BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    7302FE19-2047-449D-A483-ABE33F149709.jpeg 10DC2CE3-8FF0-4B17-9948-B52697540320.jpeg
    Installed mine yesterday. 15 min.
    danketchpel likes this.
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far I'm not seeing that issue with my setup.

How much closer is your setup?
  3. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. adv63

adv63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of trading my 2016 GSA 1200 for a Turban. My glory days of trying to follow the guys on the Husqvarna 701/KTM 690 are over. Logging roads and non technical 2 tracks are the future for me.
    Two options:
    One, a 2018 with 3300 km, ABS, TC, heated grips, cylinder protection, rear rack, mint condition.
    Two , a new 2021, same specs, no protection or rack.
    Aside from the 2021 model having the full 3 years warranty and the riding modes, and the 2018 being $3000 cheaper, pros and cons of each option?
    Any thoughts and feedback appreciated.
    Cheers.
  5. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Damn!!! I could’ve used it. That’s just enough riser for me. Want to get rid of it? I have a bike I can use it on.
  6. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went thru a similar thought process. Looked at a 701 but was not excited, so I went Turban route. Just picked up 2021 Turban. Like the ride by wire, LED etc. It rides better than the 2018 I test rode. Big factor was that I was able to get a bumble bee :)
    adv63 and knary like this.
  7. adv63

adv63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your feedback. If you would not mind expending a bit on the riding better part, that would be great.
    Cheers.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up 2021 Turban. Like the ride by wire, LED etc. It rides better than the 2018 I test rode.

Yes, please expand on this statement, I'd be quite interested to know the differences you felt or observed.

It's kinda funny on the Bumble Bee paint scheme, it was a factor that turned me off to the 2021 bike. I don't know why BMW doesn't appear to be importing the traditional white/red Turbans to the States. I only see the Bumble Bee version listed on the website. I really wanted the white/red colors as that was part of the "clincher" that attracted me to the bike.
    tonyubsdell and adv63 like this.
  9. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To me it feels more responsive and the shocks feel better, less harsh. This is on roads (with the usual bumps and imperfections). I have not been off road with either.
    adv63 likes this.
  10. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    You’ll want the cruise control.
  11. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    Cruise control and cornering ABS top the list of appealing new features for me.
  12. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking of trading my 17 GS for a Scrambler. After having cruise control for the first time I don’t think I can live without it.
    knary likes this.
  13. knary

Oddometer:
    I’ve never had it and prior to the Urban, I was ambivalent. But as a bike with less than stellar touring ability (it’s fine, just not a coddled experience), that little bit of extra ease and comfort is very appealing.
    danketchpel and misanthropic like this.
  14. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just played with the cruise control. I initially thought it was a gimmick, but found it very useful going thru small towns with 30mph limits and cameras...
    Zoul likes this.
  15. knary

Oddometer:
    But why? :lol3
    adv63 likes this.
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had CC on a bike before myself. My Urban came with a friction type CC which is the first I've even experienced such a thing on a bike. I still find it kinda weird, but..... being able to remove my throttle hand and give it a few shakes once in a while is sure nice. I can see the value in that respect for sure.

The friction type is helpful for sync'ing the throttle bodies as you can set the rpm level constant while you make adjustments.
  17. adv63

adv63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. 90% of my riding is off pavement, so not a big deal for me. I have cruise control on my 1290 Super Duke GT, and again I seldom use it as I try and avoid long stretches of slab at all cost.
    Cheers.
  18. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Cruise control it’s definitely nice thing to have on a bike if you can get it , get it.
  19. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently I haven't been paying attention. I didn't realize that cruise was an option now. It may be time to upgrade. That was one of the hardest things to let go of when I sold my GS.
  20. wilkey113

wilkey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personal opinion here, but I prefer the 2018. It's got a traditional throttle cable, which in my opinion, is more in line with the feel of the Urban. The 2021 has a throttle by wire.
    Also, the 2021 is Euro 5 compliant, and while it only loses 1 HP from the 2018, it's down on torque, which is more valuable than HP in all conditions.
    Plus I think you'll like the cylinder protection and rear rack. So basically, all you'd be losing with the 2021, is the riding modes and the 3 year warranty. I don't think the riding modes would make much of a difference since the 2018 you mentioned, has traction control and you can turn off the ADS. Save the $3000, upgrade the suspension on the 2018 and buy an extended warranty for it. And 3300 km is nothing in regards to mileage.
    Just my 2 cents here. Only other factor, would be which color you prefer. Either option is great, and either option you'd want to upgrade the suspension.
    danketchpel and adv63 like this.