BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    ^ Show-off... :jack
  2. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Throttle and clutch control is somewhat more of a challenge while braking hard and keeping the revs high close to red line.
  3. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ If racin' motosickels is that easy, everyone would've done it... Takes a bit to master all that's involved, ain't it... :-)
  4. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have some questions:

IMG_3013 (Small).JPG
    Is there something missing from this rubber isolated mount on the left side?

IMG_3015 (Small).JPG
    Hanging right behind and above that mount is this connector. I don't see its mate anywhere. Is this a diagnostic connection? Should there be a cover on it?

IMG_3016 (Small).JPG
    Is the unused threaded attachment point for a larger battery or am I missing something here?

One more: Is there a switched power connector somewhere? I haven't found anything that looks like that. If not, is there a straightforward way to add one? I'm comfortable with wiring, and relays and such.

Thanks!
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is where the document holder is mounted.
    DSCN5716.JPG
  6. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost! That mount and connector are for the exhaust valve control. It has been removed from my bike. I have it.

2 of 4 questions answered.

I have the owner's manual but I would love a shop manual...
  7. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    You can check parts fiche for what may be fitting that rubber isolated mount on LH side: BMW Motorcycle Parts | Catalog Parts Online | MAX BMW Motorcycles

Your owner's manual should tell you where you can find switched power connectors on your bike. If you need an extra one, it should be available in parts fiche...
  8. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even after almost 4000 miles on the 1250R I still can't get tight figure eight turns down. The balance of the bike and my body position is just not working out for me like it did on my GS or on the little Honda 250 Rally I recently bought.
  9. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the link to the parts.

I should have looked more closely before I posted the questions. I'll do better.

I only have one accessory outlet. It has been modified so that it connects directly to the battery. There is a small 2-conductor connector that has some kind of "plug" inserted in it. It is covered in black electrical tape and secured with a zip tie. This connector is not connected to anything. I guess this is where the accessory socket originally connected.
  10. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I didn't get that part.
  11. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No worries... Looks like you got the bike used and the previous owner was messing with the OE connector which you could clean-up. Stock outlet is rather limited I believe to no more than 5A so it has rather limited usage...

If you still need additional connectors, it may be good idea to wire in the fuse block via relay triggered by switched power and then you'll have options for more connectors and/or additional lights and/or else...
    pckopp likes this.
  12. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad the PO messed with that accessory socket. The wires that feed it has a perfect 'switched' power line for a FuzeBlock. Its easily accessible should any need arise to check it, but mines been securely posi-tapped there for almost 150k.
    mischief and pckopp like this.
  13. LKraus

LKraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The unused connector is almost certainly still live when the ignition is on and is still suitable for triggering a relay. It will probably remain on for a short time after the ignition is switched off.
    mischief, SmittyBlackstone and pckopp like this.
  14. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, I'm sure it still works. Are mating connectors available? Mine is gone.
    Thanks.
  15. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    Got the “other twin” out for one last ride before storage. Sorry there are no Norton ADV threads to post on. :)

upload_2021-10-20_12-14-37.jpeg
    SmittyBlackstone, equ, zoid and 3 others like this.
  16. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ever since I brought home my Couch Rocket (R1250RT) my poor roadster has been feeling neglected having only put on about 2000 miles this season. So today I gave her a nice bath followed by a nice rub down and coat of wax. Tried using this new fangled ceramic hybrid wax from Meguiars. Have to admit the color really pops! I also put a coat on previously mentioned RT and my car. If it lasts a decent time, I have found my new wax. Went on very easy by hand and buffed out with micro fiber cloths again by hand. These pics are at the end of my street on the shore of Lake Erie. Overcast day and the color still pops niceley!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rick G
    JHG67, boomsling, Patch and 11 others like this.
  17. tennmoto

tennmoto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For sale?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    That bike really shines.
    SmittyBlackstone and Rick G like this.
  19. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is like asking if my daughter is for sale! :D I plan on keeping. Too much invested to make it mine.

But on the other hand make me an offer I can't refuse!

Rick G
    Patch likes this.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    And you should... 'Member ideal # of bikes you should have is N+1 ie. can never have too many... :-)

This '08 w luggage, Ohlins and 7K mi sold recently on BaT for $6500:

[​IMG]

The Roadster is under appreciated bike and as such offers much more pleasure in riding than what it is worth in bringing invested money back. Especially if nicely set-up like yours w all go-fast goodies... :evil

In other words, great for buyers to get an awesome bike on a budget and poor "return on investment" for sellers...

That said, if you still want to sell, I'll give you $10 more than whatever the other guy gives you for your '11. If you had '14 Dark white Roadster in same condition/equipment, I'd raise my offer to $25 above his best offer - can't refuse that offer now can you? :lol3
    TonyKZ1 and Rick G like this.