BMW GS Trophy in Tunisia

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody-

Not sure if I should have put this in Europe, Africa, or where, but this seems like a likely enough place to look for it.

I'm going to use this space to write about the experience- let you guys know whats going on over there. Will probably make a similar one over at Xplor and cross pollinate posts, since the audiences seem to be different. Hopefully Jim Stoddard and Brad Hendry (my USA teammates) will chime in when they have a chance, and hopefully we'll get some internet access out in the wilderness to let you all know how its going.
    The whole gig is kind of a black box for us- we know almost nothing of what to expect, other than we're going to be expected to ride hard. They say it will not be a speed race, but lengthy and challenging GS ride with specials thrown in along the way. In my imagination I see us having a start line somewhere, and a finish line a hundred miles away, and somewhere in the middle is a river with no bridge. First one to the finish wins. :D

Good fantasy, eh?

We're being issued tents and sleeping bags and we'll be camping most of the time although we're presuming there will be a bivouac type compound to stay at, where we'll get food, etc.
    We're all planning on travelling really light- taking only about 7 pairs of underwear and living out of our Rallye suits :lol3

Anyway we have very little idea what to expect, but a lot of determination and we're all terrifically psyched. Leaving in 3 sleeps as of this writing.

We'll arrive in Milan on Tuesday, and greet each other, the other teams- of which there are 4; (Spain, Germany, Italy and Japan- each of which has three members) and the bikes, all of which are identically prepped F800GS's with lots of Touratech farkles and Karoo tires.

The next day we transit to Genoa and get on a ferry, which we presume will travel overnight across the Mediterranean, and arrive in Tunis on Thursday AM, from which point we will begin immediately.
    They say for us to expect at least one special test per day, and I think we are going to cover somewhere between 2000-2500 miles in 9 or 10 days.

I think we've got a team strong enough to meet almost anything. Brad and Jim are both exceptional riders. I am incredibly proud to ride with them, and to have this chance in life! I plan on busting my ass to make all the folks who missed their chance at this years event proud of us, also. Hopefully with our intel provided this year, next years team will more know what to expect and plan for. I have a feeling they will be stepping up the challenge next year, after they see how this one goes.

OK.

Lets RoLL!

[​IMG]
  2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...wow, that is so kool...I think I pee'd a little bit. :ricky
  3. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Airhead Old'sCoolers are all rootin' and tootin' for ya........ and you know we can toot! :lol3

Ride hard, have a blast, push your limits.........we'll be with you.

:ricky
  5. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great time. Don't break yourselves. ;~)

:lift

~andrew
  6. elmoreman

elmoreman takin' a break, boss

Oddometer:
    eye of the tiger, Stagey.

[​IMG]

hope you can keep the sand outta yo' crack.
  7. Shadetree

Shadetree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Jason! I know you're pumped! Dang, I'm pumped for you and I'm staying home! I know you will do well. You are in great company and so are Jim and Brad. Now go and make it all happen! Just keep us posted...

Bill Dragoo
    Norman, Oklahoma
  8. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Show us pictures of the rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Before!......
    then After!!!!!!!........:wink:
  9. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Dudes?
    ...Bringin' a laptop?:jump

(The three GS owners selected to represent the United States in the 2008 International GS Trophy Competition will be required to report on their experiences on www.xplor.com. Therefore, writing, as well as riding, ability will be a criterion used to choose the GS Trophy competitors. May the best writer win....)
  10. 2upadv

2upadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pictures are definately going to happen, I purchased a new camera that is crush proof, sandproof and waterproof, spare batteries and a 4gig memory card just for this ride.
    We have heard that we will have internet access every night so we are presuming laptops will be available for use since they were not on our recomended packing list.
    Something Jason did not mention is that each team is a team of 6, 3 Amatuer riders and 3 journalists with riding experiance. We were told the 3 jounalists will be Jimmy Lewis, Ryan Dudek, and Jon Beck as part of team USA

Stay Tuned:ear
  11. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Rock n' Roll dudes, keep your eye on the prize! :freaky

You're only down and out when they cover the casket... :lol3

Have fun - really, remember to have FUN! :nod
  12. baldwithglasses

baldwithglasses Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer:
    Good luck, Sir!
  13. smithy1

smithy1 been here a while

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. apeirce

apeirce Two ears, one mouth.

Oddometer:
    Good luck Jason.

We're all rooting for you guys, but you'll have fun no matter what.
  15. biker2hiker

biker2hiker 4dirt

Oddometer:
    Jason,
    Thanks for the link. You'll be awesome on this journey. I can only imagine the anxiety levels increasing as the hours pass. Stay focused and the rest will follow. It will all be over before you know it and you'll look back and think ....... " Let's do it again !!!"

We'll see you @ the house before you go.

Ride On !!

J&J
  16. Miguelrallymoto

Miguelrallymoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good luck !!!!!
  17. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Heal fast, Miguel!

One party day, (today) one more work day, (tomorrow) one travel day (Monday).

Brad is racing a Triumph superbike in Sunday, I think.. he's supposed to clinch 3 separate championships before he leaves. Good luck, Brad! Stay safe, you' re our ringer :lol3

Anticipation mounts, and I cant wait to tell you guys about it :deal
  18. ADK

ADK hoof arted

Oddometer:
    Good luck and have fun,Jason. :thumb :thumb
  19. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Awesome, guys! I didn't know anyone from the ADV had been selected! :bow

If you guys want the RallyRAIDio call in number, let me know. If you've got high speed net access, you can even bypass any phone charges.
  20. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    I saw some footage of Nick Plumb, Si Pavey and co manhandling GS's over walls and stuff at the recent Touratech event in Wales. It was mentioned briefly that this was part of planning for a 'GS challenge/trophy' they had in the pipeline.
    Except some heavy lifting! maybe......

chris