BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still lovin' the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's on my Turban, a better tyre than the oe Tourance.:bubba
    Baloo and ParkedPatina like this.
  2. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    I’m about to pull the trigger on a set of rubymoto lights. https://www.rubymoto.com/
    I have a set of clear water lights that came on another bike. Great lights but the 1400 ish price tag is a little heavy for another set. These seem to be an affordable alternative. High quality and more light for half the cost. The owner/inventor is very personable and informative.
    Anybody have or have seen these lights in action yet?
  3. wilkey113

wilkey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone running Double Take mirrors on their Urban? I'd love to see some photos and maybe a little info on how you like them.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Double Take mirrors on my Husky 650. I'm kinda mixed on them to be honest.

Pros = Price is right and mounting parts are standard RAM stuff, mirror optics are decent as is the shape, very flexible in positioning them.

Cons = They can be a royal pain to get into position, especially the first time or if it all goes askew. This is because of the double joint in the RAM extension arm. They may not hold their position at higher speeds so well.

Here's a photo of the ones I have on my Husky 650.

20170527_133205-1.jpg

20170527_133149-1.jpg
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a few Sargent seats and been happy with all of them.

One thing I'd like to achieve is not having to bolt the seat on, I really wish it was a key unlock like most modern bikes.

I need to better understand the whole 2 piece seat and solo seat / cargo rack option thing. If there was a mix n match setup that allowed for swapping the passenger section with a rack back n forth, keeping the solo front section that would be attractive.
  6. Baloo

Oddometer:
    The rack system that I have on Urban is Attached in a way that is not easily switched out for a one piece seat. The rack system that replaces the pillion is oem. You need to purchase the clip hardware that is on the stock solo seat. My urban came with the rack system.

So I just spoke to Sergeant seat. They do not sell a pillion. Just a pillion cover. So you would need to find a pillion and the attachment hardware that bolts to the solo seat if you want the long seat look They do have a storage pod but it does not look like it would suit most of our needs.
    Other companies offer a long replacement seat. 538DD492-DA3A-49BF-9860-4939A42B10EC.jpeg

SEAT KIT
    https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/BMW-R9TScrambler-Package/

SEAT HARDWARE
    https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2018/R-NineT-URBAN-GS/Seats and seat bench/Drivers seat.html#PartsTable

OEM RACK
    https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2018/R-NineT-URBAN-GS/Optional Equipment and Accessories, Motorrad/Baggage porter.html#PartsTable
  7. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Baloo,

Thanks a bunch for the info!

It's kinda looking like I should just get my bench seat reworked and call it a day. I'd love to have a split seat setup that easily swapped a pillion seat for a rack much like is available for some of the GS models. But that's not looking like a realistic option for this bike, unless I'm not understanding all that's available.
    Baloo likes this.
  8. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Yeah it’s a shame it’s just not an easy swap
  9. Ma Junior

Ma Junior Adventurer

Oddometer:
    out and about today

85A28A3F-8D8B-4F92-9C28-FD7589D5F951.jpeg

8183D0D1-3E4B-4D1D-B26C-921D9068D70E.jpeg

D8CD8F3E-45B3-4653-88C1-5738BE8501C8.jpeg

16C01303-7140-4D92-B3AE-03243C741555.jpeg
    BigIron, OierXT, knary and 5 others like this.
  10. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, I wanted to ask;

Sometimes when I come to a stop and the bike is hot I get just a whiff of hot oil smell. But for the life of me I can't find a drop or even a weep of oil anyplace. I've washed the bike & engine thoroughly in an attempt to make sure I have clean surfaces to look at, but nothing. And it's not all the time, maybe depends on which way the wind blows???

I've had the tank up a couple times, recently to drop in a new Shorai LiFe battery and replace the OEM air filter with a Sprint filter. I've looked all over the top of the engine, hose joints etc. nothing up there either.

I recently pulled the valve covers to check the valve clearances, all were right in spec. I also checked the gaskets and looked for any signs of them leaking, nothing. I put in new plugs while I was at it.

Anyone experience this?
  11. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    Most everyone that has ridden an air or air/oil cooled BMW boxer has experienced this. It’s a stinky part of the charm of the bikes.
    danketchpel likes this.
  12. Yashko51

Yashko51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

My 2019 Pure had the same occasional smell. Call it an aroma exuded by a bike being exercised and don't lose sleep over it.
    danketchpel likes this.
  13. Baloo

Oddometer:
    It’s comforting to know that the odd smell or weird sound phenomenon Is experienced by someone other than me. I get that burning oil or hot engine smell once in a while. I have to look Down and see what might be on the ground or Wonder what’s going on with the car in front or behind me. It always freaks me out to smell brakes. My first thought is damn I’m riding my clutch. Then I realize when you’re going 50 miles an hour or more there’s no way you can smell your own farts.
    Detroit Steve likes this.
  14. dxamet

dxamet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm concerned if it's not there. I'm getting robbed of my experience.
    Baloo likes this.
  16. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. m931a2

m931a2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like it. Using my GS pig off-road is hard when it's built as a touring bike. This might get the Off-road part to separate from the on-road part. Good move in my book.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  18. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fully agree. I'm on an even bigger pig than you...02 1150GSA- also set up for touring. Of course, I decided to size down (and orange) for more off-road and got a 640Adventure but the R9T has always tempted me. It just didn't offer enough of any one thing to make me serious. Now? maybe...
  19. eri

eri Long timer

Oddometer:
    great news

they listened to the market!
    danketchpel likes this.
  20. mototopo67

mototopo67 Been here awhile

Oddometer: