BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Congrats and post pics once you get it!! :clap
  2. Misaligned

Misaligned The Dude abides.

Oddometer:
    On the standard seat the leg position was a little cramped for me at 6'1" with a 32" inseam. The dealer offered to modify the seat for me at no extra charge and added a bit of extra padding to bring it up to roughly the height of the tall seat. I had initially thought I might need a peg lowering kit but it feels pretty good now so going to ride it the way it is for a while. Took another ride this morning before the triple digit heat sets in, love it!
    bigfatkahuna, r0ckrat and elmontanero like this.
  3. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming from my 75G0GS to the 1250R I've noticed that slow speed maneuvers are much more difficult. This seems to stem from change in seating position. With the GS there was almost no body weight forward on the bars so cranking them over and balancing the turn with my upper body was pretty easy. On the 1250R a significantly larger amount of body weight is leaned forward onto the bars so cranking them the opposite direction from my lean is awkward. The old continuous figure eights in the space of two parking spots is going to take a lot more work to get down again on the R.
    south east okie likes this.
  4. TryHard-M8

TryHard-M8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I decided to swap my GIVI47 too box for a much smaller OEM 30liter top box. I ordered the factory primed lid and had it painted to match the bikes Thunder Grey colour.

IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
  5. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    This morning when I started the 1150 the red voltage light was on. The small volt meter I installed showed 11.6 volts even when I raised the RPM’s. This was with a fully charged battery.
    A moment later the light went off and the voltage jumped to 13.8.
    This is the second occurrence and doesn’t happen every time. Only change over the winter was adding a central fuse block for Acc.
    Alternator belt was replaced less than 5000 miles ago by Dealer for P.O.

Thoughts?
  6. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    All of my 1150's and 1100's alt light stays on when I first start the bikes until I rev it up a little. Never thought to much about it and never tested the output.
    gusable and south east okie like this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    How old is the battery and when was it load tested last time?

Majority of similar issues like yours usually end up with the battery as a culprit - old and/or not holding charge and/or not getting charged and/or etc...

Worth looking into first - GL :thumb
  8. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Mmm, I will have to check this out.
    Never had the light come on before.
    JUST took the battery off the maintainer before starting it.
    Seemed like something in the charging system as it was instantaneous. Thanks guys, will report what I find.
  9. k6wee

k6wee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All the 1100/1150 I've ridden do that. My classic cars do it too. These bikes have a regular car style alternator and we were taught in automotive electrical was that on startup you need to hit a higher than idle rpm to "excite" the coils and get the alternator working. If you normally give your bike throttle or have the fast idle adjusted so it works really really well you probably hit that rpm on startup without noticing it. Totally normal behavior as far as I'm concerned and I own/have owned 7 of these bikes.
    cide1 and Swamper like this.
  10. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Great to hear, I will just ride long and hard. Come to think of it, even with the fast idle lever pulled up it did not idle higher at initial start up. Thanks to all, carry on.
    Swamper likes this.
  11. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost bought that exact bike a couple of months back. Ended up with a trade in 2020 in the bronze metallic. Mine has the suburban Machinery peg lowering kit installed by the previous owner, I have a 34 inch inseam and they work OK, any lower and the pegs would hit the ground. With a sheepskin on the stock seat it's not too bad. The bike has the optional two tone seat and I like it, so trying to avoid changing the seat out.
    Misaligned likes this.
  12. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got home from my first ride home from work at night and the halogen headlights on my 2020 1250R are absolute trash. On a dark road with no street lights it's really not safe to go faster than 45mph because you just can't see in front of you. The high beam just makes a big splash of light about two feet in front of the bike and on trees about 30 feet above the bike but does nothing to throw anymore light out onto the road in front you or around the periphery. My 2019 750GS had a factory LED unit that actually lit the road in front of you and with the high beam clearly illuminated several hundred yards of the road and a large area out to the sides. I was disappointed with the headlight being halogen just for the looks but figured it would still do a decent job at being a headlight. It doesn't look good or light good, basically a waste of space on the front of the bike.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ You could explore getting LED bulbs for your R... Or, add some aux LED lighting... Or, ideally both...
  14. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Similar issue with my 2013 G650 GS. Manufacturers seem to making headlight assemblies on vehicles that “look cool” when parked and don’t work for sh*t when you actually need them at night. :nah
    That big round, and cool looking, chrome headlight on the R1150R is the best Motorcycle headlight I’ve had.
  15. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    IMAG0184.jpg

Like this? IMAG0184.jpg
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ Yes except your bulb is burnt - ain't shinin' no light... :D
  17. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Not burnt, just off. With a fine insect patina.
  18. TryHard-M8

TryHard-M8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a question about my LC screen set-up. I have an OEM touring screen and an MRA wind deflector. However, I found the screen quite noisy, even with the wind deflector. After a fair bit of head-scratching and trial & error, I worked out the more airflow needed to be directed under the screen. With the OEM screen (both sports & touring versions) the bottom lip is angled down towards the instrument cluster so there’s little to no airflow passes under the screen. So, my fix was to put 35mm spacers between the screen creating a reasonable gap to allow air to flow under the screen. However, to divert are under the screen, I knocked up a air scoop and while I was at it make the scoop to fix the very annoying headlight reflection effect on the screen for night riding (if that makes sense). Anyway, here's a few pix of my screen mods.

View attachment 3053159
    View attachment 3053160

Attached Files:

19. EZ OUT

EZ OUT Sneaky Slow Cheap Bastid

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you have to ask the obvious. Are you sure its aimed properly? Mine was pointed at the ground when I got it. Adjusted it and now its a lighthouse. :ricky
    r0ckrat and Rick G like this.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A halogen reflector is pretty basic. You’ll note that 0 halogen reflector (and basically 0 LED reflector) headlights do well in IIHS’s headlight evals. Projectors are massively better, which is why most quality aftermarket drop in upgrades use them. I remember riding behind my friend on a dark VT fall night on forest surrounded roads, and my Tenere 1200’s projectors outshined his stock hexhead GS despite the distance I was behind him (to say nothing of the outboard pointing LED aux lights).

All that to say I don’t expect anything more then “adequate” from a single round reflector on my new R.