BMW HP2 seized by peruvian customs who claim property is lost.

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Microchoveur, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Microchoveur

Microchoveur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

So on 29th of November the Motorcycle of my traveling buddy model BMW HP2 got seized by the peruvian customs while crossing the Peruvian border.
    Quick summary of the story :
    • On September 5th, we enter the territory of Peru with a bunch of people. We all get a 90 days permit, he gets a 30 days. He did not notice he has a 30 days permit as he doesn't speak Spanish and assumes he gets the same as everyone else.
    • Later on the 25th of september, he goes back to the US for medical reasons. He comes back around mid-November, not knowing how fucked up he is.
    • The 29th of November, he tries to cross the Border to Chile. The customs lie to him the whole day to get him to park the bike in a enclosed area where he will not be able to escape.

NOW, THE PERUVIAN LAW SAYS THAT AFTER 30 DAYS OF PASSING THE DATE OF YOUR PERMIT YOU CAN PAY A FINE BUT AFTER THAT YOU LOSE PROPERTY OF YOUR VEHICLE.
    http://www.sunat.gob.pe/customsinformation/temporarycustodycar/index.html

But... We're not going to leave a 15,000$ bike without fighting for it especially since he sold everything he had to buy it and go moto adventuring. He makes money with phono and the Peruvian custom just ruined his life right now... It makes me so sad because he was doing everything legal : real papers, SOAT payed etc.... While I've had friends traveling without even real ownership and having everything photoshopped. It seems like it's better to fake everything in these countries.

Anyway, we are really desperate and fighting for it since already 4 days at the border. This is a terrible situation as he has all his motorcycle adventure gear here and is loosing the property of his main source of income and what made his life what it was.

We will be meeting with the manager of the border today and desperately but very discretely try to suggest a bride as we do not want to end up in a peruvian jail but...

If anyone has any suggestion to get out of this horrible situation, please tell us.

Best regards

2. andrewhpty

andrewhpty n00b

Oddometer:
    Its going to cost you... its as simple as that
  3. Microchoveur

Microchoveur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If only... I mean for now all we heard is that it was impossible to get it back and that he lost property. He'll be more than happy to pay 3000 dollars of bribe but well... We're going there now, we have the name of the chief and are planning to meet him.

We'll discretely try to suggest that we wanna pay the fine in cash and see how he reacts. Anyway is he wants money he'll make us know right ?
  4. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will get your bike back!! I recommend to relax, the more excited you get the more money. Let them control the conversation and if they start taking money, smile, now you will know how much, and negotiate. Every border is different, the more remote the better.
    knight and Motorius like this.
  5. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start the bidding low ,try offering an Inca cola ,some ice cream and a new soccer ball for their kid
    Secret Agent Man and Cal like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a valuable lesson this has been to check your own paper work. You do not need to read Spanish to see the difference between 90 and 30 the numbers are the same in English.
    Klinc207 and LordMorgan like this.
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google Krishna Urs. Yes, that’s a name. He’s the US Ambassador to Peru. There the position is phrased “Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary”. Google his photo and show it to the bike’s captors and mention the US Ambassador in Lima title while making the phone call hand gesture.

The ambassador/consulate is actually there in part to support citizens in country, and I’ll leave it up to you if you actually want to contact them, but my bet is you’ll change the game by letting the local powers know you’ll up the ante if you’re pushed.

And let them know you’re traveling journalists.
    LordMorgan, knight and ApexJeff like this.
  8. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But is he US citizen?
  9. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    This is good advise.
    Instead treating Peruvian custom as criminals, why don't you present your case politely.
    Champe and Cal like this.
  10. Microchoveur

Microchoveur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,

I am sorry if I did not give that much updates. I was riding in the northern chilean desert and rushing to Santiago as I lost so much time trying to help my friend.

So... The bike is lost. There is nothing that can be done on the aduana side.

Not much to add... Everyone says the law is the law.
  11. b4thenite

Oddometer:
    Can we have names of officials involved?
  12. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone should try to buy it back when it comes up for auction. For the original owner, it would have "dual citizenship", being allowed to stay in that country indefinitely, and be saleable there. If the original owner is not there, then maybe an inmate that lives there could bid for him.

We know an HP2 is a very special bike. But down there it is just an odd duck. I think it will go cheap.