BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty close to how I did it, though I didn't wait the 15 minutes, more like 5 minutes or so as I readied the front chock stand to hold it upright. Next time I'll wait a bit longer.

Thanks a bunch for the official reference!

It seems my guestimate was pretty close.

I went and dug up that page from the OM and the level was at the "min" when I added and now it's at "max". I will probably drain about just a bit so it's at say 3/4 the way up between min and max and take the filling slower next time, especially now that I have a pretty good idea of what amount might be needed.
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    No worries... Knowing that Min to Max is half quart/liter, I'd guestimate how much to add and follow guidelines on the side of 1 qt oil bottle to add approx. amount I'd need to be at ~half way mark on the oil sight glass... :thumb
  3. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, no... This is turning into another oil thread...:becca
    vagueout likes this.
  4. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my Urban GS, I was given the tool kit separately along with paperwork and spare keys etc. but I can't see a space under the seat for it. The manual does show it but there are other electronic sensors/connectors in that area so I'm not sure it will fit !
    danketchpel likes this.
  5. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just under there today attaching a light bar. I stuck my tools under the plastic cover. Since those are very few tools they fit fine.
  6. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine sits in the bottom drawer of my toolbox in the garage.
    sizzlingbadger likes this.
  7. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    I managed to fit the tool kit in the rear section by taking the C spanner out and leaving it at home.

I removed the charcoal canister today and moved the starter relay up into the tray under the seat.Then I removed the Rox Risers and fitted a Quadlock for my phone.

MAM X-Heads and Aliexpress hand guards ordered today.

Bike is a 2019 model and has 4,200km on it, still has original TKC80's, receipts for 3 services despite hardly being used. Loving it so far.
    danketchpel likes this.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking to remove my canister and probably the flapper valve later.

I'd like to know more about moving the starter relay, do you have any pictures?
  9. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    The OEM muffler is pretty loud, it sounds great. I was just wondering if it had been modified by the previous owner as I can straight through it, no baffles ?

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.11.05 AM.jpg
  10. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    I re-used the rubber hose from the canister to extend the one from the tank (originally went to the canister) down the left hand side of the frame. You just cut the U shaped ends off. One hose has a larger end and will fit over the hose from the tank. Then it will clip in next to the other hose from the tank so that they both exit under the bike. One is a breather and the other is the over-fill.

Check out the video below for the starter relay relocation. I just used a 5mm drill and a cable tie to hold it down to the plastic pan.

IMG_4455.jpeg

heyyrick and danketchpel like this.
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and video link!
  12. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, it's stock. The OEM muffler is straight through, the primary "silencer" is the CAT in the header pipes and the flapper valve which has a mind of it's own as to when to flap and quiet things down. In some ways it's kinda cool that BMW tried to use the flapper to meet sound regs while still allowing for a nice sounding stock system. I have no plans to change my pipe, but I might well remove the flappy valve mostly in the interest of simplifying / cleaning things up. I don't want it any louder as I'm pleased with how it is now. It's not a high priority right now.
    sizzlingbadger likes this.
  13. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for checking. It does sound good, I was just surprised that BMW got away with it. I'll be removing the flapper shortly just to tidy it up really.
    knary likes this.
  14. New englander

New englander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All loaded up for some camping in the mountains 2021-09-23__17.10.53.jpg
  15. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    nicely packed/prepped

well done
    New englander likes this.
  16. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    Well packed. The symmetry is magnificent.
  17. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little upgrade today. I really wanted the adjustability and when I took the stock unit off I realized how stiff it's "setting" was!

[​IMG]
    Baloo likes this.
  18. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I removed my steering damper for a see how it goes effort, never went back on, just handles better without the stock item.:*sip*
    Baloo and knary like this.
  19. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    I’d put it up there with most any other upgrade for improving the feel of these bikes.
    vagueout likes this.
  20. LVmotorcop1

LVmotorcop1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20210927_141141.jpg
    I couldnt resist and had to buy one. I have only added some bar risers and a Unit Garage rear rack that will mount a top case from a GSA.

Been looking at some engine guards but with the Option 719 valve covers, it may be tough. They stick out a bit more.

Has anyone noticed the turning radius is not as tight as it should be? I havent measuerd it yet but my GSA turns tighter. Come to think of it., my dept RTP may have a better radius. Will give it a go on the course and will report back.

20210927_141112.jpg