BMW panniers or other brand?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pepperdust, Aug 16, 2015.

1. pepperdust

pepperdust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

kinda pissed touratech doesn't make boxes for the BMW mounting system, so wondering if I should go with BMW boxes or I saw today someone had a brand called globe scout? just wanting best quality, and if that's touratech I'll switch, but would pissed as I have the rear cargo box for the original mounting system

I guess I'm asking, how is BMW's quality, and if you know another better brand let me know please

thanks
  2. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well.. Touratech makes the BMW boxes so...
  3. calfroper

calfroper In it to win it.

Oddometer:
    BMW having issues right now with some of the GSA boxes. Fit to mounting frame not good, so tight that the latch is almost impossible to lock into position and if it does, the key won't turn. Mine waiting replacements. My dealer has a GSA on showroom floor with same issue. It may be the mounting frames out of spec., so not confident when new boxes arrive they will work either.

I squeezed and squeezed at purchase time to get all 3 boxes for no added cost. BMW was having some kind of incentives at the time, not sure details but end result was msrp for bike and 3 free boxes, otherwise I would have passed and gotten another brand. Globe scouts look good and have good reviews.
  4. MisterC

MisterC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well list me as a very satisfied Globe Scout user. I believe thay are among the best out there.
  5. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It took me some time to recive my boxes(almost 2 months), they are easy on and off and having 1 key is nice. They also protected my bike and took no damage from a tip over :muutt
  6. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Globescout:thumb

JR356
  7. NeelsK

NeelsK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for Globe Scouts
  8. autobiker

autobiker Rebellious Minion

Oddometer:
    I have Vario panniers and top case on my wethead. I like how the rear end of the bike stays clean-looking when the cases are off. But I am not very satisfied with the cases themselves. They are plasticky and the expanding mechanism takes up precious space and weigh a ton. Are there aluminum cases that fit the original mounts without additional hardware? I don't want conspicuous metal tube pannier racks or a huge top box plate.

I remember reading on ADVrider that one of the popular brands makes panniers and boxes that fit the OEM mounts, but I can't recall the name and I am not sure if they fit the GS or GSA mounts. Any advice?
    deijmaser likes this.
  9. Hutchison

Hutchison RTR

Oddometer:
    +1 Globescouts...
  10. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Another Globescout fan. I was the first in the country to have the GSA cases and reviewed them for the company importing them. I actually got in a bad wreck on the CDT which bent the shit out of them but they still locked shut. Sadly they were not available when my bike was rebuilt so I settled for Zega Pros. I still regret it.
    LC1 likes this.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no one has made a pannier that works with the Vario mounts, only the GSA mounts.
  12. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Stick with the stock BMW painniers. One key for everything. A pair of Globescouts are quite a bit heavier. When you pack everything you need for a trip, the weight adds up fast. Why start off with a disadvantage?
  13. aredington

aredington Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GlobeScouts are less expensive, use thicker aluminum sheets, and are designed to be dirt, dust, and water proof without a liner bag. They'll support the weight of the bike just fine when it has a low speed nap. If you get the GlobeScout top box it has its own bolt on mounting plate that goes over the BMW top box mount.

If you want one key for absolutely everything, then I guess the BMW boxes are better. But if you wanna save several hundred dollars, or you get keyless ride and don't wanna snap the switchblade key off your fob trying to get into your panniers, I'd give the GlobeScouts a hard look. The panniers require no additional hardware at all, mounting directly to the GSA racks.

Supply is a bit of a problem because they are perpetually on backorder, but from what I hear about the BMW cases, you can expect a wait there too, though it sounds like it might be a shorter one.
  14. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy with my Givi Outback's, black of course! Givi makes mounts for a variety of different bikes so their panniers are transferrable to your other bike or the next bike. They're waterproof, durable, and very easy on/off....

Paul
  15. Vagaboondo

Vagaboondo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm all about the globescouts for my GSA. Only complaint was it took over two months to get them.
  16. Humpzilla

Humpzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For whatever it's worth, I've got the TT Zega Pro's on my GSW (non Adventure). I've also got the Vario top case w/ backrest for when I ride 2-up. I'm quite satisfied with the setup. I really like how much lighter the TT panniers are than the Vario's, and they've already had a bit of a workout (6k miles since I got them 3 months ago) in all kinds of different weather and have held up great.

Oh, and I even sprung for the optional TT 'Cooler' conversion kit. Was a lifesaver at the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis! :lol3

[​IMG]
    cds247, intr1gue and darklight79 like this.
  17. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    Bmw boxes terriable hinges and falloff when not secured with a ziptie The stock plastic hinges suck ass
  18. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a trip last year to Russia with Ayes Adventures the top case on my new R1200GS broke off due to washboard roads. Then Ron (Ayres) lost one of the aluminum side cases off his new 800 GSA. He seemed to think that this was not that uncommon. Not sure what to recommend, but not BMW if you plan any non paved roads
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the Micatech boxes I had on my '07. Incredibly tough but they don't make them anymore, and never did for the GSW.
    I wrecked my '07, so the boxes are for sale now.
  20. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Bumot! Love em.