BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering the same thing!

It seems like you could use the triple clamps from the R NineT Classic that has upside down forks as a starting point, but you'd need longer forks.

I have the Wilbers +70mm fork kit (which only increases travel about 30-35mm or so), but it's nothing like the proper USD forks I have on other bikes and I'd be keen to upgrade if there was a decent path to do so.

I was thinking to start scouting around to see if anyone has worked this out. I found a post of the Classic upper fork tube outer diameters so I've got something to start with. Part of the issue is being able to fit the original front wheel which I'd really like to do as it's a nice tubeless design.
  2. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    danketchpel likes this.
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to replace the Wunderlich 20mm riser spacers with some thing that move the bars back also. I was thinking something like the ROX "up n back" blocks which move the bars 1 1/2" (38mm) up and 1" (25mm) back, but I believe that might be more than the stock hoses/cables will allow for.
    ROX riser block.JPG

The Helibars spacers move the bars up 1" (25mm) and back 1 1/16" (27mm) and they claim it will work with the stock cables/hoses.
    Helibar riser 1.JPG

There is also a nice looking replacement riser from Voigt that states theirs moves the bars up by 25mm and back by 23mm and I'm guessing the stock cables/hoses will work.
    Voigt risers 3.JPG

The prices is almost the same (~$120) for all of them with the Voigt being a little more expensive (~$146) and ships from Europe.

There is also the traditional pivoting adjustable ROX risers which I believe most are 2" center to center. They make a 1 3/4" version but state it only works on a very few bikes.
  4. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for a 2021 to test ride. Has anyone compared it to the 2018/19? Shocks are supposed to be improved and ride by wire(?).
  5. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    It is flyby wire now. That does away with throttlebody syncing.
  6. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put some miles on the bike since I have added the new speedo and tank. It's here.
  8. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    I bought 28 mm risers and it wasn’t enough. Now I’m running those + 2” Rox.
    danketchpel likes this.
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So today I pulled the wheels to get the new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires mounted, pix to follow as I don't have them back yet.

In the mean time, I installed the Hepco & Becker tank bag ring mount that finally arrived from Germany. I already had the tank bag that I was using on another bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had made up these handlebar weights to reduce vibes in the bars. I used a pair of machinable bore split ring shaft collars and machined the bore to fit the bars at the grip area, then machined in a wire cable clearance slot. The small round spacers are steel replacements for the aluminum spacers that fit inside of the steel bar-end weights. Between the Barbusters and the additional weights I have reduced bar vibes to almost nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a shot of the bike waiting for the wheels to go back on.

[​IMG]
    CCBonnie, Ma Junior, Baloo and 2 others like this.
  10. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Joined the tacho on the Urban club.
    IMG_8753.jpeg
  11. wilkey113

wilkey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on my Urban GS now that it's complete in my mind.
    I'm the original owner, and the bike I bought was one of the Accessory Package machines. That package, included the following:

Passanger sub frame delete
    Black solo Customer seat
    Porter rack
    Handguards
    Skid Plate
    Tank knee pads
    Side covers
    Radiator side covers
    Black valve covers
    Tank bag
    Akrapovic exhaust

And I've added the following Farkles:

OEM tachometer
    Wunderlich engine protection bars
    BMW 2V valve covers
    Ohlins fork cartridges
    Ohlins rear shock
    Ohlins steering damper
    MK2 Pivot Pegz
    SW Motech shift lever
    Altrider brake pedal enlarger / riser
    Wunderlich rear master cylinder guard
    Wunderlich throttle sensor guard
    Wunderlich side stand enlarger
    Machine Art Moto Mudslinger
    Orange solo seat
    Charcoal canister removal
    Exhaust flapper removal

Ive got 7400 miles on the bike, and I also own a 2018 GSA, so I swap miles between the two, depending on my mood or the destination. I've also got a set of Michelin Road Trail 5 tires mounted, which went on during the 6000 mile service. I like them better than the Metzler's that originally came on the bike. I certainly can't ride either set of those tires, but the Michelins do seem to have better grip.
    The Ohlins suspension, while expensive, made a huge difference in the way the bike feels and handles. It certainly feels more planted and tracks the way it should. And with all the adjustability, it's nice to be able to dial it in based on preference. The suspension and the tachometer, were definitely the best additions to this bike, and those things alone, make a world of difference. The rest of the bits, are really just style / preference choices. I still have the original black solo seat, which sits a bit lower, and I swap back and forth between the 2 seats. It's nice to have different options.
    The SW Motech shifter is very nice since it's adjustable and the toe shifter folds in, just in case. The Altrider brake pedal enlarger also makes a huge difference as I always felt that the brake pedal say too low. Their website doesn't list an application for this bike, but it's the same profile as the F850 GS, and bolts right on. The Ohlins steering damper is super nice looking and very adjustable, but if I'm being honest, it probably wasn't necessary. Throttle sensor guard is a nice piece of insurance that I probably didn't need, but it's cheap enough to warrant the peace of mind. The rear brake master cylinder guard, is also unnecessary, but it looks nice, and also was really cheap. Side stand enlarger, in my opinion is a must on these bikes.
    The Mudsling does it's job very well and mounts neatly. I think the bike looks better without it, but I opted for it in order to keep dirt and grime off the expensive rear Ohlins shock. Exhaust flapper removal, requires a servo buddy to plug in do the system still thinks it's there and doesn't throw a code. I removed the cables from the unit, but still mounted the box back in it's location because it's just plastic, doesn't weigh anything, and that space just looked empty without it. From the left side of the bike, the charcoal canister removal, really cleans things up nicely.
    Overall, I think this bike is amazing! I've got it set up to my preference for both riding ergonomics, and overall aesthetic. The 2V valve covers really bring it home, in my opinion. They're expensive, but they're heavy duty quality, and really look the part. If you're considering getting them, and you have the engine protection bars, you'll need the spacer / extension kit for the bars, because these valve covers sit wider.
    Anyway just thought I'd share some info and photos.
    Cheers
    IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1414.jpg IMG_1415.jpg IMG_1416.jpg IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1419.jpg IMG_1422.jpg IMG_1423.jpg
  12. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done.
  13. shreddr

shreddr No try, do or not do

Oddometer:
    tonyubsdell and danketchpel like this.
  14. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and feedback on some of the "upgrades". I was considering that Ohlins steering dampener, hmmm.

I recently added the Tach and agree, good upgrade and I kinda think it should have been there stock.

I have the one piece 2 passenger seat low, and I'm trying to decide which way to go for a seat.

I will probably do the evap canister removal and flappy valve removal, but they won't ship the bits for the flappy removal into California so I have to jump through some stupid hoops to accomplish that.

But before that, I want to find a set of engine guard bars that don't interfere with valve servicing. I have a set of Hepco & Becker bars and removed them for that reason. I think Unit Garage makes a set, not sure if others do also.
  15. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:

For the flappy valve insert, just get your measurements and go to a muffler shop, they'll make one for you in about two minutes for a couple bucks...
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some photos from Sunday's ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. wilkey113

Oddometer:

I fully agree that the tach should have just come with it stock. Maybe it's just me, with having ridden vintage bikes for so long, but knowing the revs, is simply a must. I also like having the gear indicator, and since both gauges fit in their nicely, it's just a no brainer.
    As for the Ohlins steering damper, don't get me wrong, its a nice piece of kit, and it looks really good. I just don't know if the performance of it, over the stock unit, warrants the cost. If money isn't a barrier, than I say go ahead and get it. Probably nice to be able to set it to the number of clicks that you prefer. But It's not like it's I noticed any difference, unless someone wants to run it really stiff.
  18. TommyTuenz

TommyTuenz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Urban GS inmates, I just picked up the bumblebee version of this bike. I previously had an R nineT scrambler but that sumbitch had the worst ride of any bike, ever. These 21s are much improved but still...flinty. Not diving into the Ohlins game just yet as I want to settle in a bit first.

Just FYI, the BMW parts catalog says the second clock won't work on the GS for 21, but my dealer and I ordered the kit anyway to see why. If it's just a matter of using the Dremel tool to massage some reliefs into the edge of the flyscreen, I will do that. If it's some other fitment issue, I will still try to fab my way out of it. I'll let y'all know either way. I did immediately place a couple orders with Unit Garage and Wunderlich, of course.

The 40th edition bikes are very much crowd pleasers. People just have an emotional reaction to them. I never had so many cameras pointed at me...
    danketchpel likes this.
  19. wilkey113

Oddometer:

Super interested to hear your thoughts on the 2021 Bumble Bee. They're very limited, and but oh so cool. I was able to see one at the dealership the day it was being picked up.
    With the 2021, it's a throttle by wire set up, so it feels a bit different. I'm also curious how these compare since they're Euro 5 compliant.
    My only thought on why it wouldn't work, and this is only a guess, but perhaps something to do with the wiring harness? The 2021 has Ride modes, so I'm guessing the electronics might be a bit different. Actual fit shouldn't be an issue though. The screen is the same on both bikes, and as long as you have the OEM bracket to mount the gauges, it should physically drop right in. Please keep us posted, I'd surely love to know.
  20. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I very much suspect it's a harness / ECU programming issue more than a physical fit issue. I would think there's a fair bit of variation between the ECU programs given RBW and EU 5 etc.

I was so stoked to see the Tach come alive and offer the extra info when I plugged it in. I quite like the gear indicator though I wish I could figure out how to transfer the time clock to the Tach so I can keep the trip mileage on the speedo.

I was playing with the ASC/ABS on/off functions on my ride Sunday, it works... but a bit strange in my opinion and you have to sort keep at it to get what you want. Maybe more practice and the German logic will make sense. The manual simply states push the button until the character of the light(s) changes, OK......