BMW Paralever pivot bushing replacements Nylager Nushings

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by mouthfulloflake, May 27, 2016.

1. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Price adjustment on the Stainless U kits ( $39 in USA- $42 International)
    web site work is in progress!

Nushings headed to California, Germany, Arkansas, and Singapore!
    Andrew likes this.
  2. TomLewis4412

TomLewis4412 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What did I do wrong?

Just spoke to Matt...good suggestions Ill try.

Ok...2nd go...worse than the first. :(
    Hopefully 3rd times the charm...
    3rd time worked...put the new bearings in the freezer overnight...then poof...

Attached Files:

3. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Sorry Tom!

I should have made a nice clean and well thought out installation video long ago.

Luckily though, my friend Juan has done just that!

check this out

Andrew likes this.
  4. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Nushings headed out to Australia, the UK, California this week.

Website update for fuel tank kit should be SOON.

also a few days of a SUMMER SALE are probably coming sometime in early July.

:beer
    pops likes this.
  5. 2WheelTraveler

2WheelTraveler backinthesaddleagain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why is it that the Nushings will not work on the '88/'89 R10GS final drive? I have an '88 and from the exterior the final drives look the same as others I've seen.
    From what I've read there might be some depth difference in these years, but that doesn't make sense if they have the same part numbers. I'm almost willing to give it a shot, unless someone has already tried and confirms what the differences are.
  6. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    the nushings use the hole that the original bearing goes into AND the blind hole behind that.
    on those 88/89 bikes that second hole was not drilled large enough to accomodate the nushings.

youd need a set of nushings that had a smaller secondary protusion or was simply cut off.
  7. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    If you can measure both of your bores I can tell you it they will fit or not.

and YES, at least one other person has tried and finally we decided it wouldn't work with out modifications.
    globalt38 likes this.
  8. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update: On the way home on Monday the engine shut down with an audible pop and then no ignition. I was able to coast to within 1/4 mile of my exit. Because it was so sudden I honestly thought it was electrical, but all fuses checked out. Quick diagnosis showed no fuel pressure, but the pump was priming. Yup - one of my hoses was a touch too short and popped off. I have replaced the fuel line with slightly longer sections. This is my fault and NOT the fault of MFOF or his kit - he is including longer hose now based on my previous feedback (I was a test dummy). All better:
    20190703_082839.jpg

Lesson Learned: don't skimp on the hose. On the K1200LT it took me~ 5 hours to go in and wrap it up. I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I had bothered to spend a few extra bucks for some more submersible hose. If it was my 1150GS I would have been in and out in less than an hour.
  9. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    that hose is what $27 a foot at napa?

and its worth every penny when you need it.
  10. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    $35/foot list. Less than 6 inches gets the job done.
  11. 90cummins

90cummins 90Cummins

Oddometer:
    Update on my Nylager bushings.
    I thought it would be a good idea to give my 2002 GS a good dose of love after 15k miles.
    I wanted to check the Nylager bushings and final drive splines along with engine oil & filter and also flush the brake & clutch fluid.
    I removed the FD and the bushings were perfect. Absolutely no signs of wear.
    I must admit that I used tractor supply moly grease on them.
    So far there is zero wear and based on this they should last indefinitely.
    Very happy. Would definitely recommend.

90cummins
  12. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Nice report!

I had my prototype versions exposed last weekend too, they showed no wear that concerned me , they have just under 30K on them, and have been installed and removed then installed again, and then ran loose and ran tight just to simulate worst case situations.

they are fine and tight.

in other news, the last web guy used "angular" whatever that is, and the new webguy says its dated, so we might be scrapping the current website and starting over.

time will tell, but I need to be able to maintain it in the future, so I appreciate the patience with getting the fuel tank kits online.

I am down to less than a dozen sets of Nushings on hand, machine shop has been contacted, I will likely order and have material drop shipped early next week, so there might be a lull in shipments if the shop is busy right now. Or maybe not sometimes they do incredibly quick turn around.
    Andrew likes this.
  13. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Matt! Just finished installing on my 96 gs. The manual on the website was great!
  14. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir!
    Yellow Dog likes this.
  15. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Just got notification from the Machine Shop, another batch has been turned and is ready for pickup!

So we are stocked up and ready to ship!
  16. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    in the last few days, two different shipments headed towards the Netherlands!

still waiting on website guy, I might just have to learn to speak HTML myself!

any questions, ideas or concernes, please email nushings@gmail.com
  17. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    nushings_installation.jpg I rode nearly 1000 miles on a freshly installed* set of Nushings in the past two days and so far, I'm pleased.

Thanks Matt & Mark! :thumb

Special thanks to all the folks at the event in Kansas that helped, offered tools, moral support or stood around observing while making jokes & drinking beers :lurk

The Nushing installation took place on a sidewalk, in a park using what tools were in my bike's tool kit, @Feo's tool kit and the truck of a heavy equipment repairman that just happened to be parked 20 feet away who had everything we asked for except a vice [c'mon man, how do you do your job without a vice on that truck? I mean, dude, you've got an electric bicycle FFS...] total time, approx. 2 hours including a lot of time hunting for the right tools...if you were doing this in your shop with your mise-en-place (French for having your shit together), in advance, seems like it could be an hour of total time.

Earlier in the afternoon, I asked @Feo to have a look at a weird sound that was coming from my rear end :katand he discovered an inappropriate amount of movement in the rear wheel. Soon @mouthfulloflake was summoned and the next thing I knew I was holding the final drive in my hands, so as not to spill out the gear oil...

Background: this is a 2003 RT(P) with 107K miles on the oddometer, that just 10K miles ago had $2000 worth of work done, refreshing everything from the engine back, at my regular (and highly reputable) shop in Chicago... I handed them a set of aftermarket bushings made of some fancy alloy before they started the work, having heard that these things would make the bike faster and me a better rider...or something... I ride this bike hard, fast, far and its often heavily loaded with luggage & a passenger (she's light, our packing, is not).

Said aftermarket solution absolutely 100% made the bike faster and me a better rider but, also failed in just 10K miles...YMMV.

I'm told that there is a lot of doubt over the "use a piece of wood" to seat them in the final drive housing - after witnessing this method and contemplating alternative methods (for example: cutting a piece of PVC pipe to make a tool to do the job or other press-fit methods) I'd say anyone who doubts this method of installation is overthinking things and should simply get over it. :gerg

I don't know if Nushings will make me faster (although, I did get a performance award on the way home -- so all signs are pointing to yes, so far...) but, having heard all about the design theory behind them, I'm confident they will be reliable in my bike for many, many miles.
  18. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brad!

for being the first test subject at a Rally!

Glad you made it home safe.
    bradatlarge likes this.
  19. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Brad. Shadetree and sidewalk repairs are the best!

(I edited your post to show the full image... which, alas, had the consequence of enlarging the shining pate of @mouthfulloflake )

Edit to correct: That's actually @Feo with the dome!
    bradatlarge likes this.
  20. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Its a real shame more photos and or video wasnt taken..

I blame Dervish