralt41

ralt41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are correct.r1150gs adv.thank you for the advise,it can be that simple.
  8. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    You handed out excellent technical advice but i'd reckon the language lesson was a touch superfluous, i'd say most here knew which bike the OP was referring to.:*sip*
    PaulBarton likes this.
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I think of it as a public service for people who are doing searches in the future. With the words "R1150GS" actually used in the thread, it makes the thread searchable. It also helps the OP who might want to search the forum at a later time for some other problem. He'll get a lot more hits if he searches for R1150GS or R1150GSA than GS<space>1150<space>ADV. :-)

This is a useful tip for the entire BIKES subforum, which is to say that if you use the standard model name for your bike somewhere in the post then it becomes searchable for everybody.

Of course, I'm talking about using the AdvRider internal search engine which treats search terms pretty much literally. If you use Google to search the site using the site:advrider.com modifier, Google has some kind of voodoo AI that can often figger out what you're looking for even if you don't get the search terms right.

So, anyway, that's my reasoning. Not trying to brow beat the OP -- trying to help him out especially since with fewer than 20 posts it's quite possible he doesn't have a ton of experience in the ins and outs of finding stuff on this forum.

:webers
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll pull my head in!:lol3:photog