BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    There isn't? Well, maybe for you there isn't and that's fine...

XR hasn't made it to my garage yet and it's not on the short list for the future either - not everyone is overly thrilled and enthused w buzzy 4 cyl chain driven XR, ymmv...
  2. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    A thread for R bikes?

50571D32-472F-47CF-AC15-3843A016E01E.jpeg D79EDE87-2D20-4073-B034-88C1AFF78573.jpeg
  3. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I understand you opinion about the XR. Having 31,000 miles on mine and my son having 25,000 on his I can say it's the best bike we have ever ridden.
    The vibration is much less than any of my R bike or my Harleys. The Chain drive has been trouble free and you can replace chains a lot less than a final drive.
    I have taken numerous long rides on all my bikes and by far and away the XR would be my personal 1st choice.
    I love my R bikes also or I wouldn't have collected so many and use them so much. As I've posted I've taken two 4,000+ mile rides this year on my R1150R.
    Yesterday I went to the Progressive Bike Show at Sonoma Raceway. BMW wasn't present with test rides, all the other major motorcycle manufactures seemed to be. I tested Kawasaki and Yamaha, looking for another option for a better track Day bike. I'd like to use my R1100S but would hate to have something happen to it. DSC_0528.JPG
  4. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ Nice BCR you got there...:thumb

If you like R11S and don't want to use yours for track days, you could acquire a spare one for track only days and replace one of your Beaksters. There are couple of R11Ss currently in Flea Market - Bikes for sale and also check Pelican Boards R1100S section for sale. As long as the trans splines are ok, great R Boxer bikes!
  5. Swamper

Oddometer:
    I'm currently negotiating on a 2004 BCR R1100s now for the track days. I hope the seller works with me. It's really what I'd like for the last few years I have to ride on the track.
    If you recall I'm pressing one of my R1150R's for the track but really the pegs are a big problem. I'd like to stay with a BMW (R) but if I bought a new R1250RS I'd have the same problem, wouldn't want to scuff up a new bike. Pushing 70 years I just can't get in enough riding in before I can't anymore, 54 years now. Started out with a 48 Indian Scout. This bike in the pictures is only so good, looking for some Rockster bars. I think they will be a little better in the turns. 15 ponies more would certainly hold off those 600 Jap bikes in the straights, so a 1100S would solve that I think.
    GBME8538.JPG
    Mobiker and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. Swamper

Oddometer:
    Oh yah, I just can't seem to let go of any of my bikes. I guess it's an addiction but I just love all of them. I do exercise all of them and have a few of them on Hagerty's Insurance with my old collector cars so they don't cost much.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '08 R1200R running great, good tires, new battery, full service, etc. with 78k miles on it sat on Marketplace for 2 months at $3500 starting price with not one person wanting to come and take a look. I started riding it more and decided I liked it so much I would rather keep it then keep dropping the price. (My '12 R1200R isnt for sale, I'm keeping that one...).
    equ, SmittyBlackstone and TonyKZ1 like this.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    People get scared when it’s over about 30k miles I think.
  9. Swamper

Oddometer:
    The mileage on used bikes does effect it's selling appeal. I think it's more because there seems to be so many being sold with lower mileage that have just been ridden sparingly by want-a-bee in the club owners.
  10. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Started shopping for a GSA to add to the driveway.

My Roadster is still doing fine, just finally realizing that its not the right tool for the job: BDRs and other foolishness. Sure its led me down some seriously troublesome goat paths, but modifying it further will simply make it less of what it is - a seriously fun do almost anything bike. At 150k its more than paid its dues, and asks for little in return.

Sigh. GSAs are so damned expensive :lol3
    SmittyBlackstone and cblais19 like this.
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    If you're on a budget, you can start w used ones still in a good shape like '16 and up LC GSAs - they're going for ~ half of what new one is (short of TFT, 1250 engine and few other doohickeys) while providing virtually the same riding experience...

If that's out of reach, '12-'13 Camhead GSA (especially w Enduro trans option) can be great first GSA - less creature comforts than LC but still tons of fun...
    SmittyBlackstone and Patch like this.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    '12 and '13s sure are the sweet spot right now, simplistic (as compared to the new 1250s) and still have parts support. And man, I just love that motor.

It will also become my LD rally platform, so considering all gens - including sucking it up and buying new. I average 30k a year on my rally bike and thats where new(er) makes sense.

My FJR will be going up for sale. Maybe. :lol3
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    If going new, that's even better... Check the BMW site for current offers: Q3 Retail Offer | BMW Motorrad (bmwmotorcycles.com)

If there are still unsold '20s, now it's time to hit it - good luck :thumb
    SmittyBlackstone and Patch like this.
  14. amos100

amos100 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Agree on the lack of buzz. I have appx 17000 on my 2019 XR and the thought of buzz never enters my mind except when I read these bikes have it. Not mine. Now my 2015 R9t - that had vibration, buzz and more in the handlebars, suspension and more. Fun bike that I rode for 21k mile, but my 1250r shiftcam beats it in every department.
  15. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    i gotta get outa socal.....but then when would i ride? not whenever i WANT that's for sure.
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Don't have to take drastic measures and move out - just get out of So CA to buy the bike and then you ride it back home... Problem solved... :D
    SmittyBlackstone, r0ckrat and Dorzok like this.
  17. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suppose, with a bike of that vintage. cost of the plane ticket be cheaper than the price difference AND gotta get one for vacation anyway. For NOW kalifornia allows 49 state bikes in with 7,500+ miles on the odo. but who knows if they'll ever rescind those registrations like Main has for the Delica .
  18. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    New-er bikes should be all-states compliant, incl. CA, and there should be a sticker on the bike confirming that for when you go to register the bike purchased out of state...

As I'm not in CA, you'll have to double check all those details w your local DMV before goin' shoppin'... :thumb

I'd go for the newest bike, w least mi and most farkles within your budget. That said, I'd skip R1150 and go for the R12s, Camhead '10-'14 / R9T before Hexhead in any shape but definitely post '07 mfg. year...
    equ and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  19. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my ‘11 classic, but did n’t at first. In fact, I listed briefly soon after buying it.
    Had to install peg lowering and bar risers and a comfort seat to dial in the ergonomics and put plugs in it and adjust the valves to eliminate some roughness. I have no regrets. The motor is so strong and as happy at 3k as at 7k.
    Check the filler and final drive for rust. Let us know if you buy and post a picture please.
    equ likes this.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ What color springs (suspension) do you have on yours? White-grey-ish or yella??

Rumor on the street is that those w yella springs are much fasterer than the others... :D