BMW K100GSA Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Wiz (J.C), Sep 2, 2021.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get the chance I would be interested to see how much the engine weighs - the 1200 engine. I would assume the K100 engine would be lighter but not by much.
  2. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been a K rider for many years. I know a lot of other K riders. I know of no one that had a failure like that. So to me something else is suspect.
    3legs likes this.
  3. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    Does this new engine run with "throttle by wire"? (your mention above of E.T.A.)
    I assume you will continue to use the MS3? If you do, and it has T.B.W. there have been a few guys to integrate the two together successfully (as MS doesn't do that on its own).
    You may already have this solved, & none of this might apply, if it does however and if you wish I can link up some information.

Edit added: PS - sorry about the camshaft and other symptoms. Perhaps you can post a couple of photos of the fracture face(s), interested if there are "beach marks", perhaps other clues for a metal failure like that.
  4. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, not TBW. Just a stepper motor that can advance the throttle some.
    [​IMG]

The throttle itself is still cable operated.

And I don't see anything here except what looks like it just shattered abruptly.
    0921211049.jpg

Lucky me my engine got sent to Illinois for some reason, so I have to wait even longer now.

Wiz
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  5. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    That does look like a pretty random fracture. Do you know if the engine has had any work done to it by previous owners? Wonder if the shaft could have been dropped?
    Perhaps Illinois is a transfer depot for "soon to be awesome" engine shipments?
  6. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, I have no idea what the previous life of this engine looked like. I didn't drop it though.

And an update on the engine. It arrived in IL today. And departed for OHIO. I'm no genius but my faint memory of highschool geography tells me that's not how you get to California.

An Increasingly Perturbed Wiz
  7. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New goodies in the mail today, so I took the opportunity to make a small video update on the project, and some changes I have made going to this new engine.
    sruss67 and Jim K in PA like this.
  8. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Subscribed and full of deep intrigue here. I spent seven long years building my K75gsa as a potential RTW bike so consequently left all the efi/ecu alone for ease of replacing should fault occur but I admire your commitment here ... ( I've perused the BSK website and often thought what a K100gsa would have turned out like..!!) . I did a similar rear wheel mod as you are doing and extended the wheelbase by 50mm.
    I'll be watching your progress for sure, I love reading the depth of technical knowledge going on here, keep it rolling and keep posting.....
    sruss67 likes this.
  9. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the interest @flipflopdog , I did some sleuthing and have been reading through your K75 project thread.

In regards to the repairability, The way I see it, the custom EFI is not a down side for repairability. The thing is, I deeply understand the ecu, my wiring harness, and the sensors i'm using in it. And in that same vein, if I need to, with the help of my computer I can make all different kinds of sensors work, or edit the tune so the bike doesn't need a sensor, etc... I also get more info from my bike like an actual oil pressure reading, fuel pressure, intake air temp and pressure, basically everything I could ask for when diagnosing issue on my dash... So in my eyes, the chances of me being able to fix this bike with what I have at hand is greatly increased vs a stock bike, simply because I know it like the back of my hand at this point.

Cheers,

Wiz
  10. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Your correct and I recognise the fact that you really do get to know your build/bike after putting so much work and brain power into the finer detail.....
    sruss67 likes this.
  11. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    That is a nice way of putting it Wiz and I concur - having run MS on my 83 R100RT for well over 10 years and on many long trips far afield there has been nothing that brought the bike to a stand still. (with the exception of a couple of self inflicted instances where I didn't follow my own instructions). Virtually all components are super common to most auto repair stores and I carry a cross reference and part number list on the bike.
    Is your BSK crank assembly going to fit the new block? If not I'm sure you'll be up to the task of upfitting.
    By the way, one of the issues with these K engines is start up oil burning when the stock side stand is used. It leans the bike over so that cylinder oil migration ends up in the combustion chamber. Some bikes are more ridiculously afflicted with this, they will create a huge "insect discouraging" smoke screen every start, even if only shut off a short while. Perhaps your new engine isn't in that camp?
    Regardless, I've created an alternate side stand that deploys to the right side for that "tilt" to be the opposite way and actually better drain things. Let me know if you want to see anything on that.
    Good luck getting that engine and with the refit.
    sruss67 likes this.
  12. IJustWantMyZBack

IJustWantMyZBack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for seeing the right side stand
  13. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    The smoke on start ups only applied to early K100's. They fixed that problem with the later models.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  14. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    I don't wish to polute Wiz's thread and it would then appear this wouldn't be an issue on his new engine. If you want details on the method, PM me your email address and I'll send you some attachements of the "right side" deploy stand. Dead simple.
    Back to the 1200
  15. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. i have s/n 308 in the US . We get a little smoke on startup, but we also got the Euro cams and 96hp. ;)
  16. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It also just feels wrong to lean it to the right, Ill think I'm going to drop it every time!

Edit: First coat of basecoat got put on my tank today. There are some splatters which im not happy about. Hoping I can address that in some way.

And yes, I believe the k1200 crank sensor uses the same mounting cap thingy. If not I can rob the one off of my old crank. Speaking of the crank sensor, I have been devising a plan to potentially fit the whole system inside the stock cover. This would mean moving away from the bsk kit. The plan is to sacrifice one of the hall effects sensors from the stock k1200 crank sensor and have a trigger wheel laser cut out of sheet metal. Those hell effects sensors are pretty small and I can probably fit it behind the cover. I could keep the stock trigger wheel design if I could have a new cup manufactured for me that was cheap enough to be viable and had a 36-1 trigger setup cut into it. I would then remove one of the hall effects sensors from the tray. I foresee that being a difficult part to get made, but perhaps not, I am not a sheet metal expert.

[​IMG]
  17. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    sruss67 and 3legs like this.
  18. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Fitting a 36-1 wheel within the outline of the stock cover makes a pretty small wheel, but a few have done that. MS has another mode for sequential ignition and fuel, with a 12/1 set up. That is a small 12 tooth wheel on crank, and a 1 tooth wheel on cam. Building a boosted engine, I've choosen the fully "sequential" approach (depending on cam overlap and other factors, fuel burn back up the inlet tracks has been documented with wasted spark (basically igniting on the opposed stroke and not entirely helpful).
    Below is a photo of my crank wheel (yes it is a small atv sprocket off the shelf at a cheapo supply store named "Princes Auto" and about $7cdn - tested on my drill press "science lab :augie" and syncs at ultra low rpm's, etc. That will be VR sensor, fastened in from front. I don't have the cam pickup finished far enough to add photos, but it discretely mounts to the front cover, and VR registers with a ferous bolt added to the top cam gear, with another SS added @ 180 to balance. Again, in test I have rpm recognition way down below about 40rpm cranking. Both items reside/ hide discreetly, as does the turbo which is hidden in a "secret spot".
    Just another way to skin the cat (actually no animals harmed)
    Small Crank Tone Wheel .JPG
  19. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That is Gold! Using a sprocket like that!
  20. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since I am giving the paint a good long while to dry before I attempt any wet sanding, I decided to work on a potential replacement for the crank sensor.

Thing is, the BSK speedworks sensor works great, and is easy to install, however it sicks out really far and if I could just use something smaller, and have the cover still fit, that would be great. So in light if this I have made some models of potential trigger wheels that will fit in the standard location and use the standard hall effects sensors.

First, a 36-1 trigger wheel.

upload_2021-9-25_19-58-38.png

Secondly a 24-2

And lasty a 12-1

I am Hoping that the 24-2 will work, I initially made the 36-1 to check tooth sizing and it appears to be to small for the hall effects sensor to accurately detect base on my testing. I am going to try and get a quote for one of the 24-2 wheels to be made. If that wheel does not work, I am almost certain the 12-1 will, but if I can keep the extra resolution of the 24-2 I will.

Wiz
    nostep, Mr. Fixit and Hay Ewe like this.