BMW heated vest

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by gsser, Dec 10, 2002.

1. gsser

gsser n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

With temperatures below 0 Celsius in Belgium I'm freezing my butt of my GS at the moment.
    I'm looking to buy a new vest and pantalon but those BMW-prices are just toooo much so that I'm wondering if any of you have experience with their heated vest without sleeves??
    If that is possitive maybe keep the old suit and add the heated vest underneath.
  2. GSLarry

GSLarry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the BMW heated vest, but don't recommend it. There are 2 settings: Freeze or Fry. After I added the optional rheostat controller, the heat output is perfect. The reason I don't recommend it is that when the torso is comfortable, my arms get cold. So I add another layer (sweatshirt) or two to keep the arms warm. Then I don't need the vest. The point? Get a heated garment that includes sleeves. Some let you add gloves, etc. later.
    GSLarry
    P.S. The real reason these things are sold is so us older "big" guys can avoid adding even more bulk under the cold weather gear.
  3. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Beemer heated vest is made by WIDDER and they have their own line with more options, such as arm chaps, leg chaps and gloves etc...

Also check out GERBING heated jacket liner (also lots of upgrades available like gloves and pants) and the KANETSU at rider warehouse - use the ADVrider search for these products or go out on the web. I think the Brits have a brand of heated clothes as well as the Italianos too.

I use a Gerbing and love it. At 0 Celsius, I get by fine with several layers of pants under leather chaps or synthetic coveralls and just use the heated jacket for my arms and torso. Need to work on the hands as the heated grips and guards don't quite do the trick.
  4. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    the BMW heated vest is what I use and I love it. :thumb
  5. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    I like the Gerbing much better than the BMW/Widder. Better quality, better heat. I do use the Heat Troller rather than an off/on/high swithch. The vest works fine for me.
  6. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    The last time I went out with my BMW heated vest on, it was not so cold, so I did not use it. Unfortunately, while I was riding the end that plugs into the vest had come out and had been dragging on the road...it was toast...completely gone. So now I am thinking I will just solder a SAE plug on to the wiring in the vest and use my heat troller to control the vest... this will give me variable heat which the original on/off switch did not. I am pretty sure that will work...if anybody knows differently, please let me know. Thanks Sherpa.
  7. Deacon

Deacon Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer:
    Had them all, best I have come to believe is the gerbings, coat not vest with heat troller for variable control, gloves, pants, socks also available. Lifetime guarantee, possible pain being here in the states but worth it. I have been in sub freezing conditions warm and relaxed, much safer riding conditions and not bulky. Will accomodate larger frames as well.

Deacon

Gerbing Electric clothing
  8. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    i was 'loaned' a BMW vest by a dealer who thought i'd like it so much i'd have to have one of my own. what i found is that i like having electrics, but i didn't like the BMW/Widder vest.

i didn't like the bulk of the coiled cord running under or over my leg, didn't like the connection near my boot (especially after it came disconnected while riding and flopped down near the rear wheel!) or running across the tank from the additional socket on my GS Adv, i didn't care for the ON/OFF (Freeze/Fry) switch, and i wanted something that would cover my arms to deal with all the wind that the arms take on a GS.

like so many others here, what i wound up with was a Gerbings heated jacket with a Heatroller, which i like *much* better. i can dial in as much or as little heat as i like, and under my Savanna suit i've never had to turn it up all the way.

it may not be an issue for you, but a bonus for me was that i could have it made in a non-standard size to suit my high 'Ape Index'.

true, they're not cheap, but the pain of what you pay for it initially is quickly forgotten when you're tooling along warm and happy some frosty day!

cheers!
    e

9. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Gerbing more than you love the BMW vest:rofl - see you on the way to DG...
  10. idguinness

idguinness Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had the BMW vest for four years. It's stood up to a lot of abuse, and it is still working great.

Last January, I bought a gerbring jacket, and it is pretty sweet having your arms warm, and you don't have to layer as much.

I now keep both in my weather riding gear saddle bag (no car, so need to be prepared swap this bag from my RT to GS)

I use the vest still more than I use the Gerbring jacket. I find it comfortable and non bulky.

-glen
  11. 2Laud 2Bro

2Laud 2Bro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gerbing jacket liner has a neck collar and long sleeves. Gloves plug into arms by the cuff. Pants plug into jacket at waist and socks plug into lower leg plugs.

I ride down to 20 degrees Farenheit comfortably, lower temps are possible but not really that much fun. The real advantage with Gerbings is that different ride conditions require different levels of warmth. 80 mph with a crosswind is quite different than a 30 mph dirt backroad with wind protection. Get the controller as when slowed down you'll get too hot and saves the battery at lower rpm.