BMW NAVIGATOR V or VI, or SOMETHING ELSE

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Barab42, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Barab42

Barab42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The R1250GS models come with GPS Preparation, which includes the gps mounting hoop and cradle. I’ve been using a phone so far but am thinking about getting a Navigator V or the more expensive VI. This forum describes quite a few user complaints about the VI, many of which involve syncing with the TFT and a headset. But some describe weird Navigator behaviors.

On this and other forums, I’ve seen a few non-Navigator, less expensive units for sale; but it would be nice to have a unit more integrated with the bike functionally and esthetically. So I’m looking for a consensus of pros and cons on which way to go.
  2. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. FreeTimeinTX

FreeTimeinTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something else. I have the NAV VI and truth be told, its not impressive. It's not the worst either, and I would worry about my phone overheating up on the dash just as much. I'm considering something simpler like Beeline Moto. I don't really need all the rest of the stats. That's what my idiot lights are for.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can get a feel for the additional features between the NAV5 and NAV6 in my review articles you'll find by following the link in my sig. If you've been using your phone, I believe you will find it more to your liking than either of the BMW Nav units. Get yourself a WunderLINQ when they are back in stock and you will have the best of ALL device options.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are each on our 3rd NAV VI units and I hope that the next version (NAV VII?) is going to be better but who knows..
    Perhaps the Wunderlinq may be the way to go..:dunno
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't have any view of BWM/Garmin product plans, but, I don't think you're going to see another Navigator-like device.

Here's my thinking, BMW owns the on-bike hardware (multi-controller/LINbus/Onboard-Computer-Instrument Cluster) and that computer supports Bluetooth (could also support WiFi). So, all BMW really needs to do is develop their own WunderLINQ/Navigation App (they're partial owners of HERE), enhance the onboard-computer software a bit and... Well, there you have it, a future all-BMW solution: smartphone App's to bike to helmet (BMW has a Head-up Display Helmet in the works).
  7. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    I love my Navi VI on my GSA 16. Had a Navi V before, sold it for a good price because my friend was selling a VI. I don't see a big difference between them.
    I like the scroll and all the features it offers. I set my favourite info on the display and check the data regularly. Range, speed, temp., time to destination, km to destination, tyre pressure, everything available when I need it. Not to mention the easy way to magnify or diminish the view just by the turn of the scroll. No need to take the hand off the handlebar to do it. Useful especially when riding standing. I owned some other devices in the past and think BMW made it really good and simple to use with the scroll.