1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW maintenance free self lube chain

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AUSSIEADV, Aug 31, 2020.

1. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just remember that when BMW released the 1200 bikes, they boasted that the final drive was lifetime maintenance free, no oil change, ever. :imaposer Of course the things were blowing apart with gay abandon.
    richo360 and Ron50 like this.
  2. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not hate, just a sense of scepticism.:*sip*
    Wodger63 likes this.
  3. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best bit was NO DRAIN PLUGS!
    DirtHornet and AUSSIEADV like this.
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    The modern good quality chains and sprockets last really well in my opinion.
    30K on an unbabied 1190R with still no need for changing and maybe 1/2 a turn on the adjusters is pretty good in my books. Replaced one at 25k for a big ride, really didn't need to, pissed money up the wall that day.

I remember my TLS1000 (purely road obviously) was a chain and sprockets with every front tyre, 10,000k and it would be stuffed. Constant adjusting and you knew if you hadn't lubed it. Wasn't buying cheap chains either.
  5. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've an oiler on my inazuma. 36000km on the stock chain. Maybe a mechanic adjusted it during a service?
  6. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    You would basically be forking out for a chain that the buyer of your bike would benefit from.

What alot of people arent aware of is the raised area in the centre of the sliders and rear guide which spins the rollers causing premature wear.
  7. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    The thing any BMW rider dreads is to be seen crouching next to your bike looking like you are fixing something and someone goes past and thinks you are riding a KTM.
    Boxa likes this.
  8. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    Not that there is anything wrong with that but they were enjoying themselves while blowing apart? Seems odd even for an inanimate object. To each their own I suppose.
  9. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Interesting topical points.

I've just gotten back from the Savannah Way riding my 2007 GSA.

I took a few detours off the beaten track riding from Lawn Hill NP to Doomadgee, including crossing a river around 25km south east of Doomadgee. Little did I know (my fault for not walking it first) that some of the locals had tossed a pair of sand ladders in the water, I lost the front wheel off the sand ladders and ended up stuck for a few hours until a few locals rocked up in a Landcruiser trooper and used a snatch strap to pull me out.

At Hell's Gate that night I was worried I may have gotten water in the final drive and decided to open the combined fill/drain plug to check for milky oil. Good/bad news - no milk, but quite a lot of pressure meant a small amount (2-3ml) of stinky oil flew out. Basically, BMW didnt bother venting the 1200 final drives until 2009 (to resolve a spate of blown seals on final drives)

Ok, I think nothing more of it, figuring I'll just change the final drive fluid when I get home. 3 days later I'm parked for the night, do my usual pre-ride checks the following morning and notice a puddle of final drive fluid sitting on my rear wheel rim and dribbling onto the tyre.

Hmm, not happy Jan.

Pull the rear end apart and realise the fluid is escaping from the pinion seal. :scratch Looks like I've blown a seal, but why?? (I assume pressure buildup, but why now, and never before)

So I do the only thing I can do in the backblocks of the outback, drain the existing fluid (putrid stinky stuff, no idea how long it had been in there) and refill with new and clear 75/90.

Given I have a leak, I figure I better hightail it home and check for further leaks and refill as necessary. So 1km check ok, 10 km check ok, 50km check ok, 100km check ok, 200km check ok, ....

...... and funnily enough 4,000km later and that bastard of a final drive has not leaked another drop. :hmmmmm

I'm happy not to have any further problems, but I'm all ears if anyone can explain it :ear, because it doesn't make any sense to me. :dunno
    BergDonk and a2zworks like this.
  10. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Maybe the pressure inside helps to seal the seal and you released the pressure but now it's built back up again.

A hot diff suddenly cooled down is going to lose internal pressure...

Awww...I dunno:lol3
    BygDaddee likes this.
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rarely lube my modern chain, just keep it clean.
    a2zworks and AUSSIEADV like this.
  12. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's this for a theory?

The hot final drive stuck in the river for some time sucks in water.

The distance to Hells Gate isn't far enough for the milky emulsification of the oil to occur so the water is sitting at the bottom of the final drive WHERE A DRAIN PLUG SHOULD BE when you look in the filler plug.

With a bit more distance and heat the oil and water mix builds up enough pressure to get past the seal.

New oil doesn't build up pressure so the problem is fixed.
  13. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree that would make sense except that
    i). The 2004-9 final drive doesn't have any venting, ergo, impossible for fluid to eneter or leave without pulling the drain/fill plug. Oh, and the final drive was out of the water for all but 2-3 minutes, it was the front end that was submerged.
    ii). When I did drain the fluid (by removing the upper shaft bolt and tipping the final drive 90°) there wasn't any emulsified fluid, just gear oil.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :-)
    Ron50 likes this.
  14. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark II

A few hours cooling in the water allows just a few drops of water to get past the seal - not enough to be noticeable as emulsification but enough to build up steam as the final drive heats up. The seal allowed oil to get past when you noticed the leak so it cannot be completely air/water tight.

With new oil the mixed in water is no longer there to build up steam pressure to cause further leaks.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    What Ron said. Dropping a hot drive into coolerwater causes a comparitively rapid cooling, resulting in an equally rapid contraction of the fluid and gas in the drive unit. This can actually suck fluid in past the seal if you are dead unlucky. You do say that this didn't occur though.
    Why it leaked out? Maybe a bit of crud from the crossing has worked it's way to the seal, and after the overnight leak it has worked/flushed it's way past the seal and out again? Just a guess.

Ascribing a strong emotional response to those who aren't actually responding that way - projection, a favourite tool of the troll.
  16. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Do they still have the buffalo at Hell’s Gate? the mozzies were really really bad in ‘93
  17. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    Same here, hasn’t “stretch” any in 13,000km without lubing only clean it.
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Ages ago I read a thing from Rob Twyerold (?) (from memory, coulda been someone else) regarding the servicing of 2 identical XR farm bikes. Both were fitted with new chain and sprockets at the same time and did pretty much identical service. One was lubed religiously and the other went untouched. Both chain sets and both sprocket sets were reported as wearing at the same rate until replacement.

I never lube mine. My bike stays clean (ish). I don't spend good money on aerosol packs either. (I did have a chain oiler in my possession but I didn't get to fit it before it burned. I believe they do indeed extend chain/sprocket life considerably.)

I get around 20k to a chain on an enduro used offroad, always have. After the initial stretch they don't move again for the life of the chain, then the next adjustment is the one that tells you to buy the replacements, quickly.:nod

Replacing the front sprocket periodically is a must. 5k MAXIMUM.
    a2zworks likes this.
  19. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Yeah again, makes sense except that the final drive was only in the water for a few minutes and that was a few hours after I ended up stuck.

Sequence of events was.
    Ride into river - final drive would have got wet, splashed for 15-20 secs. Half way across I ride onto sand ladder and front wheel rolls off into deeper water, rear wheel is still on sand ladder and final drive is sitting well clear of water for 2-3 hours whilst I await rescue.
    Finally, to get the bike out of the river we pushed the rear off the sand ladder too and it was only at this point the final drive was submerged whilst we attached snatch straps around the front forks to pull her out.

Overall I think you are right in that there must have been something awry to cause pressure build up. What I can't understand though is why I didn't have an oil leak the following day (ride from Hell's gate to Boroloola) but did 2 days later.

100% agree with the science God, and I'm really happy there hasn't been a recurrence.

I did do a fair bit of Google research but haven't found anyone else who had a leak that manifested itself in the way mine did. I guess it will forever remain an enigma. :-)

Didn't notice the buffalo. Mozzies weren't bad at all, it was warm so I slept out in the open under one of the barbecue shelters, didn't even bother putting my tent up. Do you know that there is now only 12km of gravel road between any capital city in Australia and Hell's Gate, should you choose the path of least resistance?
    a2zworks likes this.
  20. a2zworks

Oddometer:
    I also slept in the open and it was horrendous.
    Buffalo probably went into pies and sausages, it was fully grown but young.