BMW R NineT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    You are now the official tour guide of your area.
    OierXT likes this.
  2. tom2wheeler

tom2wheeler Lefty

Oddometer:
    BMW says on their website that the Scrambler has a more relaxed riding position.
    For those who have sat on both the original R NineT and the scrambler, is there much of a difference? I prefer a more upright riding position so am interested in the scrambler, but not to go off road.
  3. Baloo

Oddometer:
    I believe the main difference in the bikes his seat height. The frame is the same I think. Even though the one bike is called an urban GS doesn’t mean that it’s a dirtbike. The standard has better components like upside down forks and better brakes. They all have a neutral riding position except for the racer. I guess it all boils down to what style and look are you going for. The standard and pure are definitely more Road oriented and the scrambler and GS have a groomed dirt road advantage. That being said we all can push these bikes to their limits and feel that the capability of the bike is matched with our skill level. And that’s not accounting for drastic modifications such as longer suspension. I pulled the knobs off of my urban GS and ran Anakee adventures And found those to be quite fun. Also just adding a sheepskin and/or a bead rider to the seat a set of 35 mm risers change the feel of the bike quite a bit and you can go a little further by lowering your foot pegs. Good luck on any of your decisions I don’t think that there is a wrong one. This is just my opinion
    Red Sand likes this.
  4. flatlandjohnny

flatlandjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A believe the Scrambler has a larger front wheel than the Classic or Pure. I found the Classic a tiny bit more responsive.
    Red Sand and Baloo like this.
  5. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Yes it does. Ran into that problem in 15 when I wanted tubeless Alternative wheels for the standard. That’s the only thing that ever gave me anxiety on the road. Not being able to plug and play. The R 1200 RS of the same year or a little earlier wheels fit the standard only requiring a spacer. Still looking for a deal on a set of cast wheels to run on the Standard.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you call Std... :hmmmmm

If that's an earlier R9T with wider ABS ring (mounted using brake disk screws), air/oil-head R12R/S/RT/ST cast or even better forged wheels should work...
  7. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Yes that was called a standard ( at least in ‘14) It has the upgraded brakes which have a wider ring.
    R9T Standard. it’s kind of funny how when they came out with the R9T racer it didn’t have the upgraded suspension and brakes.
    Red Sand likes this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    BMW Marketing has worked magic on convincing buying motorcycling public that they're getting far more superior bike when in reality it wasn't... :D

I remember when R9T was originally introduced back in '14, it was touted as Limited Edition, one-year-only model, never to be reproduced ever again. And yet, some 8+ years later we've got entire Heritage family of various R9T bikes... :lol3
    Baloo, vagueout and Red Sand like this.
  9. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Lots of spare parts LOL
  10. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, very few r9t Scrambler or Turbans get ridden off road, most are ridden around as a street bike. A set of bar risers make a significant difference to riding position, I fitted a set to my Turban , they go up a little and back a little, much better for me than standard.:*sip*
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Urban and am scouting for a different bar riser option that moves them back more. I have the Wunderlich 20mm spacer riser on it now which raises them directly up, but not back any.

Which riser did you go with? I see a few options out there.
  12. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Wunderlich and a set of Dimotive risers. That did the trick for me. Link
  13. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Initially I had the simple spacers too, ie 20mm up. Then down the dark tunnel of Ali, ordered a copy of the up/back type, wrong ones sent, ordered from another vendor, I think on e- bay, from china anyway, correct fit but wrong bolts, so had to fart around for bolts. I'd have been better off just paying through the nose for a branded set. I have gone off buying Chinese knockoffs.:*sip*
  14. Baloo

Oddometer:
    I went with the Chinese knock off’s for $18.
  15. Baloo

Oddometer:
    Found a slightly used silencer. Made the switch. 66780B6F-3D9B-44E8-A651-200F649B11E2.jpeg A9C0A658-BA5C-47BB-8AC6-217B4BAB782F.jpeg 2403AA11-5A1F-49EF-91AD-14308894CAD0.jpeg
    OierXT likes this.
  16. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received the forks for my 2015 Classic back from Traxxion Dynamics via Ted Porter's BeemerShop. Traxxion Dynamics used mine as a prototype and installed their AK-20 Axxion cartridges as well as replaced the fork seals and also installed their fork caps with Preload and Rebound Dampening adjustments. I'll report back once I get these installed and let you know how I like them along with pics.

Oh, and for the rear... I'm going with a TFX 142 Rear Shock / Rebound, High & Low Speed Compression & Preload Adjustments
    https://traxxion.com/product/ak-20-axxion-motorcycle-fork-cartridge-kit/

Sneak peak. IMG_0777(1).jpg
    OierXT, flyaway and Baloo like this.
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Woodcliff Lake, NJ – July 1, 2021…BMW Motorrad USA Announces Updates And Changes To Model Year 2022 Motorcycles And Scooters As Well As The Addition Of New Accessories. Packages Have Been Streamlined And Revised Across The Lineup.

2022 BMW R nineT Pure
    • Base MSRP: $10,995
    • Expected arrival: Q4 2021
    • Mineral Grey Metallic is carried over as standard color.
    • Option 719 Aluminum is carried over as an optional color.
    • Option 719 Black Storm Metallic/Racing Red ($590) is carried over as optional color.
    • Option 719 Cosmic Blue Metallic/Light White ($590) is carried over as optional color.
    • Teal Blue Metallic Matte ($250) is carried over as an optional color.
    • No equipment changes

2022 BMW R nineT Scrambler

• Base MSRP: $13.495
    • Granite Grey Metallic is carried over as standard color.
    • Kalamata Metallic ($200) is carried over as an optional color.
    • Option 719 Black Storm Metallic/Racing Red ($590) is carried over as optional color.
    • Option 719 Cosmic Blue Metallic/Light White ($590) is carried over as optional color.
    • New optional off-road tires.
    • Updated Select Package ($1,000) includes:
    • Ride Modes Pro
    • Heated Grips
    • Cruise Control
    • Adaptive Headlight
    • Headlight Pro (new)
    • Dynamic Engine Brake Control
    • Dynamic Traction Control

2022 BMW R nineT

• Base MSRP: $15,945
    • Black Storm Metallic is carried over as standard color.
    • Option 710 Aluminum Matte ($1,000) is carried over as optional color.
    • Option 719 Night Black / Aluminum Matte ($1,100) is carried over as optional color.
    • Option 719 Mineral White Metallic/Aurum ($1,050) is carried over as optional color.
    • Updated Select Package ($1,000) includes:
    • Ride Modes Pro
    • Heated Grips
    • Cruise Control
    • Adaptive Headlight
    • Headlight Pro (new)
    • Dynamic Engine Brake Control
    • Dynamic Traction Control
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  18. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got back from vacation and put the new shock and forks on the 9T. I did a quick ride around the neighborhood and they feel much better than the stock.

IMG_1125.jpg IMG_1127.jpg IMG_1128.jpg IMG_1126.jpg
    fastring and Red Sand like this.
  19. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long did it take to do,the shock/forks job?
  20. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Speaking from experience, make sure to get enough preload in the rear shock. I was use to 20-25% sag on other bikes. Wilbers suggests only 10-15% for street. That like 0.5". As delivered, I think I had like 3X that amount. If you don't get enough preload it, it will blow through the shock travel and feel harsh on big hits, because it hits the rubber bump stop. More pre-load =plusher ride for me.

I also set my ride height at the maximum. Handles so much better now. I should have gotten the extended version.
    Baloo and DirtMerchant like this.