BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some quick interneting says that the 1250R housing is too small and tight for LED bulbs. They generally don't perform well when just dropped into a halogen reflector anyway. Aux led lighting is likely the next step for me.

I plan to check it just to be sure, but the low beam seemed to have a decent cutoff to the front and sides, it was just way too dim. The high beam just pukes light out with practically no focus to the beam at all though.
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Is it like this or better than this one?

[​IMG]

If similar either way, I'm sure peeps sharing the road with you appreciate you blinding them w yer "lighthouse"... :D
  3. EZ OUT

EZ OUT Sneaky Slow Cheap Bastid

Oddometer:
    Uh iui
  4. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on your findings so I can upgrade mine after all your hard work of research!

I did see these mentioned in a post in this thread a month or two ago and the guy was pretty happy with them... https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R1250_R_LED_Auxiliary_Microflooters_Black
  5. That.guy

Oddometer:
    First up is a set of new/better H7 bulbs. The cheapest, easiest and quickest upgrade for at least a little bit better performance.

https://www.amazon.com/generation-b...&keywords=osram+h7+bulb&qid=1625056874&sr=8-6

The Wunderlich kit looks nice but I always hate strapping expensive lights onto a bike where they will likely break if it's tipped over. There's not a lot of options out there for the 1250R though so I might end up with that.
  6. TryHard-M8

TryHard-M8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the Wunderlich Micro Flooters on my last three bikes and wouldn’t hesitate to get another set if and when I upgrade my ‘17RLC. Although I consider them a fog rather than a driving light. Fantastic for rain/fog or increased viability and will not blind oncoming traffic.

IMG_0296.jpg
    Misaligned, CbDude, rich_mc and 2 others like this.
  7. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe check to make sure the lamp elements are properly installed and seated? If not seated correctly, the beam will be out of focus.

Amazing to me that a premium manufacturer can overlook proper lighting, but I think BMW is known for it. Maybe the aftermarket pays them to keep their poor lighting...
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I think you're onto sumtin there - if only that can be substantiated... :hmmmmm
  9. TryHard-M8

Oddometer:
    Here's a small clip I took demonstrating the effectiveness of the air scoop to stop the headlight reflection on the bikes windscreen.

SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  10. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a left screw nut? BMW quit carrying them. No way to get the right mirror right without it.

Pisses me off mightily.
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ What are you referring to as "left screw nut"? This?

upload_2021-7-2_9-25-54.png
  12. That.guy

Oddometer:
    The bulbs in there were seated properly and looked aim pretty much correctly. I swapped the Osrams in just now. I tried getting before and after pictures but with the camera adjusting for the lighting it doesn't do much. The OEM low bulb seem brighter in the picture with a lot of light all around the foreground. The Osrams have a noticeably better and much more definitive cutoff line. On high the OEM had a huge bright spot on the wall and the Osrams have a focused and intense spot. If the weather holds out I will go out after dark and see how it performs in real life and not in my garage with the lights off.

Interestingly, the owner's manual says the high and low beams are both LED and can't be changed. Guess whoever wrote it just assumed BMW didn't take a step backwards in technology compared to previous bikes and years.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    That's strange that OM calls out LED lo/hi beam on Roadster as that hasn't been the case up to and incl. '21... :dunno

GS/As were the only Boxers w LED lights (w optional Premium Package) since get-go - RT got them for '21 and not sure if RS got them too... :hmmmmm

'21 Roadster OM cleary states the bulbs are H7:

upload_2021-7-2_22-14-29.png
  14. That.guy

Oddometer:
    It is weird for sure. Pictured below is the physical manual I got with the bike. If I look up the manuals on BMWs website the one I have is listed as for 03/2019 onward. The newer version listed for 09/2020 onward has the H7 bulbs listed.

PXL_20210703_035943695.MP.jpg PXL_20210703_035718458.jpg PXL_20210703_035932889.jpg

Here's the night pictures with the new bulbs and headlight adjustment. It's probably 50% better due to the bulbs and 50% to adjusting the aim point. It's still nowhere near as good as the LEDs on the old GS but a huge improvement over what I was dealing with the other night. I took the pictures without any of the night mode settings turned on so they're a fairly accurate representation.

Low:

PXL_20210703_033515541.jpg

High:

PXL_20210703_033521494.jpg
  15. TryHard-M8

Oddometer:
    I was asked by a couple of forum members to post some close-up pix of my screen modifications and air scoop. Apologies for doubling up previously posted images.

IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg

35mm spacers to put our screen and create a larger air gap.
    IMG_0705.jpg

Scoop directs airflow under the screen and reduced buffering around my helmet and shoulders. Also, eliminates the headlight beam reflecting on the screen at night.
    IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg
    Below YouTube clip showing no HighBeam on without reflecting on the screen. I got caught out on a trip away as I try to avoid night riding in regional areas but it was a good opportunity to test out the scoop - no headlight reflecting on the screen.

Daz the Aussie likes this.
  16. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Back home here in California after our 4,000 mile MOA Montana ride. Bikes ran great the hole trip. The Tractive shocks worked well, only took two years to get shocks that worked properly from Ted. The Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires are a big improvement over the Michelin 5's I had for our earlier 4,000 mile trip. The Dunlops handled everything as well and aren't worn out, no cupping or flat spot, they were about half the price of the Michelins we used on our Colorado ride. Talked to the Michelin guys at their booth at the MOA and basically they said we rode too hard in the turns and used the front brake to much to have them wear like that. We looked at a lot of tires at the MOA and it really seemed like the Michelins just wear in the front with a lot of cupping showing. Probably going to try the Dunlop Roadsmart 4 next as the Rep gave use a $100. rebate coupon. Also talked with the Metzler/Pirelli Rep, seems the Metzeler Road Tec 01 could also be a good choice. He also stated the Angel GT's are still great but the 2's not so much for the USA highways.
    The 1150 R's will require some overdue maintenance now after our two trips this summer on them.
    DSC_0716[1].JPG DSC_0728[1].JPG DSC_0750[1].JPG DSC_0690[1].JPG DSC_0765[1].JPG
  17. That.guy

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210706_161847673.jpg
    bigfatkahuna, svahadean and BR0 like this.
  18. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Curious, did the cupping ever actually result in any noticeable degradation in ride or handling, or was it visual? I see a lot of people talk about cupping, and I have had it on nearly every tire I have ever used. Front and rear. I've never had any handling or ride degradation because of it. Maybe the quick wear was your main concern?

I've wondered about RoadSmarts, as I too cringe about the price of the Road 5s. I had a bad experience with Dunlops a decade back. The put out a pure trash tire called the D220 that didnt handle well and wore in like 1/3rd the mileage of other competition. Buddy had the same experience with that tire recently on a long trip where that is all he could get for replacement. Then again, I realize rubber compounds have come a long way in 10 years, so maybe I should give them a chance again. My alternates have been Pirelli and Metzler recently, Pirelli being a equal to the Road 5's in performance.

Congrats on your trips, nice photos!
  19. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    An update on the Continental Road Attack 3 tires I have on my 2011 Roadster.

Performance wise, they were awesome. Very predictable handling. Easy turn in. Holds a line. No issues on wet roads. Handled a few dirt and gravel roads (Thanks Mr. Garmin!) just fine.

Just returned from a weekend away and discovered my back tire is shot at just shy of 6000 miles. A little disappointing as I got about 7500 miles on 2 different sets of Angel GT's.

You can see the center of tire just starting to break through to cords.

[​IMG]

Wear bar nearly flush. Another bar was completely flush. Yep, the tire is toast even with the lovely tread on the sides. That happens when you live in a flat and straight area and need 100 miles or more to get to the good roads.

Now the front doesn't look as bad. Plenty of tread left all over, but noticeable cupping. Easily felt with hand. Not the worst I have seen, but still there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it is time to shop for tires. Torn between just buying a C RA3 rear and run the front for another 5-6000 miles or get a complete set as I normally do. I always hate ditching a decent tire.

Been shopping tires on line and there are good pricing for new 2 year old tech tires such as Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and Metzler Z6.

Any suggestions for a set under $300? I will need to pay another $100 or so for install so my total target is $400.

Thanks
  20. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I had used the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's and they weren't very good at all. I swore off using Dunlops for a long time. Was using Pirelli Angel GT's for the longest time probably about 4 sets and loved everything about them even the mileage. Then went on an extended ride with the Angel GT's and both bikes experienced flats, one unrepairable as it created a bubble on the tread area. So decided to look at the other tires available on the market and tried Dunlop Roadsmarts again, this time the 3's after looking at their reviews and talking with the Dunlop Rep. The Rep admitted the 2's weren't very good but the 3's were a total redesign and corrected all the previous problems with the 2's. The 3's are a great tire. I've put two sets now on the R1150R I ride on extended trips and they have been very good. When I get them worn out I'll be trying the 4's, the same Dunlop Rep was at the MOA told me again they are an improvement over the 3's.
    On the other R1150R we had on a new set of Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact's and they performed equally as well as the Dunlops showing about the same amount of wear on our MOA Ride. I'd rebuy them again but the Metzeler Rep said the 01 are an improvement with newer technology, probably will buy them in the future, they have a rebate offer $50.00 right now, July thru August.
    I do have the Continentals RA3's on another bike (S1000XR) and really like the way they handle, don't know about the wear yet as they are fairly new. I've use the Sport 4 models and were great but only go about 3,000 miles which was expected.
    For me I have found that all the current tires have great handling, some are a little quicker in the steering response Michelin and Pirelli. The Dunlops and the Continentals seem to be a bit slower but track just as well. The Michelins wore with cupping which effected the the handling at the 3,000 mile mark and down to the wear bars at 4,000 miles on the front tire. The rear was squared off at the same amount of miles which did effect the corner also.
    20210626_142309.jpg 20210626_142243.jpg 20210626_142339.jpg 20210630_152505.jpg 20210627_114339.jpg 20210620_131616.jpg
    bpd459, k6wee and Rick G like this.