BMW Navigator VI (GARMIN) Issue *HELP*

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by EnduroAmerica, Jun 29, 2017.

1. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would just take it back as defective, it is covered under the warranty. I know I replaced my first Nav a month or so in as it would not charge or be powered by the bike, or take a charge when plugged into the wall. Should not be this many headaches.

Alternately, if memory serves me there were two options in the mass storage menu, did you try both? I seem to remember that the one they recommended I try did not work but the other one did.
  2. vRSG60

vRSG60 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, can't help but I have the same problem with my Nav V.

I've tried countless cables, USB ports time & again. Occasionally it will connect, then it's a mad rush to get everything done while the connection lasts. Mostly all I get is the connection screen on the Nav V but nothing showing on my PC,
  3. imintman

imintman FL_atlander

Oddometer:
    Not what the OP was asking but I thought I would throw this in the mix. I was having a similar issue and found this old thread. I like having the capability of connecting my NAV VI to my Android phone and Chromebook. I use FURKOT for my trips and tracks. I've always been able to do this with my other Garmin units, but not with the NAV VI. The OEM cable would work fine with a PC but not the aforementioned devices. What worked was a cheap and short USB cable I had laying around in my junk drawer.
  4. trekkerharry

trekkerharry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It worked, it worked!
    So I did exactly as wonderings advised, but initially had no luck. I tried again and "voila!"
    It seems that after you change the setting and save, unplug the cable from the computer and simply plug it back in again.
    Finicky thingamajig!
  5. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked. Not sure why the software is so finicky. Garmin support was very helpful (while under warranty) and got that sorted out for me quickly as I was on a trip when I had this issue.
  6. WYGSer

WYGSer Ummm...

Oddometer:
    Found this thread, as I was having the same issue with a newly-purchased Nav VI that had 3 yr old maps and software. My Windows 10 laptop wouldn't see it despite putting the NAV VI into mass storage mode manually as described above. My Win7 desktop could see it, but the Garmin Express software wouldn't run on it.

Talked to Garmin Support, guy said the normal issue was that the laptop wasn't putting enough power through the USB connection to trigger mass storage mode on the NAV VI. He said I could try a powered hub (which I had connected anyway, but the directions say not to use a hub). Connected the NAV VI to the hub, and it works fine. Problem solved for me.

Hope that info helps someone!
  7. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having the same problem. Plug my Nav V into my Dell laptop and it initializes and starts charging, but the computer does not see it as a peripheral and Garmin Express does not see it either. Changed the setting in the Garmin device to "mass storage mode," plugged it back into my computer, but still no luck. It just initializes the Garmin and shows that it's charging. Did a hard reset on the Garmin, but nothing changed.

Plugged the Nav V into my wife's slightly older Dell and it comes up immediately as a peripheral device; no problem at all.

Been searching this site and the Internet and saw talk of having to use a USB 2.0 connector to get the computer to reliably discover the Garmin device, but both my wife and I are running USB 3.0 connectors, and again, if the Nav V is plugged into her laptop, it gets discovered immediately. Plug it into mine and nada.

I've also checked to see if there were any new USB drivers I could install, but Microsoft says I'm already running the latest version they have.

Anyone out there who might know of something else I can try?
  8. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What windows version are you using, win 10? If so what creation number? 1909, 1893? Older?

1909 has caused numerous issues, with even Microsoft's own store.
  9. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Running version 1909 and all updates have been performed. I'm at a loss as to how to get this Nav V to connect to my laptop again. It was sporadic a few days ago, but I finally got it to connect and updated all the maps via Garmin Express. Now when I plug it in to the laptop, all it does is power up and charge.
  10. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're probably not going to get it to see it as long as 1909 is installed.

You might see if you have the option to roll back to 1893
  11. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

Is your laptop new PC windows 10? USB-C ports only?

I've had same problem with my Nav VI. Nav simply won't recognize connection and go into the right mode. I had two different port extenders, I've found that some work and some don't. USB 2 is required but some of those don't work either. I ended up with a Hyper Drive SOLO and it works.

From Best Buy. $ 79.95

HyperDrive - 7-Port USB Type-C Hub - Space Gray
    Model:GN21D-GRAY
    SKU:6109303
  12. scfrank

Oddometer:

See my post above.
  13. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, running Windows 10 with two USB 3.0 ports, none of which work to solve this problem. They work fine with all my other peripheral devices, i.e. external hard drive, iPhone, and wireless mouse, but they will no longer recognize the Nav V. They charge the unit just fine, but neither will recognize the unit as a peripheral device while it's plugged in. Had a sporadic connection in the past, most recently 3 days ago, which thankfully allowed me to update my maps, but it's been a no-go since then.

Read through some of the comments on the Garmin support site and see that at least 3 people have solved my exact problem by placing an older USB 2.0 hub between their Garmin device and the PC, so I ordered one from Amazon and will give it a try on Wednesday when it arrives.

There were also some comments about Garmin being foiled by the USB "power share" ports Dell is using in their laptops these days, but I don't see a direct work around to solve that issue. Since the USB 2.0 hub was solving this problem as recently as 2 months ago and Dell has been using the "power share" USB ports on its laptops for a few years now, I'm hoping using the older 2.0 ports on that new hub still might work.

As noted in my initial post, if I plug the Nav V into my wife's older laptop, it gets recognized as a peripheral immediately. Oddly, her computer is using USB 3.0 ports too, but when I look at the device manager on that laptop, it's running a USB 2.0 controller. My laptop is running a USB 3.1 controller. I wonder if that's why the Nav V might be working on her computer, but not mine.

Here's to hoping that USB 2.0 hub I ordered works. If it does... and even if it doesn't... I'll post the results here so others will know whether this something they want to pursue as well.
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I got a small 4 port usb 2.0 hub and it didn’t work. The one I showed above is the only one that did work.

It’s definitely a Garmin issue. I’m sure they know exactly why, maybe a hardware difference. They just don’t want to fix it.

I don’t have a BMW anymore and may sell my Nav VI. The new XT is WiFi and looks nice at $499.
  15. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm hoping the new 2.0 hub works for me like it did the others who posted to the Garmin support site, but at this point, it won't surprise me if it doesn't. If not, I'm not sure I want to spend another $80.00 dollars on the HyperDrive set up you used, even if I knew for sure it would work. If I have to, I'll just need to tell my wife to ignore those two new icons on her desktop and warn her that her laptop is due for some system clean-up when I want to take it into the office so I can quietly use Base Camp to transfer data to my Nav V. :jjen
  16. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Understand. Good luck.
  17. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Just listed my Nav 6 in flea market. I’ll include the hub that works with it. :D
  18. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The USB 2.0 hub... wait for it, wait for it... WORKED! I'm back on-line.

I can't tell you how much reading I've been doing and how many setting adjustments I've made on my laptop in order for it to once again recognize my Nav V, all without success. I traded e-mails with Garmin support staff, but all they did was regurgitate what they already have listed on their website, information that by the way assumes the only thing that would cause the unit not to connect would be not using the supplied Garmin data cable or not plugging the unit into one of the USB ports on the back on your computer... which of course also assumes everyone uses a desktop and no one owns a laptop.

I even went so far as to ask if they'd heard of the units not being compatible with Dell's proprietary PowerShare USB technology, or whether there was a known problem using a USB 3.0 port to make the connection. Was told, "no," they'd never heard of that... despite the fact that those two subjects occupy most of the comment narrative on their own support site. Whatever!

Anyway, putting the 2.0 hub between the Nav V and the 3.0 port on my laptop has solved the problem... at least for me. Here's a link to the hub I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HKIDF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps others out there as well.
    scfrank likes this.