BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. wilkey113

wilkey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Really Nice! Looks great.
    As for the engine guards, Wunderlich makes a great set, and also offers an extension kit of spacers and fasteners to accommodate the wider valve covers. I had to do the same for the 2V valve covers on my bike.

As for the turning radius, you're correct. I have an Urban GS and a GSA, and the GSA definitely has a better turning radius. They're just different bikes.

Enjoy your new bike, they're great machines, and the 40 Years livery is just awesome!
    Baloo likes this.
  2. LVmotorcop1

LVmotorcop1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I appreciate it.
    Baloo likes this.
  3. atctag

atctag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat with the bars. Does SW Motech also have adjustability ?
  4. wilkey113

wilkey113 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have any direct experience with the SW Motech bars. But if they use spacers between the bars themselves, and the mount points, then it seems to me that you could make bigger spacers and source longer fasteners, to accommodate. That's what the Wunderlich kit consists of. I had the stock valve covers on the bike originally, with the standard Wunderlich spacers / fasteners that came with the bars. And then when I mounted the 2V valve covers, I had to order the spacer kit. And all it is, is longer spacers and fasteners, that simply push the bars out a bit further to give more space for the wider valve covers.
    Hope that helps. SW Motech might not make a spacer kit like Wunderlich does, but it should still be possible.
  5. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    20 mm bar risers are easily had on Amazon for 25 dollars or less. I run sets on the urban and scrambler. I’m happy with the quality.
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the purchase!

I have the engine guards from SW-Motech and I'm sure they'd work as they don't cover the valve covers which is why I bought them, to make servicing easier. The previous owner had put different guards on that did go across the valve covers and had tipped it over and the covers got scratched up anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CBejbl and Baloo like this.
  7. LVmotorcop1

LVmotorcop1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm digging those engine bars....
  8. ParkedPatina

ParkedPatina Duke of ROFLs and LMAOs

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on those engine bars, mine cracked in two places (welds) after about 6 months (no crashing). Revzilla took em back.
  9. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me where they cracked? I understand the welds, but which ones and on both sides?

I'm wondering if it was related to vibration?
  10. NA2SA

NA2SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 3213519 [/QUOTE]
    LVmotorcop1,

Congrats on the bike, I'm looking at one myself!
    With all the comments about the suspension on previous models, how do you feel about it on this one?

Thanks
  11. Marcusbee

Marcusbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Danketchpel, What is the brand of rear rack you have on the bike?
    My apologies if you have stated previously, I've looked back through previous posts and can't see any info.
    Great set-up you have there.
  12. Baloo

Oddometer:
    46595519-8E38-4BAA-A3E4-DE44C4AD9B5B.jpeg
    I’m pretty sure he is running a hepco in Becker rear rack. I bought mine through Wunderlich but it can be purchased from other distributors as well. It’s a good solid rack I am running it on a scrambler.
  13. Marcusbee

Oddometer:
    Thanks Baloo, I'll check them out.
    Good to know as I was looking to attach it to a scrambler too.
  14. Baloo

Oddometer:
    The one thing you might want to consider. Although I like them very much they are not compatible with OEM BMW hangers for the soft Bmw bags or the SW Mo tech bags. I think unit garage has a rear rack that is very similar but it’s mounting points are not using the through bolt that holds that side plate on in the front.
    Marcusbee likes this.
  15. Marcusbee

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    Hadn't thought that far ahead, as I wasn't looking to use side bags at this stage.
    However, I'll take that into account now as it will certainly save some duplication (and money) in the future.
    Baloo likes this.
  16. NA2SA

NA2SA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stoked is an understatement!!!
    I took it out to Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson this morning, what a blast!
    599979B6-9819-43A1-A6AB-8703189BB9E8.jpeg 7A5F1953-854D-42A0-9960-4451A6AE8E89.jpeg
  17. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Bumblebee!!!!!
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's the Hepco & Becker tail rack. It's a pretty good rack, about the right size and sturdy. It came on the bike when I bought it but I'd replace it with the same one.

20210504_083602-1.jpg

20210504_083652-1.jpg
    Marcusbee likes this.
  19. Marcusbee

Oddometer:
    Thank you. And thanks for the additional photos.
  20. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike!

Looking at your bike reinforces my current effort to take my UGS down out of the stratosphere. That Wilber's +70 suspension is too tall, especially at the rear. I've shorted the shock some and lowered the rear about 1" from when I got the bike. I'm going to see if I can lower it another 1" or so in the rear. That might get it down to a realistic height. I'll adjust the forks in the triple clamps if I need to balance it out, but I think 1" lower in the rear will balance it out. I really want the bike more as a fun multi-use 90/10 Scrambler type bike and there's just no need for it to be up in the sky. If I were to do the suspension from scratch I would not use the Wilbers +70 setup.