BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. wegimex

wegimex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A nightmare come true. I was waiting for a capable low tech real adventure tourer (without the 15 smart phnes attached like the ultraheavy 1200 GS) and would have considered returning to BMW from KTM for a rough ride and now that ???? Who the f.... needs an urban enduro? This is an oximoron to start with. Never mind. Next bike will be KTM again. So furious...
    goforth and LowOnFuel like this.
  2. FolsomTony

FolsomTony Fat Tony

Oddometer:
    If I understand what you are upset about, is that you wanted BMW to make a bike that suits your needs, by using technology from 20 years ago?

Look at my signature line, and you may see your answer. It's not light (neither am I), but I'd like to think its is a low tech real adventure tourer.

Simple and new, is a rare thing.
  3. irishmatt18

irishmatt18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bike is UGLY.... I found my 1200 GSA by accident. I was dead set on a KTM... Ended up training in my BMW car... Had that been the option, I would have a KTM.
  4. Revontulet

Revontulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a rule of thumb you can stay away from any product that's got "urban" in its name. Legit candidate for the 2015/16 bullshit bingo. Imho.

But honestly this is no suprise. It's been a long time since BMW revealed some low-tech machinery in the mid or upper cc range that can take a few hits. Did you really expect that to change? Sure, the Starbucks is strong with this one, though...
  5. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nightmare? If someone forcing it up your rectum - that would be the stuff of nightmares. They are really just offering it for sale to take or leave. To me, it looks like a stylish naked bike to go up against the duc scrambler market. I like it. I have no use for one - but it looks ok to me.

If you wanted a simple lightweight ADV bike from BMW this is what you re looking for: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2017-bmw-g310gs-adv-first-look-review-from-eicma-2016
    Baloo, Deans BMW, Electrical and 8 others like this.
  6. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the NineT scrambler is sick. would love to own one!.
  7. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The price will determine how many people actually end up buying one.
    Roadscum and tykebe like this.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that, and how many can stomach the looks of the monstrosity! :lol3
    EastRoad likes this.
  9. wegimex

wegimex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well the 310 has a nice engine, but that bike is off-road capable as my Golf GTI or almost 0 so to say. I am an adict of the old air/oil cooled Boxer but they just don´t fit it into the bike I need. Pure lifestyle stuff for dentists. So sad. I was really looking forward to a serious adventure bike because I really use it for the purpose. Anyway. Not much to be done I guess. KTM until the end.
    Piney Pete and sarapicos like this.
  10. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BMW that I know would never make such an ugly bike...

Attached Files:

11. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, if we are being honest - I bet that 310 is as capable off-road as any 650lb adv motorcycle with just a wheel/tire swap.

Nothing at all wrong with those big LC-8 Katooms though (well, there is a lot that can go wrong with 'em... but nevermind that) - no reason to change up if you are happy wearing orange. My GS is going on 10yrs old and I shopped 1190s pretty hard this year but ended up deciding to keep the GSA for another year or two (or 20). But if you pressed a wad of cash in my palm and said go get a new bike... it would be a '16 1190Adv R.
    SCPancho and wegimex like this.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It was OK for it's day, though not very pretty. It was much more functional than this "urban" Scrambler.

I always dislike the concept of copying from a past design too faithfully. It usually just looks awkward and dated right out of the gate.
  13. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see if the old bike really would be more functional that this new "urban" version. Realistically not much less suspension travel, and much more modern components throughout.

Mind you, there are far too many bikes I actually like to consider having either taking up space in my garage (and making space in my wallet), but I understand. :)
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    The old one was more actually purpose built to go off road, plus a fair bit lighter. While it lacks all the modern amenities, it makes up for it in serviceability in the middle of nowhere.
    magallanas likes this.
  15. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Sure, it's simpler like any Airhead. But with it's own issues that are often lost to fond memories of yesteryear.

480v Sparky, jamracing, Elad and 6 others like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I am aware of that. I'm just saying that there is nothing gained from the "Urban" GS unless you like your moustaches curly, 3/4 helmets flat black and skinny jeans!:lol3
  17. nobody0101

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely requires the "urban-lumberjack" look for the full effect. :)
    KneeDrachen, Roadscum and JimVonBaden like this.
  18. puckpuck

puckpuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for sure know several group people that would get into this urban R9T.

group 1) hipster friends that make $150+ programming bullshit for the internet, AKA Techbro. Already have a chopped up Bonnie scrambler and a Multistrada. They can buy this toy so they feel like an adventure without all the bulky pannier boxes. They already have some Aether motorcycle gear but doesn't know any good trail to take their bike to. (geez sound like me two years ago minus the internet and 150K and bonnie and ducati)

group 2) almost retired rich friends that been riding GSA the past 10 years and currently on the newest GSA. It's fresh, and because they have extra cash, and because it look cool in front any coffee shop. Life goal here.
  19. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's pretty ironic that people in this crowd/forum would say stuff like this. It's kind of "the pot calling the kettle black".

I like these fun retro concept bikes, and unfortunatley I don't fall into the groups you've described. I also don't ride around in an aerostitch one piece with my flip up helmet and my adventure bike with boxes that never leaves the pavement. It's pretty lame to try to stereotype people like that.

These bikes may open up a different market to BMW, and bring more people into both the brand and motorcycling. All good things. Triumph, Ducati, and others seem to be cashing in on it, why not BMW?
  20. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on that

although i dont think he meant anything evil in his post, plly just joking
    Traxx, Spencer platt, josgs and 3 others like this.