BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    I got caught riding in the rain on my urban GS. Really highlights the need for some sort longer rear font mudguard. Any suggestions.

Photo for attention.
    IMG_8688 2.JPG
  2. Marcusbee

Marcusbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just Dan likes this.
  3. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    You might be able to find an old “shovel” rear fender from a 2010 or 12 GS. Bolt right up.
    Just Dan and Zoul like this.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    After last Sunday's ride I decided to order up a set of the ROX "Up n Back" risers. I will remove the Wunderlich 20mm spacers on there now and try these instead.

ROX riser block.JPG

I'm hoping I can make my hoses/cables work with these. I kept moving my hands around to mimic different bar locations while I was riding and "I think" these will put the bars just about right where I want them.

I'm pretty sure I will need to make some clearance mods to the speedo/tach mounting bracket to allow for the hoses/cables to pass between it and the top triple clamp.

I figured worst case with these is I could use them on another bike one day if they didn't work out.
    Baloo likes this.
  5. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rarely do "product reviews" or give opinion of a product that I have purchased. I'm not a journalist or "influencer"; Hell my 16 yr old son doesn't even listen to me!

But this time I was so POSITIVELY IMPRESSED by Machineart Moto ADVance Hand Guards.

https://machineartmoto.com/products/advance-guard/

Revzilla were out of stock, so I called direct to the sales line on the website. I was pleasantly greeted and spoke to what sounded like one of the owners. They took my order over the phone, emailed me a receipt within 24 hours and this afternoon I received the product. (4 days total)

The guards are great!! The kit was well packaged, clearly informed directions and concisely packaged parts made fora 30 min install.

This is the approach, presentation and quality in moto manufacturing that we and all Americans should expect!

WELL DONE MACHINEART MOTO!

IMG_2837.jpg IMG_2838.jpg IMG_2839.jpg
    relayer4u likes this.
  6. jwrover

Oddometer:

Let us know how they work out. I'm interested in a set for my bike.
    Thanks!
    danketchpel likes this.
  7. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    I need to move the turn signals back to make room for some new panniers. I could fabricate a bracket. It will work but be crude. Or I can buy a bracket from Unit Garage, Holan, or ?? at a price that makes me wince. The fuckers know our break point and come in a penny under.
    Baloo likes this.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    NIce!

I have to ask, what windscreen is that? And can you post detailed pix of how it's mounted, or if you have maybe a linky?

I've read through this entire thread and don't recall seeing it, but.... maybe I missed it ?????
  9. NYC_V

NYC_V Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I traded in a R1200GS for a R1250RS last December, but I’ve actually become a little bored with the RS. I thought about perhaps swapping it for a bike with more character and these RNineT’s, especially the Urban, have my attention. I’ll have to see what the numbers look like but I hope to get a test ride soon.
  10. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a skid plate and crash bars for the UGS. Recommendations? For the skid plate, which one offers the best protection of the crossover pipes? It seems the altrider is out of stock. I would prefer a black anodized one. Wunderlich?SW-Motech? Same for the bars...
    Baloo likes this.
  11. wilkey113

wilkey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I don't have any experience with the R1250RS, I do have both a R1200GSA and an Urban GS. It's funny because the GSA is the superior of the two in many ways, the Urban GS just checks all the boxes and is just such a pleasure to ride. I'd say that it's only real short coming in my opinion, would be long distance high speed freeway riding. And that's only because the GSA has so much wind protection. The Urban GS is just awesome. Such a visceral experience to ride it. I truly enjoy it every ride. And that's really what motorbikes are all about.
    BigIron, Fred Gassit and knary like this.
  12. jwrover

Oddometer:
    It's the Puig Naked Universal. I measured, marked and drilled the factory cowl to allow me to screw the screen to it. I have added a small "lanyard" of velcro from the top of the light cage to the bottom of the Puig. The added hight and weight caused a little shaky flutter over rough road and gravel.

I have the same screen "Farkle" mounted on my 1200 XC as well. I really like the shape and hight of this unit. I don't find it super "universal" with regard to mounting options, so I have had to make my own modifications both times. But so far so good.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.15.34 AM.png

IMG_2841.jpg IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2843.jpg
    murin and danketchpel like this.
  13. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    I have a set of sw motech I have never installed and a set of wunderlich “knock offs” deciding on which ones now. I’ll offer up the runner up for a good deal.

I’m in Elkton Virginia. Ride out for the install
    For the bash plate, get whatever the top three has on sale and rattle can that bitch black.
    Zoul likes this.
  14. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed info!
  15. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Hepco & Becker skidplate. I think it probably has the most crossover pipe protection, maybe too much?

hepco-becker-skid-plate-bmw-r-nine-t-3.jpg

I recently decided to trim mine down, cutting off the extension in the front that extends up past the crossover pipe and the vertical turned up extensions on the sides. I did this primarily because I found those long extensions tend to resonate with the vibrations and make things louder and worse, plus they don't really do anything useful. Here's a shot of it after trimming from my last ride.

20210613_142420.jpg

I'm also looking for some crash bars that don't interfere with servicing the valves. I have a set of H & B crash bars that I removed.

I'm considering the SW-Motech crash bars.

SW-Motech crash bars from Twisted Throttle - close up 1.JPG
  16. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go buy a S1000XR. I guarantee you will not be bored!
  17. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! It looks like SW Motech leaves cylinder covers more open than Wunderlich, is that true? I have the 719 covers so that could be a positive for looks, but a negative for damage risk. choices...
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know myself. I think it somewhat depends on how the bike goes down. When I bought my bike it had the Hepco & Becker crash bars on it, and it had been down on both sides, not hard but down. You can see from this photo that the left side valve cover did get some scratches in it, even with the extra bar there over the valve cover. So ????

Photo Apr 18, 9 06 33 AM-1.jpg

For my purposes I want more direct access to the valve cover for servicing and I'm considering the plastic or possibly metal valve cover overlays in addition to the the SW-Motech crash bars. Or I just won't sweat some scratches in the valve covers but want to protect them from any major damage.
    Baloo likes this.
  19. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I got my ROX "Up and Back" risers installed today. The 1 1/2" up and 1" back was ideal for me. I had previously been using the Wunderlich 20mm spacer, which is better, but I wanted a bit higher for standing and a bit more back for my arm reach.

It wasn't a drop-in installation. It would have been a drop-in on any other bike but BMW chooses to use a larger 10mm bolt to hold the risers to the top triple clamp so.... , ya. I had to machine out the bolt hole and the counterbore to clear the larger 10mm bolt. The rest "fell into place" as it were.

To make suitable clearance for the cables and hoses I made some clearance cuts in the bracket for my speedo/tach, which is wider than the speedo only bracket. With that extra clearance I didn't have any issues with the stock length hoses & cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jwrover likes this.
  20. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    I’m using something similar. They’re close to what I want ergonomically. I’m a bit annoyed by how they make it harder to access the ignition key.