BMW low suspension, what specifically is different?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by munsterlander, Jun 4, 2021.

1. munsterlander

munsterlander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m not new to BMW bikes but have never had the factory lowered suspension.
    I’m considering a new S1000XR and wondering if I should go with factory low. After I add a couple inches with a Russell seat, it might be nice to have it a bit lower.
    I’ve heard some say the low suspension handles differently, others say handling and ride are same.
    Is it only ground clearance that is changed and every else the same?
    Same seat-to-leg room? Same suspension travel?
    Does BMW have document somewhere explains the differences?
    I know this is a GS forum, but I think much of the experienced BMW guys hang out here.
    Thanks for any knowledgeable info!
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Different suspension travel. Ground clearance drops. Shorter shocks, springs, center & side stand. Foot pegs and leg position remain the same.

Typical drop is no more than about an inch.
    RoundTrip likes this.
  3. munsterlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks! So handling may be different due changes in the shocks, springs, travel?
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can ride at 9/10s for long stretches and you're an extremely skilled rider, then you might be able to tell the difference some of the time. Most of us never would.

Short bikes were developed by the marketing dept. for, well, short riders. For most, the only functional difference is the ability to reach the ground.
    RoundTrip likes this.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    No - it's sort of 2 different bikes suspension-wise while other features are the same;
    No
    Not sure of one document explaining everything - you can find some info in the owner's manual which you can download directly from BMW and you can use the parts fiche diagrams to see what components are different btw std vs. low version...

There's also a thread in Road Warriors where you can ask all other questions related to that particular model: BMW S1000XR sports tourer. | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    munsterlander likes this.
  6. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Had a 15 GSA reg.. and now a 18 GSA low suspension ..NO Difference in Handling IMHO
    LAFS likes this.
  7. bobbyh

bobbyh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 4th beemer but this current one is a 1250 GS with lowered suspension. Since I've been on the same twisties with them all , I would say not much difference. You absolutely need to keep the balls of your feet on the pegs! On the lowered suspension , there's no room for error on tight twisty roads. I wouldn't be on a GS if they didn't offer a lowered version, just too short.
    LAFS likes this.
  8. munsterlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys.
    Turns out I went back to a GS, but one 7 years newer. I’m tall enough for either the regular of adventure suspension on these. Not that easy getting on the bike, but once on it, no problem!
  9. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I lowered an 1100 gs by installing shorter shocks.

The bike handled better in part because they were new (better) shocks but also due to the lower center of gravity.