BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Just for you Lead Wrist. I have removed the Ohlins from that S, boxed them up and they are off already to Ohlins USA for a rebuild and set-up for my weight and riding. Hope to have them back in about 4 weeks time.
    Rick G likes this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yellow springs on a Classic would be an atrocity, and look pretty terrible on that 1200S too. I went with black over titanium for my order instead. I’m not convinced there’s a measurable difference in the consumer suspension side of things.

But hey, I guess if yellow makes you happy in the pants…
    Patch likes this.
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    That's the way it was supposed to be done... :beer

Have you inspected the trans splines at the clutch? Since you have BCR, I'm sure you're aware of their Achillies heel w splines? Hope is all a-ok there...
  4. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Yellow springs comments are somewhat of an internal joke in this thread - not sure if you knew that or not. Yellow being the trade mark of having Ohlins suspension which is one of the best aftermarket suspensions in the business...

If you don't think that yellow would compliment the bike overall colors, you could paint/powder-coat the springs to whatever color you'd want - it's not the color of the springs, it's the suspension springs are attached to that matters...

As for you not being convinced that there's measurable difference in OE vs. Ohlins suspension, well, you're one of rare ones w that opinion. Highly likely you've never ridden 2 otherwise identical bikes, back to back, w only difference being the suspension. Once you do, you'll know what I'm referring to...

If you scroll few pages back of this thread, you'll find that exact comparison - 2 red '11 Roadsters, with VINs just two digits apart, one w Ohlins and one w OE.

The owner/operator of OE suspension Roadster was non-believer like you but admitted the defeat. After riding Ohlins equipped Roadster, his words were that the bike was handling as if "on rails". If he wasn't cheap as he is, he'd have Ohlins on his bike already - but we're still working on him to change his mind...
    Rick G likes this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant between the various offerings in the aftermarket around the same price point (my color choice was Nitron). Ohlins gives you the advantage of widely available service centers, and I guess flashy colors showing you have fancy shocks, and little else until you’re at the upper echelons of racing. I’d anticipate a bike running properly set up and adjusted wilbers or TTX or whatever to be just as excellent.

But we all know BMWs are about showing off after all, and can’t do that properly without yellows right? :p
  6. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's that green H in the top left of your TFT?

Edit: Nevermind, my lazy ass opened up the owners manual and looked it up. My 2020 has never shown that before.
  7. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    It's spectacular is what it is... never before would I have thought it was something I needed but now will never wanna live without it... (that might be a stretch)...

Try it next time... after stopped, just squeeze a little harden and then let go...
    That.guy likes this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Some of us have to do it old-fashion-way - hold the brake pedal and use clutch friction zone to accomplish what Hill-Assist does... What a drag... :lol3

Kidding aside, is your brake light lit when you engage Hill Assist? I hope it is - that's why my foot is on the brake pedal anyway even on flat ground... :-)
    rich_mc likes this.
  9. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    To be honest, that's a question I ask myself about every time I use it.... I'm sure it probably does, but keep meaning to look and haven't.... in fact, I'm gonna walk my lazy ass down to the garage right now and check....

EDIT- Checked and yes the brakelight does stay illuminated until you add power and roll off the clutch to start moving.
    Swamper likes this.
  10. Swamper

Oddometer:
    The Ohlins comment is very true, all the others are still chasing them.
    Having shocks serviced at Ohlins USA is much less expensive than a Ohlins service dealer, about half as much. Plus you know your getting Ohlins parts as well as receiving a guarantee on them.
    Rick G likes this.
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Ty for the feedback - now I have to find the way to justify selling my old bike and getting new one w Hill Assist icon on fancy TFT display... :D
    rich_mc likes this.
  12. Swamper

Oddometer:
    Where is 0 0 0 0 ???
  13. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did someone say cheap? :D
    My 2011 stock suspension is likely past its prime but it still rides better than a lot of other bikes I've tried. Like hard-tails :lol3
    The cost just isn't worth it to me. If I didn't like the way it rode, I'd sell it.

:lol3

Yeah ... need that new exhaust, new seat, new shocks, lighter wheels ... the list goes on and on
  14. Swamper

Oddometer:
    Any worn out shocks will probably still give a nice ride. The new shocks for me are all about how they make the bike handle. You don't realize what a difference they make until you change them. Sort of like putting on a new set of tires but multiplied times 10. (X 10).
    I do understand the worth of it, they are expensive.
    SmittyBlackstone, Rick G and Patch like this.
  15. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    20210728_111524.jpg
    Please advise as to how I get the old retainer clip off the fuel pump of my '04 1150. Prying appears to lift the gut of the fuel pump and from looking at the new one, in bag below, there are no pins, screws or clips. What am I missing? All youtube vids skip over this part, replacement of screen as well.
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Yes I did say cheap, is there an issue w dat?? :lol2

I don't recall exactly but I believe you're way over 100K mi on your Roadster right? Your shocks are past their prime ever since 30-40K mi, depending on how rough roads you rode on up to that point... :D

Indirectly you're making my point: knowing that shocks are wearable item, and OE shocks are not serviceable, it may have made sense that you did get a set of aftermarket (yellow or any other color shocks) long time ago. Thus, every 20-30K mi, you send them in for refresh so you'd get virtually new shocks and you'd still have OE shocks in decent shape on the shelf...

It's been said many times that suspension upgrade is the best investment one would make to improve upon how the bike handles thus increase pleasure in riding. Sure you can ride on worn suspension bike but that isn't the ride I would enjoy - ymmv...

Now, w all the mi you piled on, w OE highly likely worn out suspension, it doesn't make sense to spend ~$1500 on set of new suspenders (that'd be Ohlins, others may be less). Even used at ~ half, if you can find them, may be an investment stretch but then you know what your plans are w Roadster.

If you plan on keeping it, it may be worth your while to find OE take-offs w low mi... Or, just keep riding it - you got accustomed to that "ride" anyway past ~100K mi so how much worse can it get than "hard tail"?! :lol3

:thumb
    cblais19 and Patch like this.
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree on all counts :nod

I was planning on upgrading, then bought an FJR last June for my long-distance needs (it has yellows on it :lol3). That kept over 30k miles off my Roadster which up until that point was my only bike.

What I didn;t want to do was service my shocks every year. At the 20-30k interval often suggested, thats annually for me. I honestly never expected to keep my Roadster this long, I just could never bring myself to part with it as the years ticked by.

I would love to restore its potential with a great suspension and I continue to watch for them as they come up.
  18. Swamper

Oddometer:
    Patch, are you in New England USA or actually in England??
  19. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most experts (real experts, not us) agree that dollar for dollar suspension upgrades are the best performance improvements you can do for your bike. 2nd is for the rider to lose 15-20 lbs! LOL

Rick G
    jjjjjjay likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The screen is a press fit, you pry it out. The motor is also a press fit. Once the screen is off, you can press the pump motor out.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.