BMW Nav V or VI

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Slippy Chips, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding on the interstate today and my Nav VI just fell out about 40 miles from home. I looked for it for about 30 minutes to no avail. I was doing 80+ and there was a truck behind me I was trying to get out of the way of.

this was actually a new, replacement unit I got because my last unit started “ghosting” after only purchasing the bike about a month ago.

with all the problems with the Nav VI is it better to just go down to the Nav V or even IV (assuming it fits the same mount)?
  2. Tim Seawel

Tim Seawel n00b

Oddometer:
    I have both a 5 and a 6 and have had to send the 6 back once for a new 6. The 5 is the more reliable of the 2.
  3. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a VII coming out anytime soon? Maybe based off the XT?
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Navigator has reached the end of the line. BMW is moving to the TFT display with navigation provided by a linked smartphone. The app is provided by TomTom rather than Garmin.
    scfrank likes this.
  5. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the 6, and currently have the 5. They both are not very good, but the 5 seems like an antique compared to the 6.
  6. ExOze

ExOze Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pardon the possible hijack...I have the BMW GPS cradle (w/out the NAV GPS) and was wondering if any Garmin units will just drop-in? And if so, are they any better than the BMW Nav V or VI?
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No. Other Garmin will not fit. The Nav is based on the Zumo 660.

Today we joined with BMW to announce the next generation BMW Motorrad Navigator, the Navigator IV. This portable GPS device is based on Garmin's zumo 660, but it has customized features specific to the BMW such as a customized four-button mount, unique Bluetooth capabilities and preloaded BMW dealers.Jul 3, 2009

Notice that is from 2009. The current Zumo from Garmin for Motorcycles is the XT. It will not fit the bmw mount.

The XT is priced at $499 and comes with a mount. The bmw wonder wheel will not work with it. It also doesn’t have all the bike data the Nav has.

There are lots of options including using a phone. Do some google searches.

The BMW Nav is the most expensive and the only real benefit is the wonder wheel controller.
  8. ExOze

ExOze Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer: