BMW K100GSA Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Wiz (J.C), Sep 2, 2021.

1. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey @Arktasian what vr sensor are you using for that sprocket trigger setup? I have been looking for smaller ones, it's hard to tell though online. Depending on the number of basket trigger wheel things I get made it would be anywhere from 150-350$ and that's well, steep but if it's totally hidden under the cover maybe worth it.
  2. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    Hi Wiz,
    I'm using small VR sensors that I've repurposed from some Ford 1 ton unitized axle hubs that had ABS provision. I went through the process of searching for who makes them and got some info (towards a Rock Auto search or similar) but I'm experiencing some technical difficulties with files I save from a work computer that had "outlook" and I didn't notice have come up as MSG format. I will see if I can back that up a tad, but the below picture depicts the unit, nice little "O" ring to seal against any oil from cam gear cover, and wiring off at 90 to lay flat etc. I did have to machine a small adaptor to go between the stock crank nose bushing and the tone wheel I've chosen, it wasn't too complex. This will reside under the stock cover however.
    Edit added: All items except for the VR sensor will reside under stock cover, it will seat from the outside but the cable lays quite flat and can orientate upwards over engine case.
    IMG_1749.JPG
  3. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like its commonly used on fords and their subsidiaries like Lincoln and mercury in the year range 1998-2005. Found examples in f150's, Navigators, expeditions ect.
  4. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, New Update.

Engine is here. Speed parts are on the way. As soon as my parts are here this things going together ASAP.

flipflopdog and Arktasian like this.
  5. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad the engine arrived. :thumb

I have to wonder how thick the OEM head gasket was for you to go from 11.5 -> 12.5:1?
  6. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The stock head gasket thickness for k100's and k1200's is .070". Gasket I am having made will be .043". I tested for valve-piston contact at .039" and there was none. So when I get this new headgasket i will check piston to valve clearance with clay and go from there.
    Renaissanceman likes this.
  7. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    If you find a reasonable balance between timing/ power settings and det becomes an issue, try water/ meth injection.
    No one pays any attention to this outside of the realm of induction, but the benefits remain available. There are also ultra small components to allow high pressure atomization without stress on available real estate & project budget.
  8. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Great little visual update and nice to see some decent type connectors being used ..
  9. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A mock up of the new tank and front radiator cover. I'm liking the look of this much more. In addition, my custom rear rotor is installed on the back. HPS did a great job and made exactly what my drawing specified. Fits like a glove.
    20211011_163903.jpg
    nostep, flipflopdog and 3legs like this.
  10. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The head gasket finally came in. Thickness is .043". Static compression ratio is now 12.44:1. I clayed the engine, and there is room for the valves that I am happy with even with the race cams. I don't have the pinout of the tps sensor worked out yet, I blew my 5v fuse again. Apparently when I tested the pinout a few days ago, my memory failed me and I didn't replicate that, because I had it working. That said, I started it gave it a rev, seems to run well. Going to be a few days before I can work on the bike again unfortunately. But the project is back under way.

Wiz out
  11. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    You'll have no trouble sussing out the tps - but let me know if its different or challenging.
    I've started in working on my K75 project again - just a little bit of induction plumbing fabrication to "prime the process" so to speak. However, today was "lazy day" as it stopped raining and was sunny up here for some reason and I had to go riding the RT.
    Splendid fall weather, significant throttle roll on's.:ricky
    Franque and Jim K in PA like this.
  12. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got things worked out with the engine in terms of idle for now. Unfortunately had a malfunction of the wooden block under the center stand and the whole thing tipped over. Nothing broken except the coolant neck.... how? Anyway that is on order. Video of the new (very roudy sounding) engine.

OzCRU, sruss67, nostep and 3 others like this.
  13. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tps sensor was a bit strange, I had to play around with the wiring, but for the MS3 I ended up using pins 1 2 and 3 on the tps. not sure what order, as i didnt mark the wires, but those are the pins to start with to get a full reading on the throttle.
  14. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do love that sound. My K1100 is jealous, but with my bags I do not think I could do that.
  15. Wiz (J.C)

Wiz (J.C) Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some exhaust work today, feeling alot better about my tig welding so far.
    20211119_175752.jpg 20211119_175748.jpg
    Mr. Fixit, OzCRU, Arktasian and 4 others like this.