1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW maintenance free self lube chain

Discussion in 'Australia' started by AUSSIEADV, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert, but I may have an answer. While your FD was immersed and went from hot to cold, a little weeny fish baby (fry) was sucked in past the seal. In the warm tropical environment within the rear drive, its growth rate experienced phenomenal acceleration. This caused a pressure build up due to the space the growing fishy was taking up and explains the 2-3ml of stinky oil flying out. Over the next few days the final drive temps have gotten too high and the fish, who has been swimming madly around inside the final drive avoiding all the moving parts finally reaches its thermal maximum and subsequently expires. Its body is immediately macerated and now starts to decompose within the drive fluid. The subsequent gases given off by this decomposition, mainly methane and sulphur dioxide, cause the
    seal to start leaking, otherwise your FD would end up looking like a dead cow in a paddock. You drain the rotten fish smelling and containing oil, ,replace with clean oil and the problem goes away. It would be easy enough to replicate this theory, next time you change your FD oil, shove a Fish Finger in as well and go for a trip. I'd try it myself but unfortunately I don't own a 1200. Hope that helps.
  2. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, reminds me of the old Goodie's sketch set in the renaissance period.

Bill Oddie had a fish finger hanging off the front of his tights because he couldn't find a proper codpiece.

You're right though, there is definitely something fishy about this problem. :lol3
    Cruz likes this.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Eye am righting this with woad wreck ignition soft wear. (Bill Oddie)
  4. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    I want some of what you are drinking, smoking or inducing. Sounds like real good shit man.
  5. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    Well I'm a massive fan of shaft drive bikes and have owned several over the years. My 25 year old 1100GS has 170,000 k's on the clock and no issues whatsoever with the shaft, diff etc.
    Rhonda the XLV 750 Honda is approaching 90,000 K's and it too has not given me any shaft drive issues in the 33 years I've had her.
    Of course chains these days are really good as compared to the crap I grew up with. They used to stretch like chewing gum, developed tight spots, occasionally snap and ate sprockets without mercy.
    Also chain lubes are light years ahead from the rubbish they used to sell. Remember the blurb on the container, "Guaranteed not to fling off, contains graphite". Yeah right...........
    Will be interesting to see how these new chains from BMW hold up and how the sprockets fair too.
  6. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Non BM owners seem to enjoy talking about final drive failures.

I put over 240,000kms on a 75/6 shaft drive, no issues.
    I put over 90,000kms on a GS80 Pari Daker shaft drive, no issues.
    I put over 90,000kns on a R1150R shaft drive, no issues.

I also put over 50,000kms on a Harley Lowrider BELT drive, no issues.
    A lot of that was dirt. Mungerannie, Gunbarrel, etc.
    I was impressed with the belt, no snatching changing gears, no oiling.

Old chains were shit, modern chains are great.
    Giddy Goanna and BygDaddee like this.
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    New chains aren't as noisy either! ;)
    a2zworks likes this.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I noticed that yesterday with the new WR chain, I adjusted the old one a couple of times over a couple of days knowing it was fairly worn but no matter what I did it was noisy, the new chain is much quieter
  9. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you silicone the chain guide?? Yet??

I noticed that yesterday with the new WR chain, I adjusted the old one a couple of times over a couple of days knowing it was fairly worn but no matter what I did it was noisy, the new chain is much quieter[/QUOTE]
  10. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

no, I had a good look at it to make sure all was good, and a 14tooth went on as well, I might get around to it one day :D
  11. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Indos are working on another type of maintenance free drive system for your wee Ninja.

12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2020-09-06-19-25-51-91.jpg