BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Amigo

Amigo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first thing I did to my R12R was change out the stock pegs for these Pivot Pegs. They are a big improvement, for me anyway. The top picture is showing the optional toppers in place. 84EF2D46-FD06-44B6-961A-BB5BC9D2F586.jpeg B9E49BDF-49FC-4AE2-A87E-43E05F165ABA.jpeg
    Pro Libertate, rich_mc and gusable like this.
  2. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
  3. Amigo

Oddometer:
    I reached out to James in Pivot Pegs Support, and he said that his Production Engineer had built a custom set for another R12R a few months prior, and that he would build me up a custom set, at no extra charge.
    I would send him an email through the website, and tell him what you want. I was very happy with the service and the pegs. It makes a big difference. I came off of a GS and am used to bigger pegs. The Pivot feature is an added bonus. I got the Mark 4, the longer ones. A piece of cake to install.
    rich_mc likes this.
  4. mischief

mischief misadventurer

Oddometer:
    I have some Fastway pegs on mine, they look like the pivot pegs but don't pivot, and they were of the same mounting/fitment specs as ones for a KLR.
    rich_mc and Amigo like this.
  5. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the peg tips... I'll reach out to those manufacturers after I get back home from the trip I'm on now.
  6. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wasn't cheap but I don't have a lighting problem anymore.

PXL_20210925_141505598.MP.jpg
    Amigo, bigfatkahuna, gusable and 6 others like this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
  8. 2strokemonster

2strokemonster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all:

I am looking for lowering pegs for my 2002 r1150r. my knees/hips don't like long trips. I know that I can get them from wunderlich for an exorbitant price, and I'd rather not go the route of retrofitting GS pegs/brackets/controls if I don't have to. Do I have any other options? Alternatively, will pegs for a different model fit? Like these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353283064693

Thanks in advance
  9. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Did you? I've heard the R1250 lights aren't that great?
  10. Amigo

Oddometer:

If you have the inseam, one thing that may help is to get a taller seat. Just a thought.
  11. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. The stock halogen headlight sucks monkey balls. It is one of the worst lights I've ever had on a motorcycle. Even after adjusting the aim and putting in higher power Osram bulbs it was still not really safe to go faster than around 45mph on unlit streets - you just outrun the headlights throw distance.
  12. Pro Libertate

Pro Libertate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, ladies and gents! I'm glad to see there's a thread exclusively for us R owners. I just recently picked up this '02 1150 with 1,600 miles on the odometer. From what I understand, the original owner rode it home from the dealership and decided it was too much bike for him, so there it sat in his garage for nearly two decades. The second owner (the fella' I bought it from) lost his left leg below the knee, which forced him to sell both of his bikes-- the one you see here in addition to a GS of the same vintage. It's obviously undergone a scrambler conversion; I haven't yet decided whether I'll be returning it to stock or keeping it as is. In any case, I'm anxious to brush off the cobwebs and start racking up the miles!

reduced_20210925_151632.jpg

20210925_160123.jpg
    zoid, Peels, Tundra Tom and 8 others like this.
  13. Pro Libertate

Pro Libertate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The previous owner installed some Pivot Pegz on my 1150GS, and I absolutely love 'em! I'm not sure how they compare with the IMS Products offering, but they're a solid foot peg... downright perfect in design and execution, in my humble opinion.
    gusable and Amigo like this.
  14. Amigo

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! What a jewel. I love that color. Looks like it’s got ‘em, too!
  15. 2strokemonster

2strokemonster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want to trade those GS controls for a set of stock 1150r controls in absolutely perfect shape, please let me know. That would solve my peg issue for sure. I could even throw some money for your time and shipping.
  16. sr248

sr248 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The speedo in my R1100R stopped working recently. The cable works fine — turning the wheel end causes rotation in the instrument cluster end. I turned the front wheel by hand saw that the small blade that sticks out of the hub will only turn 1.5 rotations max. I took the wheel off, got the hub out, wiped the grease and inspected the white plastic insert. The gears on it seem okay but I could not get more that 1.5 rotations by turning the insert by hand (or the small blade). It gets stuck and won’t budge unless I turn it the other way. Is this normal or a faulty hub?

If it is a faulty hub — I’m curious why it stopped working. It seems like a simple combination of gears and the gears don’t seem damaged.
  17. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    IMAG1445.jpg
    Well obviously you're going to have to find a beak.
    Amigo, Pro Libertate and DCrider like this.
  18. Pro Libertate

Pro Libertate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! The seller included the original front fender, but it won't fit with the knobby tires he installed.
  19. Pro Libertate

Pro Libertate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I believe the pegs on the 1150R were actually from the GS, as they're simply stamped "L" & "R", with no manufacturer's name or logo.

I did an oil change and upgraded the cam chain tensioner this morning before taking it for a short jaunt around the neighborhood. I'll probably check the valve clearances and perform a complete fluid service this winter so the bike will be ready to go next spring. Our riding season will likely -unfortunately- be coming to a close within the next month or so.
  20. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I have a set of these on my G650GS Sertao. Fantastic for standing while riding too.
    Recent ride in the Black Hills of S.D.
    upload_2021-9-28_9-34-40.jpeg
    Amigo likes this.