BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wegimex, Nov 8, 2016.

1. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    What handling stories are you referring to specifically?
  2. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    The looks, feel, and sensation of riding it. That is what sells in the retro / scrambler market. None of these bikes are about spec sheet performance, all of them are about the experience.
  3. Fattytwocakes

Fattytwocakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't like coffee. I own one plaid shirt, and have for 12 years. I have had a beard for nearly 50 years and I only wear open face helmets. Now I am confused, wide eyed and legless, which may be slightly better than wide legged and eyeless, as to what I am. Too old to be a hipster. Too uncool to be a pirate, too uncaring about safety to be an ADV rider, according to some apparently. Too rigid in the body to be a canyon carver. Too slow to be a sportsbike rider. I am a motorcycling orphan with no two wheeled family to feel loved by. But families can be such tedious and needy things so, Yippee!:-)
    Gundy, BUZZARD II, jiml53 and 10 others like this.
  4. zuma

zuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're confused Fatty? I love coffee, own a stack of flannel shirts, have a beard about fifty percent of the time, but hate open face helmets. At least I'm neither wide eyed or legless. I've never been cool, but used to be a long haired hippy/motorcyclist back in the day. I think I'll go lay down in a dark room with a wet cloth over my face till I feel better.
  5. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I love it! Remind me of the HPN

[​IMG]

Xeroo likes this.
  6. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:

i owned a r nine t......"feel" and "sensation" were not words that came to mind when riding it, at least not with me.

i say it's about the looks.....the price point.....and the "fun" of riding a motorcycle (not to be confused with how the bike actually rides).

as for feel and/or sensation, i think the Italian bikes do a much better job in that regard.
    Tim_Tom likes this.
  7. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess "stories" is inaccurate. There are lots of reviews that note that the Scrambler doesn't handle as well as the Roadster.

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2017-bmw-r-ninet-scrambler-first-ride-motorcycle-review

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/motorcycles/bmw-r-ninet-scrambler-review/

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-r-ninet-scrambler-review

Of course, that doesn't mean it handles poorly. It's just something to take into account during a test ride. "Fun" is completely subjective, so if I'll have more overall fun on the Scrambler than on my current bike, then great. It's not even necessarily because of handling. It might be more fun to ride because it's lighter, simpler, feels cooler, and any number of reasons that are hard to quantify. For instance, on shorter rides, I still have more fun on my 1150 Rockster than on my GS LC, even though the latter bike is superior in pretty much every way.
    victor441, JimVonBaden and oalvarez like this.
  8. babble

babble human

Oddometer:
  9. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to admit I like all the Scramblers. I had a Triumph I wish I never sold. Like the Desert Sled but I'm probably too short for it and I like this BMW as well.

Keeping up with the customer "qualifications" concept, I am into coffee in a big way, as a commercial coffee roaster shares my garage with my bikes and my wife just came home from the mall and handed me a plaid shirt. However, whenever I grow a beard I age about 10 years and seeing as how I'm way too old to be classified as a "hipster" anyway, I never keep one long. Oh, and when I bought the Triumph Scrambler, my wife gave me an open face helmet to wear. I never took it out of the box. Still there. I wore those when I was 10 years old...no more.

Actually, my draw to the Scrambler styles comes from my childhood. The first "real" motorcycle I remember was my brother's Honda 305 Scrambler. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Been hooked on the look ever since. I rarely ever consider a bike based on looks; I almost always go for function...Scramblers are an exception. I dig the look.
    Tim_Tom likes this.
  10. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected.....thanks....it does appear that they've introduced an adjustable fork and a "new rear shock" (is it adjustable?), that and a revised swinger, Those seem like more important items. Having said that, the two shock components while improved or new could still function poorly. Time will tell. I would've liked to see real quality components used out if the factory but perhaps Ducati thought that it wouldn't sell well at a higher price. Too bad that seat.

But if I wanted a real dual sport neither of these bikes (r nine t, Duc scrambler) would fit my bill. If i was after fun commuters or run abouts, then I'd absolutely consider them.
  11. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kudos to BMW for these offerings.

Honda has done the same with their modern CB models and Africa Twin, updating their versions of the 70's and 80's classics. Ducati and MG have also released some nice models with touches of classic styling.

The updated versions speak to the staying power of the older versions and also probably justify-in the minds of m/c companies-this recent trend.

The 80 G/S was a real head scratcher when it was released-all these years later it sill holds value and still gets a tip of the cap for helping BMW get the whole GS movement. Nothing wrong with releasing a bike to honor that.

With so many of the 70's and 80's bike still on the road and enjoying a big fan base, no surprise to see styling trends playing off this.

Good time to be a m/c consumer.
    _mtg_ likes this.
  12. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    judging by the number of variants they have brought out on the 9T platform thus far they must be selling well & good for them, a far number of those sales are likely to non-BMW owners or owners who have not had a BMW in quite a while. BMW like many manufactures entered into a period of more-is-more which resulted in heavy, complicated, and expensive bikes. If you are really going to be going down to South America that may be needed, most riders tho are typically going a few hundred miles at best over terrain no more challenging than a fire road. For those purposes a simpler, lighter, less expensive bike is fine. That's what I think is fulling the retro thing really, a move away from Starwars-meets-Tesla back to simpler mounts that look like, well bikes. It's an air cooled boxer with shaft. This particular variant looks more 80's dirt bike which I prefer to the more designer influenced versions. Is it a technological tour de force? No, but it likely is a fine bike on its own merits and this line has me thinking about BMW for the first time in years which is likely the point. And yes, I have a beard, a flip-up, an a one piece Stich (no plaid tho).
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    How long before Aerostitch starts offering a plaid suit ? :lol2
    FLHTK likes this.
  14. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm ... lots of hate here. As someone who had already been riding for a few years when the first R80G/S came out I like this one a LOT. And as someone with a Wee Storm and DR650 I don't expect any bike, even a BMW, to be perfect off the floor. So maybe some suspension mods, etc will be needed. But I think this would be a great back road and dirt road bike. And lighter and arguably simpler than a GSW.
    yngwie1, Doc Dee and badmanners like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, for a lot less money, buy a low mileage Camhead GS. The weight is not much different, and you get a much more capable bike.

The "Urban" GS is not going to be like a GS at all in that it has no wind protection, engine protection, limited carrying capacity and poor suspension. It is, like the Triumph Scrambler, an Urban fun bike, or a short day trip bike. Strip off all the extras on a Camhead GS and you have an "Urban" GS that is better handling, and more comfortable. As for complexity, don't be fooled, it is still a very complex bike.

No hate, other than the looks, it is likely to be a decent bike for $15-16K
  16. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden camheads, and airheads and hex heads, and this one seems smaller/lighter/lower, all attributes which are getting more important to me as I age. And as I said, coming from Japanese bikes, I'm used to adding wind protection, engine protection and luggage. But I also tour on my DR650 and Ducati Monster :). Anyway, although I'm not a hipster I'm starting to fall for some of this retro stuff, getting nostalgic for the early '70's when I started riding. And this one (with spoked wheels) nails the looks - for me - in a way most of the other R9T's don't.
  17. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    I don't care what's it called, I don't care who it is supposed to be aimed at and all that. I don't care about the modern (and ugly imo) WC boxers. I like this bike:deal. The fact that BMW calls it 'urban' does not mean I can't take for trip to the alps or so. Riding bikes is about fun, this one feels like it will tick all the right boxes.
    I will not rush to my nearest BMW dealer to get one right away, but one never knows what the future holds. It is the first time I really consider buying a BMW.
    Just wished they would have stuck with LacRose concept looks.
    yngwie1, Elad, BjoernarBergen and 4 others like this.
  18. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fact is, BMW is selling a crap-load of R nine T's, these will no doubt move fast- I visited a local Ducati shop and it was full of riding stock, cob-webs and crickets... NOTHING was moving out of that store....Just sayin'.
    oalvarez likes this.
  19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    No doubt it will sell, BMW knows its market.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    So you have ridden one?

It weighs the same as an R9T, same power, same virtually everything, except lesser suspension and brakes. Adding wind protection, engine protection and luggage makes it a Camhead GS. Except it will be less capable/comfortable.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of the bike, just stating the facts as I see them. BMW will sell all they make, no doubt. I just don't think it is anything special unless you just like the look of it.
    oalvarez likes this.