BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised if you can find any trustworthy data on this issue. BMW must know of only a percentage of the afflicted bikes, because many owners, like myself, repair their bikes using the aftermarket upgrade +6mm clutch disk. 38,000 miles and a new clutch required. Bugs the shit out of me. I have been told that the issue stems from a manufacturing defect that resulted in misalignment between the engine and transmission. Judging from the looks of my OE clutch splines, I would say that is spot on. To my knowledge, the proper fix requires the front cover to be removed from the transmission and bolted to the engine. A dial indicator is affixed to the crankshaft and front cover runout is measured to determine the amount and direction of misalignment. Then, a machine shop is sourced to make some offset dowels that will correct the alignment. Front cover back on with new dowels in place to verify the repair, transmission reassembled, new clutch installed. Easy peasy. Shit.

Of course an alternative is to replace the clutch disk and hope for the best. That's what I did this time. At 76,000 miles, I will have a choice to make, and by that time, input spline damage might require transmission disassembly anyway.
  2. south east okie

south east okie Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My plan is to ride it thru the summer and hope it last all summer. Pull it down and install the +6mm clutch.

I would like to hear from folks on here that have high mileage on the 1150 OEM clutch. Might give me hope:photog
    Idrinktea likes this.
  3. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
    I have a 2004 with 94,000 miles. Original clutch. Looked at the splines once, about 50,000 miles ago. I may look again, sometime.
  4. south east okie

Oddometer:
    Gives me hope Spoon:lol3
    gusable likes this.
  5. Idrinktea

Idrinktea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was the picture when I did the clutch in my 1150. You can see the longer splines on the new clutch plate. The old clutch wasn't gone, it was working fine. The splines looked fine. [] [ IMG_20210130_143853.jpg IMG_20210123_155803.jpg ]that was at around 63000 miles
  6. Biff's R

Biff's R Hill William

Oddometer:
    I had 87,000 on the original clutch on my 1150 R when I sold it three years ago. I know several others who were in the same mileage range that didn’t have any issues, and one friend who traded his in with 165,000 and no issues if I recall correctly.
  7. south east okie

Oddometer:
    I thought it was hit or miss . You guys have given hope. I'm 63 and only ride 5-8 k miles a year so this little 1150 might last me 10 yrs. That's my hope :clap
    If not I'll fix it .
  8. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    south east okie likes this.
  9. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    It's a small percentage overall. Internet embellished.
    south east okie likes this.
  10. Idrinktea

Idrinktea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    south east okie and elmontanero like this.
  11. EZ OUT

EZ OUT Sneaky Slow Cheap Bastid

Oddometer:
    Great to have non OEM options for parts. For my Triumph Sprint, we had a sticky thread listing all possible part substitutions which was really nice.
    One of the sources for ss fuel fittings was a US company called Colder which makes the fittings for water systems.
    Idrinktea and south east okie like this.
  12. Idrinktea

Idrinktea Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I in all seriousness couldn't justify paying €70+ for the metal ones. I found a place that do a pattern connector ( in plastic) but even that is pricey enough when the P+P is added in. I have found a few money saving items now for the 1150.
    south east okie and EZ OUT like this.
  13. Zodena

Zodena n00b

Oddometer:
    This will be a long one, but I want to provide as much detail and backstory as I can.

So I've been having some issues with my r1150r. I've had it for a couple of months and it ran just fine in the beginning. After a month or so It fired up just as usual, but then stalled (due to no choke i assumed at the time). but after that it was stone dead. the battery seemed fine, the engine turned over. so I pulled the spark plugs and put them against the cylinder head to look for a spark. there was none.

I eventually managed to get a barely visible spark against the cylinder head a few days later with the battery fully charged, and help from jumper cables to a car battery. after some troubleshooting which I will mention below, I eventually got myself a fresh high-end battery, new ignition coil, ignition cables and spark plugs. after replacing the old parts, I was relieved to see strong consistent sparks. and the bike fired right up with no issue.

1 week and about 100 miles later, I'm out on a ride with no issues what so ever, and decide to accelerate a bit more aggressively than I had previously done. i cranked it up to between 5-6k rpm, and can't recall accurately what happened, but I suddenly lost all power, and the engine was not running when I came to a halt. I tried to fire it up with no luck.
    (Note that I may have had low fuel at the time, but not empty)

After checking what my knowledged allowed, I found nothing broken with the engine itself.

-Compression test showed 9 bar in both cylinders.
    -Fuel pump/injectors were running fine.

So I once again put the spark plugs against the cylinder, this time with a somewhat decent spark but very irregular. Fully charged the battery overnight (showed over 13 Volts) and repeated. This time with no spark.

With a good battery, fresh plugs/cables/coil. I've run out of ideas. My only guess would be that the new coil somehow got destroyed aswell, if that was the issue to begin with.

I'll add some details below. Will appreciate any thoughts or input about what could be wrong.

- Low mileage, 38000km
    - all indicators working, and nothing out of the ordinary.
    - Tachometer is moving consistently when attempting to start the engine.
    - fuel pump runs, and I can feel the injectors ticking aswell.
  14. PNWRR

PNWRR A study in Mopishness

Oddometer:
    One assembly issue often mentioned shortly after their (R1150**) release referred to tightly zip-tied wire bundles at the steering neck. Owners would loosen the wire bundles to relieve the stresses particularly nearest the ignition/keylock. Have a look at these bundles and loosen as necessary. It's free and might solve your cutting out issue. Just maybe, YMMV. WFC

:drink
    RockBurner and gusable like this.
  15. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your symptoms suggest a wonky Hall Effect Sensor (HES). This is a pretty well documented issue with the 1150's. Problem has to do with the wire insulation, rather than the sensor itself. You can have yours reconditioned, or you can purchase OE or an aftermarket HES sensor. The sensor sits behind the front pully (under the front plastic cover). Replacement is pretty straightforward, but there are 2 styles of connector (oval or rectangular), and you'll need to remove the tank to determine which connector you have before you order an OE or aftermarket sensor. You should be able to do this yourself. There is plenty of guidance available on the internet.
    TonyKZ1 and south east okie like this.
  16. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up this 2020 demo model with 300 miles for 22% off the original MSRP. I've put 350 miles on it so far and don't regret it yet. I might need to get a taller seat or lower the pegs to adjust for my bum knees.

PXL_20210616_164010061.jpg
    r0ckrat, fastring, gusable and 7 others like this.
  17. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    ^ Congrats...:clap
    That.guy likes this.
  18. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I got lucky and my parabellum scout i ordered while back is back on the table. Their fiberglass guy is sick and out of commission. Well they found one left in the back of the shop. Mine might be the last available. Don’t know. I’m excited nonetheless! 5BDDCD63-8DC9-4679-B66B-FE0A367C462C.jpeg
    r0ckrat, south east okie and davidji like this.
  19. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    That's one giant tall screen - glad it works for you... :thumb
  20. gusable

gusable Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the 20 inch. This photo is off the internet. Not my bike. Best I can tell the 20 will be mouth level. Might wait to get through texas summer before install